Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sad story about a young traveler.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    ...Fund her if you so wish, but judging her decision-making 'logic' doesn't make you a bad person. It's a thought-process that forms the basis for common sense.
    Greenwald made a number of good points in his post. But one that had been running through my mind was the phrase, "Common sense is not common."

I have gone on a number of international mission trips in the past few years. i try to use situational awareness and common sense. I've learned that not everyone does, including those you think would. I was going through an area in Dar es Salaam with a friend. We're walking through an area with a lot of businesses in what you might think of as single car garages. I'm watching as two men in their 20s get into a fight and I'm looking for ways to avoid the fight. A local Imam broke the fight up before we got close and everyone but 3 very tall young men went off to the local mosque. The area is deserted now, except for those three men. We walked on by while the three men are watching us. I mention to my friend that perhaps we should go over to the main road on the way back. "Why?", he asks. He's totally oblivious to what has just happened. We're in a deserted area with young men who stand probably at least a foot taller than us, and are much younger. The US State Department has warnings about kidnappings in the city and about how you don't even take taxis, except under certain situations. In fact, the US government doesn't even let their people travel from city to city on the roads. They fly and aren't allowed to travel at night. We're vulnerable and in a potentially hazardous situation, and he doesn't see it at all. Common sense, is not common.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    Bingo!!!!!! You can sit home or get out there and experience the world.
    There is a lot of the world you can experience without putting yourself in much danger. There is a big grey area between experiencing the world and sitting at home.

I live in the USA and travel as much as time allows. There are areas of the USA I avoid. You don't need to throw yourself into dangerous areas to experience the world. There are areas that it might be best to not see. Also avoid areas at different times of day. I might travel through some rough neighborhoods during the day, but I sure will not go there at night.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post
    Greenwald made a number of good points in his post. But one that had been running through my mind was the phrase, "Common sense is not common."

I have gone on a number of international mission trips in the past few years. i try to use situational awareness and common sense. I've learned that not everyone does, including those you think would. I was going through an area in Dar es Salaam with a friend. We're walking through an area with a lot of businesses in what you might think of as single car garages. I'm watching as two men in their 20s get into a fight and I'm looking for ways to avoid the fight. A local Imam broke the fight up before we got close and everyone but 3 very tall young men went off to the local mosque. The area is deserted now, except for those three men. We walked on by while the three men are watching us. I mention to my friend that perhaps we should go over to the main road on the way back. "Why?", he asks. He's totally oblivious to what has just happened. We're in a deserted area with young men who stand probably at least a foot taller than us, and are much younger. The US State Department has warnings about kidnappings in the city and about how you don't even take taxis, except under certain situations. In fact, the US government doesn't even let their people travel from city to city on the roads. They fly and aren't allowed to travel at night. We're vulnerable and in a potentially hazardous situation, and he doesn't see it at all. Common sense, is not common.

Chris

Amen to all these comments, and a narrative to emphasis a point.

While "Common sense is not common" proves to be a time-honored cliché, it is also the definitive dividing line that separates 'cautious from careless.'

This young lady was careless, and paid way too high a price for her trust in humanity. I hope she recovers both physically and emotionally, and that her expenses dissipate.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    There is a lot of the world you can experience without putting yourself in much danger. There is a big grey area between experiencing the world and sitting at home.

I live in the USA and travel as much as time allows. There are areas of the USA I avoid. You don't need to throw yourself into dangerous areas to experience the world. There are areas that it might be best to not see. Also avoid areas at different times of day. I might travel through some rough neighborhoods during the day, but I sure will not go there at night.
    So true. 3+ decades in law enforcement taught me to be more pragmatic about what life has to offer, and not to wander this globe foolishly.

So much to see and do here in the USA and Canada - no desire on my part to venture much further, and yet for those who do, let caution be your guide.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

I'm just hearing the oft quoted passage about Judge ye not... just sayin'

Situational awareness is not a gender specific need. It is sad to read about the womans ordeal during her quest for adventure. She is not the only woman to ever travel alone, in less than Maple Avenue settings,or in foreign to us lands.

Glenn Heggstad comes to mind, what a story he tells about being kidnapped on one of his many adventures.I never questioned his sanity, admired his mindset and fortitude though.

Anyways, I don't judge others quests and adventures...some not for me at 61, though looking back, given the opportunity I would have given many of them a shot.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and club tire changer

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    I'm just hearing the oft quoted passage about Judge ye not... just sayin' ...
    That's the one verse that many atheists remember from the Bible. I'm not saying that's why you know it, just that it is.

The context does not leave out making an evaluation or an assessment. In Matthew 7:15-16, Jesus is clearly indicating that some assessment has to be made when He says "You will know them by their fruits." In other words, by their actions and the results of those actions.
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    I'm just hearing the oft quoted passage about Judge ye not... just sayin'

Situational awareness is not a gender specific need. It is sad to read about the womans ordeal during her quest for adventure. She is not the only woman to ever travel alone, in less than Maple Avenue settings,or in foreign to us lands.

Glenn Heggstad comes to mind, what a story he tells about being kidnapped on one of his many adventures.I never questioned his sanity, admired his mindset and fortitude though.

Anyways, I don't judge others quests and adventures...some not for me at 61, though looking back, given the opportunity I would have given many of them a shot.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post

Beg to differ. The world holds many dangers and if you explore this world, you'll be moving through many of them. Even as you may not be fully aware of the danger/risks to traveling.

From being pick pocketed on the streets of Paris, to being abducted right here on the streets of the US of A, there's risk and dangers aplenty once you leave the comfort of your own dwelling.

Just last week, a 19 yr old girl had an attempt to abduct her by a couple while she was coming out of the library. This in a community that's known to be safer than the surrounding cities/towns. So, walk out of your house, dangers exist. They exist 1 mile from your house and exist 10K miles from your house.

Ones perception of risk/reward usually isn't part of the decision process when doing a rtw tour. However, even knowing the risks, there's this.

The sweet smell of success, of accomplishing something very few [ relatively speaking ] would dare to attempt, let alone finish. Life is full of risks. Really living life isn't for the feint of heart.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post
    Thanks for the lesson...let's not travel down that path here please my brother

My point was who are we to pass any judgement on others choices,dreams,passions. If you want to make a difference and donate for her fine, if not, let her live her life and choices.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and club tire changer

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    Beg to differ. The world holds many dangers and if you explore this world, you'll be moving through many of them. Even as you may not be fully aware of the danger/risks to traveling.
    So you are trying to tell me you are as likely to get assaulted in the south side of Chicago as any home town library?

I will agree there is danger every where, but the odds of something happening change drastically with the location.

You can get assaulted in your own home, but it doesn't mean your home is as dangerous as Chicago's south side at midnight Saturday.