• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What would you have done?

A very silly masquerade.

There's a reason the folks at Langlitz in Portland, OR sell all the custom "cafe"/James Dean-type jackets they can make. Give 'em the best part of a grand and after a few months on the waiting list, you too can dress like the "tribe," even if you don't ride. Same raison d etre for the HD textile line. Of course $1400 for a BMW Motorrad Ralleye suit is an entirely different matter. Entirely..... :)

Back to the OP's question: What would you have done? I like several other's response: If riding alone, I'd either race ahead or drop back smartly. People sometimes exhibit behaviors in a group they would not otherwise. This made the dynamics of that engagement unpredictable. I learned a lot of lessons in a career in federal law enforcement and in dangerous situations one of them was this: control what you can and avoid what you cannot. With few exceptions, I do not have to win every engagement, but I do have to survive them.

One thing that can happen with any type of group ride; (not saying it's right,but it DOES happen) the riders toward the back of the group can constantly worry about getting separated from the rest of the group (stop lights, traffic, etc). They might not even know how to get to their destination without following the group. But separation anxiety from the group definitely can play a part in some group rides. The leader doesn't always consider the effect his lane changes has on keeping the group together. When they get separrated (even by one or two cars) some riders freak out and do dumb stuff trying to get un separated. Others consider it inconsiderate to STAY in the middle of their group, whether you are in a car or on a bike.

In the OPs situation, "I"would have, as soon as possible, waved the two guys that were behind me by to rejoin their group. Then I would have worked the flow of traffic and been long gone. I would either be in front of all of them or behind all of them, but "I" would never stay in the middle of someone elses group no matter if they were riding BMWs, Harleys, or Schwinns. It doesn't seem right to me. That's what "I" would have done.

I know others feel like they own their lane or the whole road and see no reason to cooperate and make others ride easier. To each his own. I usually find that a little bit of cooperation makes everyones day better. I am always going faster than 99.9% traffic, but if someone comes up in my mirrors, I move over and let them be on their way without slowing either of us down.

That's what "I" would have done.:dunno

:dance:dance:dance

In the OPs situation, "I"would have, as soon as possible, waved the two guys that were behind me by to rejoin their group. Then I would have worked the flow of traffic and been long gone. I would either be in front of all of them or behind all of them, but "I" would never stay in the middle of someone elses group no matter if they were riding BMWs, Harleys, or Schwinns. It doesn't seem right to me. That's what "I" would have done.

I know others feel like they own their lane or the whole road and see no reason to cooperate and make others ride easier. To each his own. I usually find that a little bit of cooperation makes everyones day better. I am always going faster than 99.9% traffic, but if someone comes up in my mirrors, I move over and let them be on their way without slowing either of us down.

That's what "I" would have done.:dunno

This spring my wife and I were on Arkansas 23 north of Turner Bend. As we were going north past a overlook with a large group of bikes, half of them pulled out in front of us and half behind us.
They were Hondas, BMWs and Harleys.
After a few miles we guessed they were all in one group even though they had different brands. The front riders were going at a good clip and a pace we wanted since we knew the road, so we started to move to the right when we had straight stretches and allowed the back riders to rejoin their group.
We were all going the same speed but I didn't like being in the middle of a large group I did not know.
After the last rider went by, we stayed right with them until Eureka Springs.
It was a fun ride because they were going the speed we wanted and they were not doing anything stupid when passing cars.
This was the first year of having intercoms and it was really nice we could discuss passing the lead bikes or dropping to the back of the pack.

Well yes, I suppose. However, what club that predominantly rides Hondas or Kawasakis or BMWs has been the subject of RICO convictions, or has engaged in an armed shootout like happened at the restaurant in Waco? Despite platitudes to the contrary, we are not all brothers and sisters just because we ride two wheels.

from a book titled... Let's Ride: Sonny Barger's Guide to Motorcycling (2010). said:
In terms of pure workmanship, personally I don't like Harleys. I ride them because I'm in the club, and that's the image, but if I could I would seriously consider riding a Honda ST1100 or a BMW. We really missed the boat not switching over to the Japanese models when they began building bigger bikes. I'll usually say "F... Harley-Davidson."

— 20px, 20px, – Ralph "Sonny" Barger, Hell's Angel

I am glad the Angels made this mistake. Otherwise the Truly Bad (c) and all the wannabes and hangers-on would be riding straight-piped GS Adventures wearing pirate costumes and I would be relegated to riding an 800 lb. behemoth behind a bat-wing fairing in full-on Aerostich.

Prolly stole it...

HellsAngelonBMW-M.jpg

Back