Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sad story about a young traveler.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    This is the group that Booman and McGregor used for their “Long Way Round” trip.

https://www.objectivetravelsafety.co...venture-travel

Highly advisable training for anyone traveling in someone else’s “jungle”.

OM
    Good link to have bookmarked, thanks. I'm certain most members could benefit from some of their training, which is basically just forethought or risk management. Got too many years into the streets to worry about where I want to go, and becoming a vic myself. When moving through a jungle one needs to know what predators one may run into and have enough experience to mitigate the risks as much as possible
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    Risk/reward. I've not alluded to more or less risk. You can't experience Delhi India without risks involved anymore than you can Chicago's south side. One can't travel the world anywhere without an element of risk, and that includes the good old US of A. In any town USA at that.

Life isn't for the feint of heart. Adventurers have always accepted inherent risks of traveling to unknowns. If you don't want to experience risk or life to the fullest, sit on the couch and watch the Simpsons.

Riding a motorcycle is a risk in and of itself. People choose to ride knowing the risks. What we don't normally see is people telling others who were involved in a crash they should have stayed off motorcycles and surrounded themselves in cages however.
    No argument from me, but don't come running and crying foul when you take a risk and walk into a lion's den and get bit. If you want to take the chance, you need to be able to accept the consequences of failure.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    No argument from me, but don't come running and crying foul when you take a risk and walk into a lion's den and get bit. If you want to take the chance, you need to be able to accept the consequences of failure.
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Teddy Roosevelt
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Teddy Roosevelt
    If the strong man stumbles he doesn't cry for help. He is prepared for any out come. He is prepared to deal with the results of his actions. I don't believe Teddy Roosevelt would have cried for help if or when he failed. I don't thing he would start up a Go Fund me page if he failed.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    If the strong man stumbles he doesn't cry for help.

Really? Is that why there are hundreds of search and rescue operations all over the world who get calls for rescue? Or how about those who make treks into the Canadian and Ak. wilderness who take "in-reach" devices to call for help? Are those people simply not wiling to self rescue and walk out instead of crying for help? Please, your argument/opinion holds NO weight in the real world, people cry for help all the time.

He is prepared for any out come.

Unrealistic at best, NO man or woman is prepared for ANY outcome. To even state someone could be prepared for ANY outcome simply demonstrates you don't have a grasp on reality.

He is prepared to deal with the results of his actions.

Some are and some are not. And MOST do not know if they are prepared to deal with some incident/scenario until they've actually been placed into that scenario. Untested, no man or woman knows for sure.

I don't believe Teddy Roosevelt would have cried for help if or when he failed.

Simply a WAG on your part, but it's one option on opinions. Teddy never did any of his adventures on his own, he had numerous support people with him in his daring do's.

I don't thing he would start up a Go Fund me page if he failed.
    No, but he may have started one or several for those in similar circumstances like this woman. He was a champion of doer's and risk takers, not timidity.
    Last edited by brownie0486; 09-27-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Article on women traveling alone with more info on the young woman on this thread

I found this article while browsing and thought it may add some depth to the general theme many discussed on the thread. Also gives an update on Ms. Komarova
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/25/travel/solo-female-travel.html

A4485A29-6D42-4327-95A6-BA63323B22C6.jpg

Broken link

searched on
    Nytimes komarova" and found this

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/25/t...le-travel.html
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 96 K1100RS (caretaker), 09 K1300s

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    searched on
    Nytimes komarova" and found this

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/25/t...le-travel.html
    Thank you! This is the link.