• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

bar end mirrirs for my /6

blkb1rd

Greetings ALL
I want to remove my stock mirrors and install bar end type on my 1975 R75/6 (slowly turning into a café racer) So who has used them and what make/model is best to use and/or vibrates the least. OR is it a bad idea to do

Tom Casey
1975 R75/6 Ole Yeller
2016 R12RT not named yet

bar end mrrors

I have them on all my bikes except the RS, mostly Napolean (sp?) brand, and a few Stadium brand units, and I love them. They give a good view of traffic behind me, are adjustable for height and width and also act as "feeler gauges". If the mirrors fit through the opening, so will my body and the bags. :thumb

Friedle

These are the ones I have on my /7. Just the cheap ones off ebay/amazon. I think they are $20 roughly for the set. I've never had any issue with vibration or moving around as long as they are installed correct and tight. Plus I won't feel bad losing one if I drop my bike. Even have a slight convex lense so you can widen your view.

https://imgur.com/h6jmECO

I put bar end mirrors on all my bikes. I was probably the only person on the planet who used bar ends on a R1200GS. In my experience, there are a couple of things to look at:
1) The mounting. Some mirrors have expanding rubber plugs. I have found these to be inadequate and the aiming of the mirrors can **** as they rotate. I greatly prefer mounts made of metal with sliding wedges that lock the mirrors in place.
2) Folding mounts are highly desirable.
3) Larger is better than smaller
4) Consider the shape and length of the stalks. If the mirrors are mounted too low, it can take too long to check them in traffic.

I have used Stadium, CRG, Napoleon and Rizoma. Stadiums were great but they are off the market. The same design seems to be made by Halcyon. The CRG folding mirrors are excellent quality and have solid mounts but they are a bit small. The old Napoleons were nice except for the rubber mounting plugs. They were unavailable for a while and I'm not sure that the current mirrors are the same design. Rizomas are nice quality, but they don't fold.

I had Stadium bar ends on my /5 for years; they finally (after 40+ years) got too ratty to live with.

I replaced them with Halcyon 820 mirrors; virtually identical to the Stadiums, all stainless steel, and excellent quality... and a little pricey.

halcyon_napoleon_style_bar_end_mirror_820_stainless_steel__85495.1449173146.475.475.jpg

Bar end mirrors

Bike master. Bought em cheap from a small shop 7 years ago
They work for me. (they are small, and didn't think they would *)
One failed about a year after a tip over.
Got a replacement pair from Cycle Gear.

IMG_0460.jpg
* Its hard to tell if it's a LEO is behind me, unless their lights are on.

Spend too much time looking in that mirror and riding becomes very difficult. :scratch

Friedle

bar end mirrors for my /6

WELLLLL folks, it's like this .. They are on there way. Ordered by my children (youngest being 33) for Fathers day. They are on back order from Chaparral,they should be black and kinda square. When I get them I will post picks. Thank you all for Your ideas and posts

Yours gratefully

Tom Casey

Back