• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R80 Tach Needle doing the dance

Anyname

The tach needle on my 86 R80 starts bouncing around at sustained high speeds. It looks just like the speedo needle does when the speedo cable is on it's way out. Only the tach on an 86 is electronic. The needle is fine a lower speeds. I tried damping the instrument pod with my hand but the pod wasn't really shaking much and it didn't appear to help much (I have to admit this was a quick experiment since I didn't get this old by riding one handed staring an the tach).

The R80 rarely sees sustained highway use, but since I have been slowly rehabbing it, I have been using it more than the other bikes.

Any thoughts? Do BMW electronic tachs get tired?

I contacted Terry Vria who was both prompt and helpful in his responses. He suspected that it wasn't the tach itself so I did some more testing.

The bouncing tach needle appears to have been due to a poor electrical connection. I damped the instrument pod with a foam wedge and the tach needle oscillation was reduced and it also started to act like an ohm meter when someone makes and breaks the connection.

Since I have always been dissatisfied with the instrument lighting and the circuit boards have been known to be dodgy as they age, I ordered a Katdash and some Deoxit (terminal cleaner) from the Katdash folks. After removing the board it was clear that the tach wiring on the board was too robust to be damaged, but I installed the Katdash anyway. I used the Deoxit on all of the connections and also tightened the tach ground connector which seemed to be a bit too easy to unplug. The net result is that the tach is back to normal.

As a positive side effect, the Katdash lighting is so much better than stock I have done the upgrade just for that reason alone. It also adds a diode in the alternator circuit so you are no longer at the mercy of the charging light for your alternator function. I hadn't realized how crappy the stock lighting was until I was testing the bike after the install. I caught myself sitting at a stop light tilting the bike and angling my body to cast a shadow on the instruments so that I could see if the turn indicator was on. Definitely no longer necessary with the LED conversion.

Back