• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dumb question, please go easy on the newb

brownie0486

Rain mode on my 2012 1200GS. What button, how to set it?

Is it the same button for 1 up, luggage, mountain etc?

Bikes in the shop and I can't find it on the manual.

Rain mode on my 2012 1200GS. What button, how to set it?

Is it the same button for 1 up, luggage, mountain etc?

Bikes in the shop and I can't find it on the manual.

Try page 60 of your manual...Right side switch MODE button (above starter button) ~ keep pushing it and it will take you through modes.

Page 60 doesn't show any button above starter button on my manual. This is a 2012 oil cooled GS. I wish the damned bike was in front of me instead of being serviced.

Appreciate the reply sir.

Page 60 doesn't show any button above starter button on my manual. This is a 2012 oil cooled GS. I wish the damned bike was in front of me instead of being serviced.

Appreciate the reply sir.

It appears the MODES did not arrive till Oct 2012, as a 2013 model (in USA?). No wonder there isn't reference to it in your manual.

Rain Mode

My '12 GS doesn't have rain mode.

I think rain mode is only available with throttle by wire, which are not on 12s.

My '12 GS doesn't have rain mode.

I think rain mode is only available with throttle by wire, which are not on 12s.

No wonder I can't find it. So with the Heinadua's a little squirelly in the rain and on snakes, what would members suggest? Rely on traction control, set it on comfort mode or normal or sport to get the best chance of staying upright?

Appreciate all the assists folks.

It appears the MODES did not arrive till Oct 2012, as a 2013 model (in USA?). No wonder there isn't reference to it in your manual.

Thought I was just being a duh, not being able to find it in the manual.

Thanks to you as well sir.

I would depend on the connection between the brain and the right wrist. :)

Yes sir, I'm not heavy on the throttle to begin with. Just have to be extra careful on wet roads with this particularly hard rubber tire. It's the trade off for longevity.

:thumb

It would seem that you must have ASC (automatic stability control) which you could switch off. If there's no separate switch for that on your GS, then you probably don't have it. I added it to my 2008 RT, and it saved my butt while romping east across Texas' I-20 in the rain in 2012.

If you don't have it, I think it could be retro-fitted to your 2012 for a few hundred $$. A hardwired switch and some software (from Germany) is added to the bike. It uses the ABS sensors to attempt to keep you upright.

It would seem that you must have ASC (automatic stability control) which you could switch off. If there's no separate switch for that on your GS, then you probably don't have it. I added it to my 2008 RT, and it saved my butt while romping east across Texas' I-20 in the rain in 2012.

If you don't have it, I think it could be retro-fitted to your 2012 for a few hundred $$. A hardwired switch and some software (from Germany) is added to the bike. It uses the ABS sensors to attempt to keep you upright.

I have ASC on the 2012GS. Apparently I'd want it on for spin control or in this case slip control hitting a snake. It's on by default, so that's the best I can hope for with this fairly well known issue with the Heidenau on wet roads. I don't ride hard to begin with, but the reports the tire can break loose on snakes or white lines fairly easily due to it's hard compound means I watch where the wheels are headed more closely if the roads are damp/wet.

Thanks to those who've responded. It seems ASC and being vigilant in the rain is a trade off of the tire used. The reason the tire gets high mileage is the rear wheel has a center strip for long highway runs. Once the bike is leaned over a little, the knobs kick in and it's not as slippery on the snakes, white lines.

Back