• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Cardo, Sena, other?

FELAW

I'm getting dizzy trying to figure out what Bluetooth devices to get for me and the SO (Just the 2 of us) for the GTL. The communications manual for the bike is 100 pages long and no real help for device selection. I'm sure that some of the members have a clear and positive preference for some system to use with the GTL and I really would appreciate some help here.
Thanks.

I don't have a GTL, so I may be a little off on my suggestions. The first question in my mind, is what will you be doing with it? Is it only to communicate with your SO? Or with the GPS too? With another group of riders?

I rode with a guy last summer who picked up two of the el-cheapo Chinese BT headsets for about $49. He leads large group rides in the area and he would have one, and the sweeper in the rear had the other. They worked fine for that purpose. Something like that would probably work just fine for talking between you and your SO. Adding in the ability to hear from your GPS, shouldn't be a problem.

The difficulty or complications arise when you add in the ability to communicate with other riders. BT headsets, the name brands anyway like Sena and Cardo, have their own proprietary pairing channels. Then they will also pair to other brands, but they use the channels or pairing method that is used for smartphones. So my Sena will pair with other model Senas just fine. And it'll also pair with a Cardo or the el-cheapo Chinese brand too...just in a different method.

If you never plan to ride with others, then I'd say look at the el-cheapo Chinese versions. The Goldwing rider who had one last summer, had no problems with his working at all, and he used it a lot...both on the trip and when riding locally.

Chris

I use the SMH10R and have been extremely satisfied. The unit has been in service now for 5 years, only one battery replacement. I'ts used primarily for GPS interface and phone calls. The VOX works every time, with great noise cancelling, my wife swears phone calls are more quiet when Im on the bike than when Im in the car. The intercom function works just as good. The unit is small, unobtrusive, and very light. I use a pair of "Big Ears" custom molded ear plugs and have sufficient volume under all be the most extreme conditions.

Good luck with your search.

I think you'd be very satisfied with most or all of the Sena products. My GSA has the NAV 5; I Bluetooth my Sena and iPhone 6 to it and typically communicate with up to four people at one time. A minor issue I've noted with mine (it is an older SMH-10) is that sometimes the phone pairing drops off. If you've got the NAV VI and/or a newer version of iPhone or Android, this may be a non-issue. I also store music on my NAV 5 and the sound quality is excellent. I would certainly get another one in a heartbeat.

http://www.buysena.com/

We have a Cardo Smartpack twin set. They're the same as the top of the line Packtalk but for much less $$.
Sound quality is good, you can have a conversation at speed without shouting.
They're fine for music streaming and sharing.
And as all top of the line devices will connect bluetooth with your bike/gps/cell, etc.

The only limitation is the BT connection to the bike's sound system. But that is a BMW limitation shared with all other brands. You can only connect one headset unless it's a BMW branded device. Unless BMW or someone else has found a fix for that, being able to share the music from your device works around the problem.

I've been with Cardo for a long time and have never been dissatisfied with them. They've always worked for me. All in all, having tried both Sena and Cardo, they're IMO about equal. The only reason I see to switch or select one over the other would be if you rode with others and they didn't have compatible device. And even that is changing as now both brands can pair with others.

We have a Cardo Smartpack twin set. They're the same as the top of the line Packtalk but for much less $$.
Sound quality is good, you can have a conversation at speed without shouting.
They're fine for music streaming and sharing.
And as all top of the line devices will connect bluetooth with your bike/gps/cell, etc.

The only limitation is the BT connection to the bike's sound system. But that is a BMW limitation shared with all other brands. You can only connect one headset unless it's a BMW branded device. Unless BMW or someone else has found a fix for that, being able to share the music from your device works around the problem.

I've been with Cardo for a long time and have never been dissatisfied with them. They've always worked for me. All in all, having tried both Sena and Cardo, they're IMO about equal. The only reason I see to switch or select one over the other would be if you rode with others and they didn't have compatible device. And even that is changing as now both brands can pair with others.

Sena 30K will not pair with my new '17 RT...at all. It recognizes the Sena but will not pair with it. Per instructions, I turn off my phone and all other bluetooth, I clear the memory on the Sena and on the bike. Pairing fail error after 2 minutes of churning. So far, the only thing Sena will do is pair with my phone and play my saved music like an iPod. Oh, and it recieves FM...badly. I have not been able to make or receive a call with it.

I'm pretty disappointed with the 30K and I'm not the only one...the Sena forum is not kind to these people.

Cardo is the company that makes the BMW stuff. I know people with Cardos that can pair with new BMW systems...but only one helmet.....They can intercom with each other, but only the rider can hear the navigation or music from the bike.

So...I would not recommend Sena...especially not the new and pricey 30K, for BMW use. Maybe the older ones work, but this new one will not.

:beer

Just sold the Sena 20s Ive used for almost a year, for me and my wife Sena worked ok, as a group they sucked big time. As a group it was snack crackel and pop, very crappy sound, getting cut off in a 1/4 mile very difficult to reconnect.

The Cardo Packtalk BOLD is by far the most sweet setup for us now. The mesh system is great, sound is great, functions are killer.

In our group now every one of us can be listening to our own music and talk at the same time and adjustable volume to fit your need.
The "Hey Cardo" function like you have with Siri is bar non killer with the Cardo Bold.
The speakers on Cardo kick ass big time.
We have yet to test distance on the open road so Ill keep people posted on that test.

Cant believe I wasted my time with Sena.

I have had success with Nolan helmets and their NCOM units.I will be replacing my current N104 with the Nolan N100-5 soon.

from Planet Dirt

Hi there:
I have the 20S Motorcycle Blue tooth communication System from SENA.
It is an amazing device that once you get used to have it, it becomes a very important part of the rider, that much, that without it , feels like you don't have one of the rear view mirrors, or a faulty front brake..........you name it.
It comes with all the wires and pads you would want to have to try any setting inside your helmet.
The sound is great, the bluetooth 4.1 works really well, I love the FM radio and the intercom lets you comminucate up to with 7 more riders. I only do it with my two kids when we ride together,,,,,,,,,,and the only flaw I see in the system is, you loose intercom contact with the other or others when you ride in areas that are not flat and a hill or something like it is in between you and the other, or others. Even a line of trees between you and the others will make you loose contact. The manual says you can communicate via intercom to up to 1.2 miles..........straight line and nothing in between......I would add to that.
I love this system, it's money well invested.
I read the coments about how crappy the SENA system worked for others, I don't know what to tell them, but one thing I would say: Sena gives two years warranty on manufacturing defects of any kind replacing free of charge whatever it needs to be replaced.......and I know it's a hustle to have something new that needs to be repaired or replaced, but it's an option.......
I would add something more: I like to buy my stuff in places that give me at least 30 days to return the item and get my money back .....no questions asked......I didn't get that luxury with this units, but everytime i'm buying something, I look for that,,,,,,,,and those companies offering that, forever have my business.

Dan

How do these work with a Modular Helmet?

We have one schuberth and one HJC...………..

My concern is with the Mic Boom. How well does fit in the helmet?

any help appreciated.
tks,
jason

any help appreciated.
tks,
jason
For me, my Senas have always worked well with my modular and non-modular helmets. However, I'm not a fan of the Boom Mic and how it was constantly getting repositioned by brushing against my face when putting on the helmet or against the helmet when closing it.

To get rid of that issue and still have a very usable setup I positioned my "universal" boom mic in between the cheek-pad and the helmet with virtually no wand portion of it sticking out. Have a look at Richard Battle's instillation here (
).

What I had done was to have much less of the wand portion sticking out. (for some reason the pictures are rotating when I upload them, sorry)

20180817_182012.jpg

This is another view. The small mic on the bottom is for my Sena Prism Tube camera.
20180817_182043.jpg

The mic position for my comms is out of the way and angled so that it fits right into the space by the chin-bar but doesn't interfere with the helmet or my face when putting the helmet on, taking it off or wearing it. Everyone has a different take on what works best for them, this is what I like.

My $0.02

I'd consider myself pretty geeky and when I got my F800 two years ago endeveroured to find the "best" (for me) bluetooth setup for my helmet and after much fiddling and testing I've been quite happy with the Cardo Pactalk.

ear plugs

any help appreciated.
tks,
jason

Regarding modular helmets, I have a Schuberth C3 Pro, considered to be relatively quiet (from what I've read) but I never could hear well enough (and I tried many, many things) till I purchased hard-wired ear buds (SPlugs) which plug directly in to the Cardo Packtalk jacks. As for the mic boom, it is attached to the helmet, not the flip-up facemask, so is always well-located. If another rider flips open his mask while riding it breaks the squelch and is noisy, but the squelch is adjustable somewhat via the phone app.

Cardo Packtalk works reasonably well--I am satisfied--but I would be tempted to investigate the one with the camera (Sena 10C) if it was just me and a riding companion. But I have no knowledge of it personally.

For me, my Senas have always worked well with my modular and non-modular helmets. However, I'm not a fan of the Boom Mic and how it was constantly getting repositioned by brushing against my face when putting on the helmet or against the helmet when closing it.

To get rid of that issue and still have a very usable setup I positioned my "universal" boom mic in between the cheek-pad and the helmet with virtually no wand portion of it sticking out. Have a look at Richard Battle's instillation here (
).

What I had done was to have much less of the wand portion sticking out. (for some reason the pictures are rotating when I upload them, sorry)

View attachment 69787

This is another view. The small mic on the bottom is for my Sena Prism Tube camera.
View attachment 69788

The mic position for my comms is out of the way and angled so that it fits right into the space by the chin-bar but doesn't interfere with the helmet or my face when putting the helmet on, taking it off or wearing it. Everyone has a different take on what works best for them, this is what I like.

Thit is a really LARGE microphone! How do you find room for your face?

I have a C3. I use a Packtalk Slim on it. The JBLs are great.

The secret to a quiet helmet is the windscreen. I have Aeroflow Tall. I like the Cardo to my phone only and plug the phone into power in the tank bag. I don't liink to the bike. Verbal commands work great when helmet is quiet.

I have molded ear speakers but they push against the speakers in my helmet when I use them. Not hard, but enough that I get sore after an hour or so.

Helmet speakers are fine for me. When you don't plug the bike's widgets in to the Cardo, phone works as intended, music is much clearer and you just play your music through the phone without the bike distorting it. When phone is plugged into the bike's power, you don't run out of battery.

"Hey Cardo, next track" works fine for me if something comes on that I don't need to hear. If I get a call, the music shuts off and the phone rings. "Answer" will get me on the phone. "End Call" hangs it up.

"Hey Cardo, Volume up"

I'd consider myself pretty geeky and when I got my F800 two years ago endeveroured to find the "best" (for me) bluetooth setup for my helmet and after much fiddling and testing I've been quite happy with the Cardo Pactalk.

I agree. Was toss up for Sena 30R or whatever it was but none of the Sena are waterproof! That won't do for me. Whatever brand definitely mesh if you can afford it.

I've got one helmet with the sena 20s, two others with cardo ptb units installed.

Cardo's connect to other units easier IMO.

I bought a Cardo Freecom 1+ for in July for my Wife (passenger) and I. With Cardo's sale and 20% off coupon I got a 1+ duo for $160. This works great for rider and passenger. Does what more expensive units do without group capability and activation by voice. It does activate the intercom by voice, but you have to use the buttons for volume and invoking whatever assistant you use. I upgraded from a 10 year old Cardo and was an excellent upgrade with out paying $300 plus for a unit. If I were in groups I would get the packtalk bold.

I use Shure se215 in-ear monitors with them.

https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/earphones/se215

https://www.cardosystems.com/shop/freecom-1-plus/

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've had both Cardo and Sena units. Sena was my choice until the Cardo Packtalk Bold came along. No question that the Packtalk Bold is more reliable in wet weather, Sena replaced several units for me that got soaked. But the ease of pairing and repairing the Cardo units with Mesh technology is hands down the best feature.

Back