• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rearselt, footpeg broken off 1998 K1200RS

goneregret

My 1998 K1200RS fell down at zero speed. It was idling on the side stand and just flopped over. The left foot peg broke off. A friend welded it back together but I would like to eventually replace it with an unbroken one. Where can I find this item? On ebay they are all a newer model that doesn't look right. Beemer boneyard does not list them for sale. Any ideas?

Thanks!

The dealer can get them. About $200 ea. Separate plate for each peg. LF, RF, LR, RR. Fits 98-04 K12RS & GT only (not LT).

Is it the left rear or left front peg plate that's broken?

Here's a left rear:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-K1200R...m=222324407635&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Here's a left front:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/00-05-BMW-...820384&hash=item3b0f842b59:g:8AIAAOSwX7JbEbzR

:dance:dance:dance

Lee,

The 2nd link you posted (front left footpeg) will work only on the 2nd gen K1200RS with facelift fairing (2002-2005 in USA / 2001-2005 in other countries). Same part for the K1200GT with "brick-engine" (2003-2005).

The OP said he had a 1998 - on these the front driver footpegs (Left and Right) are NOT the same as the 2nd gen shown in your link. However, the holder plate are the same across all years of K1200RS (the brackets between Front Footpeg and the frame).

Lee,

The 2nd link you posted (front left footpeg) will work only on the 2nd gen K1200RS with facelift fairing (2002-2005 in USA / 2001-2005 in other countries). Same part for the K1200GT with "brick-engine" (2003-2005).

The OP said he had a 1998 - on these the front driver footpegs (Left and Right) are NOT the same as the 2nd gen shown in your link. However, the holder plate are the same across all years of K1200RS (the brackets between Front Footpeg and the frame).

Not according to BMW.:dunno Maybe they superceded the part with the later one.

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/PartsSearch.aspx?&searchtype=undefined&parts= 46 71 7 651 901

According to current part #s, the plates are as I stated. BMW does supercede parts occasionally. They also make mistakes in the fiche occasionally.

Edit: Wait,are we talking peg or are we talking peg plate? I was looking at the peg plate. He wasn't really clear which broke. I usually see the ears on the plate break. He needs to tell us exactly what broke; plate or peg, front or rear, if he wants more help.

Second edit: The front pegs themselves are indeed unique to the first gen. RS.

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/PartsSearch.aspx?&searchtype=undefined&parts=46 71 2 335 177

Last edited:
Jean,

What is different about the pegs that makes the later one not work? They would obviously bolt on since they use the same peg plate. Are they different heights?

The left foot peg broke off.

It's the left foot peg that broke, not the plate that holds the foot peg on the bike. Not the passenger peg, the front peg for the driver. I talked to Beemerboneyard and they told me the plate should work on all flying brick K1200 bikes, but the peg is different by year. The early two years had a rise to them (as do my pegs). The later years just come straight out of the plate. I prefer to have the peg that just comes straight out. So that means I'm now looking for BOTH front pegs. Any aftermarket options would be cool too. I make no attempt to keep my bikes stock. Modification = Love.

Thanks for your help!

Jean,

What is different about the pegs that makes the later one not work? They would obviously bolt on since they use the same peg plate. Are they different heights?

Lee,
Of course, all along I was assuming the OP was referring to front driver footpegs... as I had written ;-)

As posted by the OP after your message above, the 1st gen K1200RS had higher footpegs for the driver (more sport / aggressive position). Of course, these had the same back plate (bracket) with 2 positions adjustability (same as 2nd gen by moving the bracket up on 2nd set of holes drilled into frame).

The earlier ones had a hole of same same size for the pin as 2nd gen but were shaped into a "L" that made the peg section (rubber section) higher. See this page from MOTORWORKS in UK and scroll down to see both type (1st gen and 2nd gen are both shown for Left and Right).
https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=45&Ct=NA&SbCt=BA_15_45_NA_45

It's the left foot peg that broke, not the plate that holds the foot peg on the bike. Not the passenger peg, the front peg for the driver. I talked to Beemerboneyard and they told me the plate should work on all flying brick K1200 bikes, but the peg is different by year. The early two years had a rise to them (as do my pegs). The later years just come straight out of the plate. I prefer to have the peg that just comes straight out. So that means I'm now looking for BOTH front pegs. Any aftermarket options would be cool too. I make no attempt to keep my bikes stock. Modification = Love.

Thanks for your help!

Most who have tried also prefer the less aggressive position with 2nd type of pegs as designed for 2001-2005 and also available from a K1200GT (2003-2005 only) - your knee are not bend as much.

It should not be difficult to find a used set on EBAY for the 2nd gen. I have bough a bunch of used stuff on EBAY, but only do so when the pictures have good resolution from many angles (to avoid surprises). Of course, I only buy from sellers with a high rating. Good luck!

Thanks for your help!

I forgot to this add these warninga to my last posts on this subject.
There are 2 caveats to using the newer / lower type of driver footpegs on a 1st generation K1200RS (1998-2001 for USA):

(1) The brake pedal is the same part number for all K1200RS but the 2nd gen has a longer bolt that pushes into the brake switch to compensate for resulting peg position / angle change (1st gen was was 6x20 , newer is 6x30 mm). Longer bolt is needed as the natural foot angle (with these lower footpegs) requires the brake pedal tip to be lower at rest.

Also, when you change the adjustment / angle of the brake pedal, you need to adjust the threaded rod that goes from rear of brake pedal to brake master cylinder. This last item IS CRITICAL as you may find yourself with a pedal that always applies a slight pressure into the brake master-cyclinder. The shop manual (or CLYMER) will guide you with very thin needed clearance needed.

(2) on the left side, when BMW changed the footpeg on 2nd gen, they also changed the part design (and part number) for the main shifter-arm (the black curved section attached to frame AND also the tip section). This was needed as it became difficult to make an acceptable compromise of shifter / footpeg relationship that was correct using the older design shifter combined with newer footpegs

Because the shifter has 2 adjustability (end tip and the threaded rod), you may be able for your own foot size to find an acceptable compromise using the newer / higherr footpeg. However, if you cannot you will need to shop for a shifter of 2nd gen (item 1 and item 3 in this diagram):
https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51580&diagram=23_0288&partnumber=23417654517

My 1998 K1200RS fell down at zero speed. It was idling on the side stand and just flopped over. The left foot peg broke off. A friend welded it back together but I would like to eventually replace it with an unbroken one. Where can I find this item? On ebay they are all a newer model that doesn't look right. Beemer boneyard does not list them for sale. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Do you need the peg or the plate (footpeg holder)?
Does rearselt mean rear?

Last edited:
Do you need the peg or the plate (footpeg holder)?
Does rearselt mean rear?

Lee, I just need the foot peg, not the foot peg holder. I'm not sure why they call them a "rearset," I just try to use the lingo.

Thanks again for all the info everyone, especially myk1200rs. I should have guessed there would be other necessary mods. I was already thinking of lowering my shifter, so straight pegs will make this even more urgent. This bike is my only vehicle and my daily commuter so I'll need to gather all the parts to do the job all at once.

I can't find any pegs on ebay right now. Lots for the K1200S and LOTS for the K1200LT but nothing for any K1200RS.

Since you're talking about the shifter I take it you need a front left footrest.
Want to make sure we are on the same page in case somebody has one.

I just checked the footrest prices. I'm sitting on a gold mine because I have 3 right side footrests from a 2003 sitting in a draw :)

My 00KRS failed it left front foot peg. My view this one had a casting issue.
Max NH was able to order a new one up and it’s fixed
Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back