• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

engine warning light

irishrover14

I just got back from a 700 mile two day road trip mix of highway and mtn roads, I stopped for fuel about 50 miles from home and when I started the bike A service engine light came on, actually 3 came on, one is the yellow triangle with the exclamation point in the middle,(it first flashes red then turns yellow) the other looks like a snow flake, supposedly that means air temp and I also have a symbol with a wrench and that means I need service or something. The bike is a 2014 R1200RT I bought it used privately last year with only 4000 miles on it, I now only have a little over 7000. SO I guess what i'm asking is what do you guys think? Something simple or expensive LOL ! I'm assuming its going to the dealer it's not something I can fix. The bike runs fine, I don't notice anything different about it and i'm assuming nothing is getting more damaged anyway I appreciate any and all responses

Maybe you passed through the 6K service interval??

You also get a service warning after 12 months.
The snow flake means the outside temp is close to freezing.
There's something flaky with the last one :)

Check your headlights/taillights. That "snowflake" symbol may also be used to indicate a headlight that's burned out (it is very slightly different than the temp snowflake, but at first glance it does look like the ). I had the "lights out" symbol pop-up a couple of weeks ago, while on a trip to Duluth. At first glance, I thought the temp warning had gone haywire -- it was over 90degF! Further looking at the manual said "Check the front lights". (There was a small arrow pointing up besides the "snowflake"). In my case, the low beam was burned out.

Check your headlights/taillights. That "snowflake" symbol may also be used to indicate a headlight that's burned out (it is very slightly different than the temp snowflake, but at first glance it does look like the ). I had the "lights out" symbol pop-up a couple of weeks ago, while on a trip to Duluth. At first glance, I thought the temp warning had gone haywire -- it was over 90degF! Further looking at the manual said "Check the front lights". (There was a small arrow pointing up besides the "snowflake"). In my case, the low beam was burned out.

You may be right

Warning Light.png

Just checked the bike, looks like the low beam is out, the two eyeballs are lit but no low beam in the center , high beam works when I try it. So do I have to use a BMW bulb or can I get something from the auto store

My $.02: Changing the bulb on an RT is a PITA unless you have small hands with eyes in the fingertips, so you want to do it as infrequently as possible. My experience says use the BMW bulb as it lasts longer. My OEM bulb lasted 20K. I got a 2-pack from AutoZone (so I'd have a spare, what with BMW Motorrad dealers being around every corner donchaknow) and it lasted 10K, 10K later IT burned out oddly enough as I was pulling into a BMW dealer. So I bought 2 that day.

You'll see ads for brighter/longer lasting bulbs out there but simple physics says higher brightness is closely correlated with shorter life. Aftermarket LEDs are unlikely to have a chip that's exactly the same size and in exactly the same location as the filament of the bulb so your light pattern will be off and you may actually get the worst of both worlds: more glare to oncoming traffic AND less light on the road.

Back