• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Member needs advice on 2018 R1200RT/2018 RGSA

Moe13

Greetings!
A newbie here. So glad to be a part of the forum.

I'll be getting a new bike for Father's Day (which is this upcoming Sunday... Yikes!)
Planning to ride both pavement (and maybe someday some off-road, as well). I've been riding for the past 29 years and own several bikes, but this one will be my very first BMW. I do believe fundamentally BMW are a better bike. German engineering. Plain and simple. But they charge a lot for it... :hungover

Trying to decide which one to buy (2018 R1200RT or... 2018 RGS/Adventure) :banghead
I've taken a test rides on the 2018 R1200RT, unfortunately- the 2018 RGS/Adventure wasn't available for me to ride. Does anyone here have insights, opinions, complaints, reviews or advice on both bikes?

I'm really at a crossroads, a huge decision to make and I am not sure which one is a better bike. Looking for a new bike that I can keep "for life" -- a "swiss-army knife" kind of bike that will provide comfort, technology and everything that a man needs to travel through every nook and cranny of this entire country.

Please help me... :wave
Thank you in advance!

Welcome to the forum, and good on you for the Father's Day gift! :thumb

I don't really have any wisdom one way or the other, but when you said "Swiss army knife" and I think that points to the GSA. Doubt seriously you could get away with much in the way of off-road with the RT.

I, personally, am not a fan of the oh so popular GS. Love the RT, but have to tell you after test-riding the R 1200 RS, well . . . I bought one. If you can, give that a test ride before deciding. If you are not a fan of the RS, then my pick would be the RT. I was at the dealer to pick up an RT when I did just that. Have not regretted it one moment. Love the R 1200 RS!

Planning to ride both pavement (and maybe someday some off-road, as well). I've been riding for the past 29 years and own several bikes, but this one will be my very first BMW. I do believe fundamentally BMW are a better bike. German engineering. Plain and simple. But they charge a lot for it... :hungover

Trying to decide which one to buy (2018 R1200RT or... 2018 RGS/Adventure) :banghead
I've taken a test rides on the 2018 R1200RT, unfortunately- the 2018 RGS/Adventure wasn't available for me to ride. Does anyone here have insights, opinions, complaints, reviews or advice on both bikes?

You have really answered your own question.

To do off road in the future (at all) your choice must be a GS(A). But if the reality is you will never be off road and the RT rides well/is comfortable for you the RT is probably better. Many, many GS's never leave the paved road but their owners "might" or the GS is more comfortable for them. Need to test the GS to know how it feels on the road.......

GD

Last edited:
Finally.....!!!

Thanks so much everybody!
Finally got my first BMW bike yesterday... so excited!!!

Just picked up my very first BMW motorcycle -- A brand-new R1200RT in Carbon Black!
All I can say is "WOW"..... :wow

Thank you all for your great tips and insights!

New bike

Just picked up my very first BMW motorcycle -- A brand-new R1200RT in Carbon Black!
All I can say is "WOW"..... :wow

Thank you all for your great tips and insights!

Congrats!! Glad you got it, you'll have to post a pic. Have fun riding!!!

Jerry

Back