• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New brake pads now vibration

motodan

Only 8,800 miles on this '08 RT, but bought in January and still going through it. While it didn't need pads, I decided to replace anyway....wanted bike in a new state at beginning of ownership. Went with EBC "HH"...easy off with old, on with new. Small amount anti-seize on back plate. Rode this morning getting some slight to moderate shutter/vibes when slowing down. Looked at old pads and noticed while one end of pad material was not tapered the other was. I haven't looked at the new installed pads (just threw them on)...did I miss checking for tapered end (if there is one) to go on at front of disc rotation...or ????

WHEN WILL A LEARN TO LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE?!

Most pads have no taper in the direction of travel (the narrow sides). I don't think that is your problem and doubt the EBC pads are tapered there. Most likely you got some contamination on the rotors or pads during installation or didn't break them in properly after installation.

Here is a decent tutorial...

[video]https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/video-tips-how-to-change-your-brakes[/video]

Don't let a mistake doing something dissuade you from learning and moving on. No-one is born knowing this stuff. Over time you will advance to new and more interesting mistakes. I have found that the permanence of the education rises with the value of the parts ruined.

Most pads have no taper in the direction of travel (the narrow sides). I don't think that is your problem and doubt the EBC pads are tapered there. Most likely you got some contamination on the rotors or pads during installation or didn't break them in properly after installation.

Here is a decent tutorial...

[video]https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/video-tips-how-to-change-your-brakes[/video]

Don't let a mistake doing something dissuade you from learning and moving on. No-one is born knowing this stuff. Over time you will advance to new and more interesting mistakes. I have found that the permanence of the education rises with the value of the parts ruined.

Only 15 lightly used miles on them thus far, so not sure break in process is a concern at this stage. And I did clean rotors during pad install. I called EBC for their insight, they said to put 50 to 75 miles on them to see if they smooth out...if not I'm to call them back. Will see what transpires. Never had a problem with new pads before.

Motodan - I saw your post and even though I have a 2015 RT, I thought I'd reply. I changed all the pads on my 2015 RT yesterday at 29,320 miles, using EBC products. I followed the JVB video to the letter. I did not put anti-seize on the back of the six plates, but did put a very thin layer on the pins (two in front, one in back) that seem to hold everything in the calipers. I took the bike out for a 10-mile ride this afternoon, and all seemed fine. I noticed no immediate difference between the feel and response of the new pads versus the old.

I've read various bits of information about what is called the "bedding" of the pads. It seems this is the process of getting new pads to adhere (if that's the term) closely to old rotors. EBC offers some information on this process (which lasts about 300 miles) here: https://ebcbrakes.com/articles/motorcycle-bed-in/

I hope this is helpful.

JG

Appreciate the replies. After putting an additional 200 miles on those EBC pads I still wasn't satisfied...they will not stop without vibs from moderate shuddering. I ended up buying (the made of gold - $$$$) BMW pads. As you know they're expensive, but in this case, it was certainly worth it. Brakes are like they should be now, no more shuddering. EBC told me to call them back on this, which I will do. This was an unusual experience with their product. Used them before without problem...I think at least one of the sets is defective.

Last edited:
Back