• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Logging In Issue, Was It Just Me?

royce

Have not been able to log-in to the Forum for the past couple of days. The site wanted me to re-register and/or create a new user ID and password before allowing me to log in. I did neither, rather simply moved onto other sites. Finally this morning, bingo, the Forum was back to normal and my regular user ID and password works fine.

Anyone else have similar issues?

There are a number of things that can cause this type of login confusion......
Some are-
Never specifically loging out.
Incorrect password.
Older site "cookie".
The easiest way to check something like this is to try to log in from another device.
Your in now so you are good to go.
OM

Same for me and I got a 502 message as well. It has since obviously been resolved somehow but not by me..:scratch
I always clear out history, memory caches etc after each visit so I have no idea what it could have been..

On rare occasion, I arrive at the forum site and have to login in. Hard to really tell why this would be happening. Maybe some updates in the background...maybe the convoluted nature of the internet...maybe a solar flare?? Typically, if there's going to be some kind of shutdown, we try and put up a notice. But barring that, just keep trying and as Gary said, see if another device in a different location acts differently. Seems things fix themselves and we probably will never know why.

This may be old hat to most, but maybe some will find it useful. Two issues have been mentioned in this thread:
• Coming to the site and having to login again
• Coming to the site and having an attempt to login rejected.

For background, all sites like this remember who is logged in by storing a cookie (or several) on the user's computer. If you intentionally or accidentally delete cookies, it will ask you to login again. Coming to the site and not being able to login is more complicated. One cause could be having the wrong password, but that is pretty obvious and other issues can lead to the same result. Sometimes you can learn something about the problem by opening a developer console and looking at what the site is telling you. Probably not particularly useful to most.

If you don't intentionally delete cookies, you likely have cookies for thousands of sites stored on your computer/device. I have mine set up to delete cookies as soon as I leave a site except for a few that I want to stay logged in to.

Incidentally and not particularly relevant, if you ever visit Facebook, Facebook will store a cookie on your computer. With this cookie stored on your device, every time you visit any site with a Facebook logo on it, which is almost every site these days, the site will notify Facebook that you are there. So Facebook can track everywhere you go on the internet. I always delete Facebook cookies after I leave a Facebook page, (I rarely ever visit Facebook).

Facebook is the worst for tracking and getting targeted ads on your page when you read an article or shopped on another site and didn’t clear your cache and cookies. I dumped FB a few months back and almost immediately saw a reduction in spam/junk emails. This is priceless btw:dance

Back