• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Left Throttle Body Throttle Stop

saddleman

Enjoy The Ride
I have a 1997 R1100RS a friend brought to me & the left throttle body does not return to the stop screw. I've never worked on any of the R bikes in the throttle cable area & can't find the reason why it won't return to the throttle stop. Any idea what I might look for ?.

Thanks, Dave

Al 1997 R1100RS 011.jpgAl 1997 R1100RS 012.jpgAl 1997 R1100RS 008.jpgAl 1997 R1100RS 009.jpgAl 1997 R1100RS 010.jpg

Hard to tell, but the throttle stop screw doesn’t look like it has been moved which is probably a good thing.
What about the throttle cable? It should have a little bit of free play. Is anything pulling or catching the throttle cable? Can you get some slack into the throttle cable?
If you look into the throttle body, can you see the butterfly and is it closing all the way?

The left butterfly is not closing. The right side works fine. It has almost 50,000 miles & I have read that is a good mileage to replace the the whole throttle cable systemAl 1997 R1100RS 014.jpgAl 1997 R1100RS 017.jpg.

Disconnect the throttle cable at the TB pulley and see if the butterfly closes to the throttle stop screw. If it does, then the cable is holding the throttle open. You have to find out why the cable doesn’t have any free play.

Looking at your last picture, it seems to me that the outer tube of the left bowden-cable is not properly seated in the distribution box. Therefore, the cable is under tension and slighty opening the throttle body.

Stefan

Disconnect the throttle cable at the TB pulley and see if the butterfly closes to the throttle stop screw. If it does, then the cable is holding the throttle open. You have to find out why the cable doesn’t have any free play.
The butterfly closes just fine with the cable disconnected.

Looking at your last picture, it seems to me that the outer tube of the left bowden-cable is not properly seated in the distribution box. Therefore, the cable is under tension and slighty opening the throttle body.

Stefan
In that picture the cable is unhooked from the throttle body. When you push the box back in you can feel the cable seat in the box.

Dunno if the 97 RS uses the same setup, but on my 97 RT, I swapped the entire cable system (including the distribution box & fast idle line) for the "updated" version - seemed smoother to twist (maybe just 'coz it was new?), and it was easier to balance. So the answer (to me, at least) to post 3 is Yes. The old box had some crud build-up inside - maybe that's where your hang-up is?
Do not lube these cables! They have a nylon (?) inner sheath, and oil distorts that.
"New" cables stretch, so you'll have to re-balance a couple of times to keep it "right".

Dunno if the 97 RS uses the same setup, but on my 97 RT, I swapped the entire cable system (including the distribution box & fast idle line) for the "updated" version - seemed smoother to twist (maybe just 'coz it was new?), and it was easier to balance. So the answer (to me, at least) to post 3 is Yes. The old box had some crud build-up inside - maybe that's where your hang-up is?
Do not lube these cables! They have a nylon (?) inner sheath, and oil distorts that.
"New" cables stretch, so you'll have to re-balance a couple of times to keep it "right".
I'm pulling the box all the way out tonight & take it apart.

I've known all along the throttle body was ok.

OK. Then quit looking at it. Start at the top. Is the cable seated in the twist grip assembly properly? If yes then the issue is a bad cable but more likely there is something not seated properly in the Bowden box.

There is nothing else in that cable system. Usually this happens when the end of the cable sheath is not all the way into the adjuster at the throttle body or is hung up and not seated in the tri pulley in the Bowden box.

The steel crimped sleeve at the end of the cable in the junction box was off the end of the outer sleeve. It took a lot of effort to get it back on the cable.

Thanks everyone, Dave

Back