• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1996 k1100rs brake lights

bwoods1100

Hello all. I'm having issues getting my brake lights to work. All wiring is hooked up properly and the bulbs are fine. I checked the fuse panel on the left side of the bike and none are blown and no fuses are missing. Any ideas? Also, is the brake fuse located somewhere other than the fuse box on the left side of the bike is inline somewhere? My klimer manual doesn't state.

Key on? Kill switch in run position?

Does tail light work?

Does brake light work when pulling front brake lever?

Does brake light work when pushing rear brake pedal?

Is your bulb monitor showing a fault?

Do the rear turn indicators work?

Does your fuel guage work?

When did the brake lights last work?

What changed or what did you work on since they last worked?

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
is engine running when you are checking them? kickstand up?

just went through this....no brake lights. lots of troubleshooting only to find they were working as designed. kickstand up, engine on, lights work.

Marshall,

I might be wrong (I remember a time or twenty when I was), but looking at the K1100 schematic, I don't think the side stand needs to be up or the engine running for the brake lights to work. It would be nice if someone who currently owns a K1100 could confirm this one way or another for us.

The brake and tail lights are fused through Fuse #1. Do you have voltage at Fuse#1?

http://i16.servimg.com/u/f16/16/61/73/02/sikrin11.jpg

Last edited:
There's a separate taillight wiring subharness that uses a big blocky connector behind the taillight, kind of to the right. Check for voltage there and make sure that the contacts are clean. It's an unsealed design so you can check voltage on both sides before you disturb anything, if you're curious.

Marshall,

I might be wrong (I remember a time or twenty when I was), but looking at the K1100 schematic, I don't think the side stand needs to be up or the engine running for the brake lights to work. It would be nice if someone who currently owns a K1100 could confirm this one way or another for us.

The brake and tail lights are fused through Fuse #1. Do you have voltage at Fuse#1?

http://i16.servimg.com/u/f16/16/61/73/02/sikrin11.jpg

fuse #1 does not get power unless the ignition is on and the kickstand is up. it only provides brake light power, not tail light power.

I have a 96 K1100RS sitting in my shop now. checked it. a lot. (while troubleshooting the brake lights.)

kickstand down = no engine power
no engine power = no brake lights

Last edited:
fuse #1 does not get power unless the ignition is on and the kickstand is up. it only provides brake light power, not tail light power.

I have a 96 K1100RS sitting in my shop now. checked it. a lot. (while troubleshooting the brake lights.)

kickstand down = no engine power
no engine power = no brake lights

That's one sweet looking K11RS SE.

Hopefully bwoods1100 (the OP) will get back to us and see if that solved his problem. He is new to this forum and hopefully he realizes that this works better when feedback comes full circle with a result.

98lee thank you for clarifying the subdtle nuances of forum operation. Lots of great responses I see. Sorry about the delay , I haven't had the chance to play mechanic in a few days. Kickstand is up, engine power is on, both brake lights are new, every fuse in that bike is good (when you don't know which one it is you just check all of them haha), and lastly I have power to the brake light bulb harnesses (verified via test light). I'm guessing this means it a ground issue.

Back