• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help identifying year and model of the bike on the picture

radnik

Hello,

I would appreciate if someone would help me identify the year and model of the bike #16 from the picture.

bmw.jpg

All I know for sure is that it is BMW and older than 1973 as that was the year my father, who is riding it, died.

Thanks, Nikola

Nicola,

I don't think #16 is a BMW. #17 is — the viewer can see the horizontally-opposed cylinders.

While the tank on #16 appears to have a BMW roundel, the motor looks like an inclined-forward design, either with one cylinder (and two exhaust pipes) or two cylinders. Back in the 30s-60s, BMW's singles had only vertical cylinders, and each had only one exhaust pipe. Also, the light color (perhaps chrome or other metal) on the side of the tank is not a BMW motif.

All in all, I think someone fastened the roundel to a bike from another manufacturer.

Bike # 17 is a BMW, probably mid 50s R 51 0r R 67; bike # 16 doesn't appear to be a BMW. #16 might be a Jawa, MZ, or CZ bike.

Friedle

David, I think the tank is a BMW "parade" model authority tank. Those tanks had the roundel and the sides were polished chrome finish. Judging from the pistols and leather jackets, I think there is a good likelihood these riders are some sort of LEOs.

Friedle

Maybe another engine transplanted into a BMW frame? But then again, it appears the frame is a single downtube which also isn't one of BMW's trademarks.

David, I think the tank is a BMW "parade" model authority tank. Those tanks had the roundel and the sides were polished chrome finish. Judging from the pistols and leather jackets, I think there is a good likelihood these riders are some sort of LEOs.

Thanks, Friedle, I didn't know about parade tanks.
Even with a parade tank, 'though, the engine design says "not a BMW."

View attachment 68556
I was thinking Jawa twin also, due to the crankcase shape, and you can see the bits of the right side header, but the head looks more like a four stroke. If I zoom the picture, I can almost convince myself that the tank emblem is not a roundel, but more of a shield shape - but that does not help as I cannot find a matching motorcycle logo...

I thought I was close with this 1953 Jawa 500, but the cylinders look too big, and there are differences in the headlight, front fender, and brake.
Jawa-1953-500-OHC-Motomania-1.jpg

With the help from all the comments I think I found that manufacturer is Puch I am not sure about the model. I found another picture of the bike that looks the same to me:

puch.jpg

and model listed is Puch 250. Here is the logo:

Puch_logo.png

Thank you all for your help.

The Puch looks much better as a match. The bend in the header is essentially the same. And the logo "borrows" some of the BMW features.

I do believe you've found it. There are a couple differences between the pictures, don't know if they are different bikes from a pool or just changes to the bike over time.(License plate, carb cover, in the second pic)
Puch-250-SG-Poster.jpg

Back