• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sad story about a young traveler.

I suggest caution is in order before contributing to internet appeals for help. Donations to this cause evidently are to be made through GoFundMe, and GoFundMe offers a guarantee to donors. But I still recommend doing some homework before sending money off..

“In Bolivia the victim has no protection. I have traveled a lot and I have never encountered so much bureaucracy and so much corruption.” ... Sorry guys but this exactly why I won't even go near any S./Central American countries. I also had a friend from Columbia, he said even he would not go back to visit because soon as someone finds out he now lives in the U.S. he will sure be kidnapped. I am not sure what 'inspired' this woman to go there and ride out in the middle of nowhere especially by herself. Not very brilliant idea.

When I start to get too judgmental about other's choices, I remember the parents of students I had who tried to help me by pointing out how dangerous motorcycles are, and how I was a bad role model to my students.

Sad.

Voni

“In Bolivia the victim has no protection. I have traveled a lot and I have never encountered so much bureaucracy and so much corruption.” ... Sorry guys but this exactly why I won't even go near any S./Central American countries. I also had a friend from Columbia, he said even he would not go back to visit because soon as someone finds out he now lives in the U.S. he will sure be kidnapped. I am not sure what 'inspired' this woman to go there and ride out in the middle of nowhere especially by herself. Not very brilliant idea.

The State Department advises "normal travel precautions" for Bolivia - the same level as Canada, Great Britain, and France. But what do they know anyway.

An attractive woman, traveling alone in a foreign country, what could possibly go wrong? She is fortunate to be alive. I don't understand what people think is a good plan.

Sorry, but I wouldn't travel there alone, and I am old, fat and not that attractive!

An attractive woman, traveling alone in a foreign country, what could possibly go wrong? She is fortunate to be alive. I don't understand what people think is a good plan.

Sorry, but I wouldn't travel there alone, and I am old, fat and not that attractive!

+1

_________________________________________________________________________________

The State Department advises "normal travel precautions" for Bolivia - the same level as Canada, Great Britain, and France. But what do they know anyway.

The Canadians are saying:
Risk level(s)
Bolivia - Exercise a high degree of caution
Exercise a high degree of caution in Bolivia due to the continuing political and social tensions and frequent, illegal roadblocks throughout the country.

It's about the same caution as the US and UK travel warnings when you get into the details. There's lots of warnings of violence and kidnappings in all three...almost like they copied the text from one country's web page to another.

Robbery and assaults occur at tourist destinations. You should be especially careful when walking around tourist areas in La Paz, such as Sagarnaga Street, the San Francisco Church vicinity and the historical Jaen Street, and when hiking in the areas surrounding La Paz, such as the Muela del Diablo. When travelling near Rurrenabaque in the Bolivian Andes, in Los Yungas and on the Inca trails, remain in large groups and only join tours organized by reputable tour operators.

In the Chapare area between Santa Cruz and Cochabamba and in Los Yungas region, northeast of La Paz, violence (such as carjackings) and civil unrest, mainly associated with drug trafficking, may cause risks to travellers. In the departments of Santa Cruz, Pando and Beni, police presence has intensified due to the increase in drug-related crimes. The situation is also tense in areas along Bolivia’s border with Peru.

Rurrenabaque is where she was attacked. It says to stay in "large groups", not as an individual traveler.

Women's safety
Incidents of sexual assault, including rape, have been reported throughout the country, including at clubs and hostels.

Last edited:
Kinda missing the point here, are we not?

Not so sure we are.

An attractive but naïve woman dreams of traveling solo through South America, and ignores probable consequences that will arise out of the lawless countries and corrupt governments she must pass through.

I hardly think its "too judgmental" to spotlight the near-insanity of this grand plan, as a caution to others who think that any and all regions of this planet are fair game for motorcycle travel, just because we treasure our 'wunderlust' attitude. Many areas of the world (including Detroit) are dangerous and should be avoided. That's a reality everyone should embrace.

She took predictable risks, and suffered predictable consequences. Never losing sight of the fact that she is still the victim, one shouldn't lose sight of the reality that poor choices = poor results.

Fund her if you so wish, but judging her decision-making 'logic' doesn't make you a bad person. It's a thought-process that forms the basis for common sense. :nono

Last edited:
Interesting comments. Myself? I think we should all understand the risks vs rewards of our adventures on two wheels.

She probably knew the risks, chose to make the trip and took her chances for a trip of a lifetime experience. It takes a hearty soul to make a trip like that, let alone alone and female. I give her a lot of credit for exploring the world on two wheels, risks and all.

Kinda missing the point here, are we not?

What point is that? She made poor choices?

In a perfect world we should be able to travel the world without concern, but that is not reality. Should we come to the rescue of people that make poor decisions? -Shrug-, I don't know the answer to that. Part of me thinks if you make poor decisions then you lose the ability to complain about it later. It would be different if she was camping in a popular national park in the USA and something like that happened. I don't even have to do any research and know traveling in Central and South America can be sketchy. How many here would go camping in the south side of Chicago?

Redemption

Reading this article and subsequent articles about this young woman, her story brought strong feelings about being in vulnerable situations and choices I have made in my life. I can say I choose now to not go south of the border and in fact have only travelled in the U.S or Canada. What I thought was extraordinary about this woman was her will to fight and not let them run her off and her determination to fight to get these animals in jail where they could not do this to other women. I doubt this was their first assault. I think this took an immense amount of courage and bravery to combat all of the forces that she was up against. I am thankful to her and happy she stayed to see this through. I pray for my strength as well as all of you in the face of this type of evil.

Chris

What point is that? She made poor choices?

In a perfect world we should be able to travel the world without concern, but that is not reality. Should we come to the rescue of people that make poor decisions? -Shrug-, I don't know the answer to that. Part of me thinks if you make poor decisions then you lose the ability to complain about it later. It would be different if she was camping in a popular national park in the USA and something like that happened. I don't even have to do any research and know traveling in Central and South America can be sketchy. How many here would go camping in the south side of Chicago?

Chris’ post is on point. While it is easy to be judgemental, the better points to be taken from this story are the woman’s courage, resilience, tenacity and sense of adventure. Surely we have all done things that had they gone badly would have inspired others to stand in stern judgement of our choices, but a life lived without risk would be a boring one indeed.

Chris’ post is on point. While it is easy to be judgemental, the better points to be taken from this story are the woman’s courage, resilience, tenacity and sense of adventure. Surely we have all done things that had they gone badly would have inspired others to stand in stern judgement of our choices, but a life lived without risk would be a boring one indeed.

Bingo!!!!!! You can sit home or get out there and experience the world.

...Fund her if you so wish, but judging her decision-making 'logic' doesn't make you a bad person. It's a thought-process that forms the basis for common sense. :nono

Greenwald made a number of good points in his post. But one that had been running through my mind was the phrase, "Common sense is not common."

I have gone on a number of international mission trips in the past few years. i try to use situational awareness and common sense. I've learned that not everyone does, including those you think would. I was going through an area in Dar es Salaam with a friend. We're walking through an area with a lot of businesses in what you might think of as single car garages. I'm watching as two men in their 20s get into a fight and I'm looking for ways to avoid the fight. A local Imam broke the fight up before we got close and everyone but 3 very tall young men went off to the local mosque. The area is deserted now, except for those three men. We walked on by while the three men are watching us. I mention to my friend that perhaps we should go over to the main road on the way back. "Why?", he asks. He's totally oblivious to what has just happened. We're in a deserted area with young men who stand probably at least a foot taller than us, and are much younger. The US State Department has warnings about kidnappings in the city and about how you don't even take taxis, except under certain situations. In fact, the US government doesn't even let their people travel from city to city on the roads. They fly and aren't allowed to travel at night. We're vulnerable and in a potentially hazardous situation, and he doesn't see it at all. Common sense, is not common.

Chris

Bingo!!!!!! You can sit home or get out there and experience the world.

There is a lot of the world you can experience without putting yourself in much danger. There is a big grey area between experiencing the world and sitting at home.

I live in the USA and travel as much as time allows. There are areas of the USA I avoid. You don't need to throw yourself into dangerous areas to experience the world. There are areas that it might be best to not see. Also avoid areas at different times of day. I might travel through some rough neighborhoods during the day, but I sure will not go there at night.

Greenwald made a number of good points in his post. But one that had been running through my mind was the phrase, "Common sense is not common."

I have gone on a number of international mission trips in the past few years. i try to use situational awareness and common sense. I've learned that not everyone does, including those you think would. I was going through an area in Dar es Salaam with a friend. We're walking through an area with a lot of businesses in what you might think of as single car garages. I'm watching as two men in their 20s get into a fight and I'm looking for ways to avoid the fight. A local Imam broke the fight up before we got close and everyone but 3 very tall young men went off to the local mosque. The area is deserted now, except for those three men. We walked on by while the three men are watching us. I mention to my friend that perhaps we should go over to the main road on the way back. "Why?", he asks. He's totally oblivious to what has just happened. We're in a deserted area with young men who stand probably at least a foot taller than us, and are much younger. The US State Department has warnings about kidnappings in the city and about how you don't even take taxis, except under certain situations. In fact, the US government doesn't even let their people travel from city to city on the roads. They fly and aren't allowed to travel at night. We're vulnerable and in a potentially hazardous situation, and he doesn't see it at all. Common sense, is not common.

Chris

Amen to all these comments, and a narrative to emphasis a point.

While "Common sense is not common" proves to be a time-honored cliché, it is also the definitive dividing line that separates 'cautious from careless.'

This young lady was careless, and paid way too high a price for her trust in humanity. I hope she recovers both physically and emotionally, and that her expenses dissipate.

There is a lot of the world you can experience without putting yourself in much danger. There is a big grey area between experiencing the world and sitting at home.

I live in the USA and travel as much as time allows. There are areas of the USA I avoid. You don't need to throw yourself into dangerous areas to experience the world. There are areas that it might be best to not see. Also avoid areas at different times of day. I might travel through some rough neighborhoods during the day, but I sure will not go there at night.

So true. 3+ decades in law enforcement taught me to be more pragmatic about what life has to offer, and not to wander this globe foolishly.

So much to see and do here in the USA and Canada - no desire on my part to venture much further, and yet for those who do, let caution be your guide. :wave

I'm just hearing the oft quoted passage about Judge ye not... just sayin':dunno

Situational awareness is not a gender specific need. It is sad to read about the womans ordeal during her quest for adventure. She is not the only woman to ever travel alone, in less than Maple Avenue settings,or in foreign to us lands.

Glenn Heggstad comes to mind, what a story he tells about being kidnapped on one of his many adventures.I never questioned his sanity, admired his mindset and fortitude though.

Anyways, I don't judge others quests and adventures...some not for me at 61, though looking back, given the opportunity I would have given many of them a shot.

Back