• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Volunteers Positions That Still Need To Be Filled

Paul_F

RK Ryder
There is still time for individuals or a club to volunteer for the Des Moines Rally. Below are committees who are still looking for volunteers, (especially for Thursday, opening day). Most volunteer shifts are three hours, some are four hours in duration. Come to our rally and increase your fun by volunteering to make the event a resounding success!

One very fun activity is volunteering at the Beer Garden with “Mad Dog”. Many time slots are still available. Below are listed other committees who are still in need of volunteers. Each committee has a contact person. If you planning on attending the largest BMW Rally in North America this July, consider volunteering and contact the person listed with each committee.

Better still, find a friend and volunteer together! :thumb

Paul

Paul F. Ruffell
2018 Des Moines Volunteer Committee Chair
2018volunteers@bmwmoa.org

Volunteer Positions, Volunteer Duties & Contact Persons

5K Foot Race - Andrea Borella Andiroadrunner@hotmail.com
∙ 6 volunteers, early Saturday a.m., 4 hr shift

50/50 Tickets - Paul Ruffell 2018volunteers@bmwmoa.org
∙ Selling 50/50 tickers.
∙ 10 volunteers per 2 hr shifts

Awards - Don Hamblin bmwscooter@gmail.com
∙ Recording the attendees' mileage, age etc. who enter various riding contests.
∙ 2 volunteers per 2 hr shifts

Beer Garden - Paul Ruffell 2018volunteers@bmwmoa.org
∙ Selling tickets, pouring Beer and having a blast!

Bike Wash - Milo Bunda beemerbunda@sbcglobal.net
∙ 2 per 3 hr shift, supervising bike washing/handing the bike washing supplies

Charter Club Camping - Richard Koscher rickkoscher@me.com
∙ Assist in laying out the club camping area prior to the rally start.

Coffee - Charlie Parsons 143bmw@att.net
∙ 2 people per morning 4 hr shift (very early shift)

Door Prizes Perry Linn plinn01@aol.com
∙ Volunteers make sure tickets go in the right bins, they help while people write thank you notes to those contributing Door Prizes, they welcome folks and other duties as assigned.
∙ Three hour shifts, 5 people per shift. Door prizes closes at 4:00 p.m. on Saturday. Thursday and Friday, until 6:00 p.m.

Entertainment Stage Crew 2018volunteers@bmwmoa.org
∙ 5 people per split shift, assisting bands moving equipment

First Aid - Kelly Hochderffer Bunker7711@aol.com
∙ 4 people per 4 hr shift with First Aid background

MOA Gear Store - Paul Ruffell 2018volunteers@bmwmoa.org
∙ 8 people per 3 hour shift.- sales and assisting folks finding articles.

Pin and Patch - Gary Pothoff glpothoff47@hotmail.com
∙ 4 people, 3 hour shifts, especially on Wednesday and Thursday to stuff mugs. Throughout the rally, handing out stuffed mugs.

Registration Karolina Francis
∙ 4 hour shifts
www.moaregistrationvolunteer.eventbrite.com/

Sewing Booth - Alison Buckley mrsarbuckley@gmail.com or Linda Low lrlow2@gmail.com
∙ Five volunteers, 3 hr shifts, sewing patches on jackets.

Sign Production/Sign Placement - Dan Steele gsaadv1@gmail.com
∙ 4 computer knowledgeable people per shift plus manual labour placing the new signs on boards as well as 2 people, 3 hr shifts - placing the rally signs around the rally site, on the
Tuesday and Wednesday.

Volunteers - Paul Ruffell 2018volunteers@bmwmoa.org
∙ 5 volunteers per shift, 3 hour shifts, assisting rally goers with signing up for volunteer shifts still unfilled.

If you have never been a rally volunteer, or if this is your first MOA International Rally, VOLUNTEER! WHY? Because you'll meet new friends of which some will become forever friends and you'll have a GREAT time interacting with other rally attendees. You become PART of the rally in ways that you'll only realize once you volunteer. Trust me, the rewards for volunteering are priceless. ALL of the people we camp with at the rally we met because we volunteered...now we see some only at the rally...still they are life long friends. Example: Julie and I met Paul Ruffle because we us choose to volunteer...together at the same 3 hour shift! I don't even remember what committee we volunteered for. Now every year Paul, Julie and me, and a folks from around the U.S. and Canada camp together at the rally because we met volunteering and became good friends. What a great time we've had since then!

See you in Des Moines!

This will be my first MOA, I think I’m signed up for 4 volunteer shifts, I’m sure it will be a hoot.

Question

I have a shift at the beer garden, my questions with president trumps trade war with Canada am I supposed to charge them twenty or thirty percent more or drink twenty or thirty percent of their beer before I give it to them?

^^^ The above would be a question for you shift leader, not for something here on the forum! Thanks....

That trade war discussion might be a touchy subject right now and we didn’t start it

As for volunteering I think my schedule lays out as helping with school Ganges for setup, Pouring Beer at the Beer Garden on Wed, Security on Friday and first aid on Saturday. How could all of that not be fun?

Edit: I’m also giving a little seminar about Newfoundland Friday at 09:00 for anyone who wants to know a bit about coming for a visit. It’s not on the web page as I was a little late letting them know I would do one.

Oops, I meant 08:00

Last edited:
I am still sitting here, chained to my computer desk :type, waiting for more volunteers to come forward to offer help with the various committees that I have listed in the first post. We seem to have a lack of committed volunteers especially for opening day, Thursday. Please take a moment to fire off an email to me letting me know which committee, which day and which part of the day that you would be able to spare two, three or four hours (dependent upon the committee).

Don't just attend the Rally, be part of the MOA Family! :thumb

Thank you.

Paul 2018volunteers@bmwmoa.org

I have a shift at the beer garden, my questions with president trumps trade war with Canada am I supposed to charge them twenty or thirty percent more or drink twenty or thirty percent of their beer before I give it to them?

As the beer is staying in the USA, and produced in the USA, no tariffs apply.

However as the host it would be nice if you gave us free beer as we're the guest:thumb

regards, Rod.

If you have never been a rally volunteer, or if this is your first MOA International Rally, VOLUNTEER! WHY? Because you'll meet new friends of which some will become forever friends and you'll have a GREAT time interacting with other rally attendees. You become PART of the FAMILY in ways that you'll only realize once you volunteer. Trust me, the rewards for volunteering are priceless. ALL of the people we camp with at the rally we met because we volunteered...now we see some only at the rally...still they are life long friends. Example: Julie and I met Paul Ruffle because we us choose to volunteer...together at the same 3 hour shift! I don't even remember what committee we volunteered for. Now every year Paul, Julie and me, and a folks from around the U.S. and Canada camp together at the rally because we met volunteering and became good friends. What a great time we've had since then!

See you in Des Moines!

Fixed that for you, buddy! :nod

Back