Thread: Help identifying year and model of the bike on the picture

Help identifying year and model of the bike on the picture

Hello,

I would appreciate if someone would help me identify the year and model of the bike #16 from the picture.

bmw.jpg

All I know for sure is that it is BMW and older than 1973 as that was the year my father, who is riding it, died.

Thanks, Nikola

Nicola,

I don't think #16 is a BMW. #17 is — the viewer can see the horizontally-opposed cylinders.

While the tank on #16 appears to have a BMW roundel, the motor looks like an inclined-forward design, either with one cylinder (and two exhaust pipes) or two cylinders. Back in the 30s-60s, BMW's singles had only vertical cylinders, and each had only one exhaust pipe. Also, the light color (perhaps chrome or other metal) on the side of the tank is not a BMW motif.

All in all, I think someone fastened the roundel to a bike from another manufacturer.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Bike # 17 is a BMW, probably mid 50s R 51 0r R 67; bike # 16 doesn't appear to be a BMW. #16 might be a Jawa, MZ, or CZ bike.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    David, I think the tank is a BMW "parade" model authority tank. Those tanks had the roundel and the sides were polished chrome finish. Judging from the pistols and leather jackets, I think there is a good likelihood these riders are some sort of LEOs.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Maybe another engine transplanted into a BMW frame? But then again, it appears the frame is a single downtube which also isn't one of BMW's trademarks.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Yes, my father was police officer in former Yugoslavia and bike is from that region.

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    David, I think the tank is a BMW "parade" model authority tank. Those tanks had the roundel and the sides were polished chrome finish. Judging from the pistols and leather jackets, I think there is a good likelihood these riders are some sort of LEOs.
    Thanks, Friedle, I didn't know about parade tanks.
    Even with a parade tank, 'though, the engine design says "not a BMW."
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

I think the bike on the left is a Jawa. The big round lower case matches fairly well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jawa_350
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

bmw.jpg
    I was thinking Jawa twin also, due to the crankcase shape, and you can see the bits of the right side header, but the head looks more like a four stroke. If I zoom the picture, I can almost convince myself that the tank emblem is not a roundel, but more of a shield shape - but that does not help as I cannot find a matching motorcycle logo...

I thought I was close with this 1953 Jawa 500, but the cylinders look too big, and there are differences in the headlight, front fender, and brake.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

With the help from all the comments I think I found that manufacturer is Puch I am not sure about the model. I found another picture of the bike that looks the same to me:

puch.jpg

and model listed is Puch 250. Here is the logo:

Puch_logo.png

Thank you all for your help.

The Puch looks much better as a match. The bend in the header is essentially the same. And the logo "borrows" some of the BMW features.

I do believe you've found it. There are a couple differences between the pictures, don't know if they are different bikes from a pool or just changes to the bike over time.(License plate, carb cover, in the second pic)
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT