• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Toolbox for 1200GSW (not adventure) with Vario cases

tigerman22

I've seen a lot of nice toolbox options for GSA's, but wondering if anyone knows of a good toolbox option for a non-Adventure GS that has the Vario cases on them?
Aftermarket option or a hack is fine. I'm finding that between my growing list of tools and and a tire pump, more and more of my space is being taken up by tools.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Look at space under pillion seat, you might be able to utilize it

My own tool roll is very sparse, mini snap-on ratcheting screw driver with common torx bits, leatherman tool, front axel/coil removal adapter, spark plug socket and 2 spare spark plugs
Cyclegear tire pump and patch kit

Jim

Under seat worked well for me until...

Look at space under pillion seat, you might be able to utilize it

My own tool roll is very sparse, mini snap-on ratcheting screw driver with common torx bits, leatherman tool, front axel/coil removal adapter, spark plug socket and 2 spare spark plugs
Cyclegear tire pump and patch kit

Jim

I had a fairly sizeable tool kit put together that lived under my pillion seat until I installed an ezCAN there. Now it lives in my right pannier. Another thing that really helped me out with tools and associated stuff were these: http://giviusa.com/givi-products/soft-luggage/xstream-range/1200gs-toolbags-detail
The under-tail bag is a perfect size to hold my tire repair kit, and I have the side bags stuffed with things like flashlights, tie straps, tape, super glue, electrical terminals, etc. Visually, the bags all but disappear on the bike because of where they sit, and they sure helped me cut down on the clutter in my panniers.

Space fro tools

I know this doesn't help you but I was surprised by the lack of space under the seat of my 16 GSA. I went from a 06 RT and even the box I bought for the GSA wouldn't hold all the tools I had under the seat. There was enough room I even had a pair of work glove under there.

I ultimately ditched the Varios and went with Brooks aluminum panniers. For about $300 net (after sale of Varios) I'm super happy. Way more space now so I was able to build out a proper tool kit and just keep it in the panniers.

My tool roll sits neatly in the left vario, in the upper portion that's narrower than the rest of the pannier due to the exhaust pipe. It's an extensive tool roll, 4" in diameter and fits that cubby shelf perfectly.

Splash guard

This is a nice design, albeit pricey. Also, they claim that the rear splash guard must be removed. I haven't added it to my 16 GSA, but have considered it (ya gotta admit, it sure is pretty to look at).

https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Toolbox-for-BMW-OEM-Pannier-Rack-R1200GS-ADV-All-Years

How do you like the splash guards? I have a 2014 GSA and I'm thinking about getting either the Touratech or Wunderlich splash guards. Wonder if they really work and are worth the money.

I've seen a lot of nice toolbox options for GSA's, but wondering if anyone knows of a good toolbox option for a non-Adventure GS that has the Vario cases on them?
Aftermarket option or a hack is fine. I'm finding that between my growing list of tools and and a tire pump, more and more of my space is being taken up by tools.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

This is a great post and something I'd love to hear more about. I too am running Vario Cases and like the looks of them but like you would like more space for my tools and "stuff" !! So far nothing that seems to help but hoping there will be other posts. Having gone from a '12 GSA to my '18 GS I miss the Adventure bags. I have been toying with moving to Zega Pro cases but just like the look of the Vario cases and I never go off road.

Thanks for posting! :thumb

So just for comparison here is how my Vario Cases are set up. I run them expanded 100% of the time. This set up allows me to use a bag liner on the left side and the ability to put a few thinner items in the left side. I probably carry more stuff than I actually need but like to be prepared. I do miss the ability of laying all my tools in the bottom of the Adventure Cases and then just pop in a liner on top.

Right (brake) side

i-RqkNCKV-XL.jpg

Left (clutch) side

i-LLRVqQR-XL.jpg

Back