• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1996 K1100LT fork strip

walt3022

I recently bought a low-miles 1996 K1100LT. The bike had sat unused for many years; both fork seals require replacement. Yesterday I began the job with the right fork assembly. It's impossible to separate the stanchion from the slider. Apparently one of the fork bushings has been dislodged and jams against the other, preventing the separation of the slider from the stanchion. What options do I have to fix this problem?
It occurs to me: I can buy new or used pieces; I can MAYBE separate the two with sheer physical force, destroying the bushes and maybe the slider; cut the slider off of the stanchion; or, try to remove the circlip and oil seal, then try to slip some shim stock between the stanchion and slider to ease the bush back into it's place. I must say that none of these ideas seems attractive or practical. :scratch
How have others resolved this problem?

I recently bought a low-miles 1996 K1100LT. The bike had sat unused for many years; both fork seals require replacement. Yesterday I began the job with the right fork assembly. It's impossible to separate the stanchion from the slider. Apparently one of the fork bushings has been dislodged and jams against the other, preventing the separation of the slider from the stanchion. What options do I have to fix this problem?
It occurs to me: I can buy new or used pieces; I can MAYBE separate the two with sheer physical force, destroying the bushes and maybe the slider; cut the slider off of the stanchion; or, try to remove the circlip and oil seal, then try to slip some shim stock between the stanchion and slider to ease the bush back into it's place. I must say that none of these ideas seems attractive or practical. :scratch
How have others resolved this problem?

That is normal. You need to "bang" it apart in slide hammer fashion. The interfering bushing will slip out of the slider. You will need a fork seal driver to put it back together.

K1100LT Fork Strip

Get a repair manual. The only problem you need to fix is that you don’t know how to do this job.

I happen to have a Clymer/Haynes repair manual. It has, among the 700 or so pages, instructions for disassembling the forks in the addendum for the later models. Not one word is mentioned about the sliders failing to separate from the stanchions. For that reason, I asked for help in this forum.
Your answer was not the least bit helpful.
Hope you had a wonderful Father's Day.

Then you need a better one. It never said to pull the wire ring first? That’s basic with any slider bushing design. What does it say about the damper rod?

See if you can find the BMW manual.

Checked the BMW manual and it did not mention pulling the wire ring first, but to me this is something you simply always do with slider bushing forks so that the lower bushing can push the upper bushing and seal out if needed. Push the dust seal up, remove the wire ring, heat the top of the slider (to the point that you can't leave your finger on it) and then if the tube doesn't slide out easily it will be easier for it to take the upper bushing and seal out. Showa forks always interfere here. Marzocchi don't always.

And there's nothing wrong with not knowing something... I don't want that comment of mine to be misunderstood. I don't know how to set Desmo valves, tend orchids, or write OOP.

O, come on !

It's just a motorcycle.

No reason to beat down newcomers or anyone that wants some technical information. Everyone learns new things by doing and asking questions. Everyone.

One is certainly entitled to their opinion, but one must remember that maybe no one wants to hear it.

To Walt3032. Stay at it and ask away. Don't ever be hesitant to do so in this forum.

Charlie

Back