• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Nova Scotia - 5 or 6 days?

BostonG

Hi, just got the chance to take a week and tour Nova Scotia (week of June 18th). Planning on taking the ferry from Portland to Yarmouth (arrives ~ 8pm). Have been viewing lots of individual trip notes, but if you are familiar with the area, any suggestions on a daily itinerary/route?

Just got the new Butler Maine/Maritimes map and see where they suggest (Yarmouth to Cabot Trail), but want to make sure I plan it in a reasonable fashion (allowing time to explore). Will likely book Airbnb or bed & breakfasts and look for casual seafood restaurants at nite. Will be alone and want to keep the costs reasonable.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Note - my original was to pack in miles and swing through to Quebec, but Nova Scotia looks too beautiful to try and rush it.

Thanks

First of all you’re missing out by not going to Newfoundland instead but I will recommend my buddy’s café, Red Rooster, in Grand Desert just east of Seaforth on the eastern shore. It is a nice route to travel going to or from Cape Breton.

If you have time a big loop around the province will give the best views and least traffic. Lots of good micro brews in NS now. On Cape Breton go visit Big Spruce brewing and tell him some guy going by Beerthief sent you.

Next time go to Newfoundland instead, it’s waaay prettier:nyah

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like a loop is best. Planning on taking the ferry back from Yarmouth either Sat or Sunday.

Short loop around the southern half or long loop include Cape Breton, you could easily skip Halifax altogether, pretty much just another big city.

If you stop at the Red Rooster tell Jeff I sent you.

There is a place on the road to Meat Cove on Northern Cape Bretton where on a clear day you can see Newfoundland.

On the Southeast Coast, they have an"Incident" Festival. Look it up. Rather interesting.

Go for as long as you can. It's a wonderful place. The Maritimes have as nice as they come Canadians.

Charlie

Last edited:
you could easily skip Halifax altogether, pretty much just another big city.

My wife and I have found Halifax to have quite an old interesting historic city feel about it, similar to the original Boston City.

If you ride the Cabot Trail counter clockwise, you'll be able to pull into the scenic pull overs without having to make left turns across traffic.

If you are interested in history, visiting Fortress Louisbourg is a must. A good part of it has been reconstructed from the original blueprints (stored in Paris). The Fortress is complete with reenattors
during the summer. https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg or https://www.novascotia.com/see-do/attractions/fortress-of-louisbourg-national-historic-site/1583

Near Fortress Louisbourg is a mine that take tours. It is really quite fascinating going down into the shafts to see the conditions with which the miners had to cope.

I don't know about being able to see Newfoundland at Meat Cove, but there, the galaxies are absolutely beautifully brilliant on a clear night. It is about six kilometres of gravel to Meat Cove's campsite. Take care to not set your tent too close to the edge of the cliff; it's a long and deadly drop. The local restaurant has the best clam chowder I've ever eaten.

It's been awhile since I visited Alexander Graham Bell's summer retreat, but I believe that it is on Cape Breton Island.

A must for many tourists to Nova Scotia is Peggy's Cove. http://www.peggyscoveregion.com/

It would be a pity to be in Nova Scotia without a visit to the nearby New Brunswick's Hopewell Rocks at low tide. http://www.thehopewellrocks.ca/

Have a great trip!

There is some nice scenery to be had on Cape Breton, you might not want to try for this on a street bike:)

IMG_0537-S.jpg[SUB][/SUB]
IMG_0540-S.jpg

Thanks all. Great suggestions and will be booking the accommodations tomorrow. Excited for the week.

Gary

I have gotten into the habit of visiting Nova Scotia on the bike every other year (alternate years I visit my son in LA via bike..) I've done it 3 times now, and never get tired of it. I go the first two weeks of September - planning on about 10-12 days total - 3 going up, 3 going back and then 4-6 in Nova Scota and Cape Breton. One of my favorite places to stay burned down last week (Maritine Inn in Antigonish on Cape Breton) - - but another favorite is open for business - Quarterdeck Suites:

IMAG1794.jpg

It has an amazingly great resturant attached. http://www.quarterdeck.ca/ - I haven't been there since it expanded - but expect to see it this fall. It's not inexpensive - but it's a wonderful treat for yourself.

On Cape Breton Island - I can make a number of suggestions:

The only "Scotch" whiskey distilled outside of Scotland is to be found at the Glenora Distillery. It's a great visit, has a wonderful restaurant (with a formal menu and a less expensive "bar" menu) - and mostly unknown - lodging available. The lodging is quite limited - I think there may be about 20 rooms. Simple rooms, quite comfortable - and the whiskey is amazing. There is a tour of the distillery available - it's informative and tasty.

IMAG1916.jpg

https://www.glenoradistillery.com/ - food is excellent, whiskey is amazing (especially the 140 proof stuff..)

And of course the Cabot Trail. I've done it both directions - both are great. I woudn't worry a lot about pulling into the overlooks - I've never experienced a lot of traffic on it - and you're going early enough in the season that you shouldn't either.

IMAG1892.jpg

And for another possible stay/eat on Cape Breton, Bras d'Or Lake Inn:

IMAG1848.jpg

http://www.brasdorlakesinn.com/ - not too expensive, great restaurant/bar on site - wonderful location right on the lake that's the center of Cape Breton Island.

So - there are some possible stops.. each time I go - I eat almost nothing but seafood for lunch and dinner. The seafood is amazing - it's fresh and cooked in all sorts of different ways depending on the traditions of the people cooking it. I took a few local club members on a tour there a few years ago - and we did a "Chowda' Run" - which consisted of finding a seafood chowder (fish, clam, mixed..) for lunch every day and trying to decide which was the best. The goal was almost unobtainable - ALL the chowders we ate were great. I can't recommend the seafood highly enough - it will change your view of what seafood should taste like, and especially the fresh clam chowders.

If you want more info let me know - but there is a reason Nova Scotia is a favorite with motorcycle tourers - you're welcomed with open arms everywhere.. and the people/roads/food are wonderful! Exploring it and finding your own way can be quite rewarding.

I'd also suggest for Nova Scotia - looking at the "Lighthouse Trail" - wonderful ride - will take about 2 days done right - and give you a real feel for the small villages and people of Nova Scotia.

maplighthouseroute-b2.jpg

2013-09-06 10.22.40.jpg

You won't go wrong with any of the routes on this webpage: https://www.novascotia.com/about-nova-scotia/blogs/six-great-seacoast-drives-nova-scotia - But I highly recommend #2 - and stop frequently at small places for chowder..

Last edited:
Just returned from 7 fantastic days traveling around Nova Scotia. Thanks to all that provided suggestions (took them all into consideration as I made plans). Plan to post some pics and more detail, but if anyone is looking for a bike friendly area with jaw dropping ocean views in the northeastern part of North America, you need to go. This trip was to taste (yes, including 6 seafood chowder meals) the island and get a feel for thoughts on a future visit. My challenge will be, I came back so excited my wife wants to go with me and that means "on 4 wheels" (she is not a fan of bikes).

Between the welcoming people, the incredible seafood and changing landscapes, an awesome week.

thanks

Back