• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

First to Tuktoyaktuk

Nice job! Thank you for the pictures; it looks like the country hasn't changed much since I was last up to Tuk (via tugboat pushing barges).

What's up with the small fence around the tent and bike in the campground? Did you have that on the bike as well when traveling?

Great photos and looks like a TON of fun. Thanks for sharing.

About this time of the calendar year, it makes me wonder who and riding what... was the LAST up & back on the new road.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking for advice.

I'm thinking about doing this ride in late May or early June. I live in Interior Alaska. Therefore, I'd have to ride pretty far south to even get to the highway. I live in Nenana. So, it's almost 1,500 miles one way.

A few questions:
1. Solo ride. Bad idea or easily feasible?
2. Distance between fuel stops?
3. Tires, TKC 80 (knobby) or TKC 70?
4. Once on the highway, how many miles per day is a reasonable pace?

Thank You!

I'm thinking about doing this ride in late May or early June. I live in Interior Alaska. Therefore, I'd have to ride pretty far south to even get to the highway. I live in Nenana. So, it's almost 1,500 miles one way.

A few questions:

Thank You!

Doing what ride? To Tuktoyaktuk? Or to the lower 48?

A few questions:

Easily feasible. I was #6 up the road, on an R100GS.
Carry supplies for camping, water and some emergency food, first aid gear, the usual stuff. No cell service until Inuvik, or maybe Eagle Plains. Weather is the biggest gotcha, and May or earlyJune means you may find the two ferries not yet running. I highly recommend carrying a SPOT, Garmin InReach, or PLB.

Plan on carrying fuel for 250 miles plus a small reserve. You can top up at the turnoff for the Dempster, at the unmanned card-only station there. Next gas is at Eagle Plains, about halfway up the Dempster, then Fort McPherson—except on Sundays before 1:00pm. DAMHIKT.

I went on Heidenau K-60s but of your two choices I would definitely take the TKC80s.

Totally depends upon mainly two factors: weather and your comfort level with doing long miles on poor roads. Rain can make the Dempster nearly impassable in some spots, snow even more so. Clear dry weather and dry roads can easily mean averaging 55-60 mph. I hit rain in the Tombstones on the way up and for a time was slowed to 20-30 mph by the greasy road surfaces-they use chloride to keep the dust down and it’s very slick when wet. After clearing the Tombstones the road was dry and I made very good time, guerilla-camping at Nitainlaii Territorial Park as the park doesn’t officially open until later in June when they can turn on the water. Next day I went all the way to Tuk, then returned to Inuvik and camped at the city campground, which has very good facilities.

My return trip to Dawson City was a one-day ride in clear, dry weather and I stayed at the same motel I had launched from, the Bonanza Gold, where I took advantage of their car wash to clear off some of the Dempster mud.

Just remember that WEATHER is the gorilla in the room when it comes to the Dempster, so be flexible in plans and schedules so you can adjust for weather. Also, in the time frame you are looking at the ferries can be erratic—they may be shut down to wait for breakup ice to clear and allow ferry operations, or for their dirt loading ramps to be rebuilt.

Thank You!
You’re welcome, and have a great trip! My only regret on that trip was not spending more time in Tuk, but I was eyeing a snowstorm forecast to move across from the Prudhoe area so bugged out. That storm did end up creating havoc on the Dempster, with riders stuck at Eagle Plains and bikes and injured riders being transported back to Dawson.

Best,
DeVern

Last edited:
What's up with the small fence around the tent and bike in the campground? Did you have that on the bike as well when traveling? ....

Interesting. I assume it was to keep certain animals at bay? I noticed the fence was electrified - - possibly hooked up to a portable generator or big battery? It looked like he had a chase vehicle/suv - - maybe all this was carried in it?

You're Welcome, and have a great trip! My only regret on that trip was not spending more time in Tuk, but I was eyeing a snowstorm forecast to move across from the Prudhoe area so bugged out. That storm did end up creating havoc on the Dempster, with riders stuck at Eagle Plains and bikes and injured riders being transported back to Dawson.

Best,
DeVern
Great info! Thank you. I had not gotten around to checking the ferry schedules yet. Glad you pointed that out. I have literally done zero planning so far. It's just my initial thought right now.

Back