• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1995 k75

72r60/7

image.jpeg

I need to change the Rear Main Seal and have gotten to where the Clutch Carrier came out to a certain point and will not slide off. Was I supposed to take out the O-ring first ?

Don’t want to screw anything up (I like my K75), so what am I doing wrong. Just don’t wanna force things that may not need to be forced or things I know nothing about.

Advice is appreciated. And Thanks for your help.

I can't believe this will be the first Rear Main Seal that I have had to repair in 25 yrs of owning K75's.

Charlie

Yes. The O ring needs to be fished out before the clutch housing will slide out. Usually the O ring has hardened and is not very pliable, making its extraction a bit troublesome.

Yes. The O ring needs to be fished out before the clutch housing will slide out. Usually the O ring has hardened and is not very pliable, making its extraction a bit troublesome.
Paul Glaves

This now erroneous diagnosis (failed Rear Main Seal) was during a Transmission Spline lube job after 2 1/2 years. Used Guard Dog last time. Not too much either. The compartment between the Engine and Transmission had a lot more oil than dry than previously seen on this bike. And during the 10+- spline lubes that I have done to my K75's. Oil was not dripping out of the compartments drain hole. But there was seepage on the bottom outside bottom that mixed with road grime. I do check the ground periodically for leaks. I also should wash the bike more often.

I also forgot to add the pertinent information to the Post. (Area/observation or question on K75). Sorry.

O-ring removal:
Well, that's an hour and two pick heads broken (while modifying-one saved) that I'll never get back. "A bit Troublesome" was a perfect explanation of what was to come. Good thing I have a lift, stool and a bright bright light.

Well the back side of the carrier was bone dry as well as the front, but I had to see in person. I could have sworn that that was motor oil as opposed to gear oil in the transmission/engine compartment. Still can't tell it was not engine oil. A little bit more oil than dry around the engine housing at the perimeter of carrier as well as on transmission. Figured I would head off potential oil soaked clutch and problems on a long road trip. The splines looked good and were wet, but not much remnant of Guard Dog 25 visible. I tend to think now that the Transmission cover (and not the shaft seal but maybe) is weeping oil, at the top, and at 2 1/2 yrs not enough to migrate to the clutch, but may have gotten to the (wet) splines. Yeah it may be shaft seal or worn shaft at seal. But hard to tell origin.

I'll clean everything using the new parts recommended and button it all back upwithout replacing the rear main seal. I think/hope it'll be stable until next spline job which will be sooner. Like 1 year instead of 2 years.

Charlie

Usually the culprit is the O-ring. It hardens and cracks and causes a leak.

It really shouldn't take long to remove the o-ring since you don't care if you damage it (you're going to replace it anyway). By pushing forward or pulling back on the carrier you wil find the spot where the o-ring is the loosest. Then take the pick and break out a section of the o-ring. Then the rest should easily come out. 5-10 minutes tops.

:dance:dance:dance

Most things in my life that should take 5 minutes, take an hour. The things that I would like to take an hour, seem to take only 5-10 minutes.

Charlie

Back