• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mounting your R1200RT

rftwrg

About 10 days into a 15 day ride, I noticed, and my friends started asking me why, I was leaning to the right when riding. Looking at myself in a mirror that evening at the motel, I could definitely see that my spine appeared to be arched to my right. Now, what could have caused that? My suspicion turned to how I was climbing aboard my '15 R1200RT, essentially mounting from the left side by lifting my right leg up and over the seat (not as tall as a GSA, but, still a tall seat), a process that was repeated 10 or more times each day. At that point I began the practice of first stepping on the left footpeg with my left foot which made it easier to complete the process of mounting the bike.

I was able to get some relief by visiting a Licensed Massage Therapist who stretched me in ways I did not think possible and probing into hot-spots to force the muscles to relax. Several days later, I was standing tall and straight in the saddle.

My question to the group ..... is the side stand (and its attachment point on the frame) up to the task of supporting the weight of the parked bike as well as the weight of a 200 lb man standing on the left footpeg?

Thanks for your comments...

John McKee
Riding with Run For The Wall (rftw.us)

The Manual says don't do that... The side stand is designed to support only the weight of the motorcycle. Do not lean or sit on the motorcycle with the side stand extended. Hope you find a good solution.

Jay

If you want to step on a peg while mounting, do it from the right side, and put your left leg on the ground before settling your weight on the seat. This takes the bike weight off the side stand, but even my 220+ pounds on the right peg do not take all the bike weight off the stand, so it will not tip right.

Though you will hear from many who have been mounting from the left peg, without side stand damage, for years. So far...
:dunno

My "What Now" story:

I rode onto a sidewalk next to a chain link fence with a car parked on the other side at the curb. This was a K1200LTE. When I reached with my foot to put the sidestand down it wasn't there. Looking closer, I saw it hanging from the wiring of the safety switch. The bolt had broken from all the years putting my weight on the left peg to get aboard. Of course I could not get the center stand down sitting on the bike(no hydraulic center stand on that bike)...so there I sat until 2 security guards came by and held the bike vertical for me to get off and put it on the center stand

FWIW

Ron

Add "replace side stand mounting bolt" to your every-other-year service schedule? I know the ONLY way I can get on my bike is to either stand on the left foot peg or (when it's loaded) to hop on. I'm afraid to get on from the right because I'm convinced It'll topple over on me, then after I get out from under I'll have to lift the pig up. Given what lkraus said, though, I may give it a try.

The day before yesterday, on a ride down to Shiloh, my lady friend (135lbs) on our first long ride together kept insisting that it would be easier for her to mount from the right. I finally said OK, we were on a slight slope but I could at least get my toe and ball of my right foot to the ground. Over we went. :eek Z-Technik engine guard and Ilium rear guard paid for themselves by preventing any costly damage. Just sayin'.:dunno

For traffic reasons most police officers, in California, mount their bikes from the right side this goes for Honda’s, Harley’s and Bmw’s with a little practice you will find it easy using the right peg or just stepping over. The operative word is PRACTICE

Jim

With a loaded gs i find it easier from the right. I pull the bike about half way, but still on the stand. From there the high right peg allows me to easily clear the bags and stuff lashed aft. From the high standing position a slight wiggle brings the bike right up. Easier for me.

For traffic reasons most police officers, in California, mount their bikes from the right side this goes for Honda’s, Harley’s and Bmw’s with a little practice you will find it easy using the right peg or just stepping over. The operative word is PRACTICE

Jim

I was taught this technique at a motor officer training class in Seattle, Washington and have been using it for years without any problems. Easier to mount and dismount and always away from moving traffic.

DB

When traveling, which is almost all of my riding time, I have a bag tied across the pillion seat. I mount the bike from the left by kicking my right leg high enough to get it over the seat. Sometimes I can do it cleanly and sometimes my boot scrapes the seat. It is more challenging with rain gear on top of my riding clothes. I have never been very flexible, but can just manage it. Once mounted, I can easily flat foot the bike. In motion, it would be nice if the seat was a little higher. But I am willing to live with the slightly cramped riding position in exchange for the more stable position when stopped with my feet firmly planted. I changed to lowered foot pegs to give my knees a little more clearance.
For reference: Height 178 cm (5'10"), Inseam 76 cm (30"), Weight 61 kg (135 lb).

The PO installed a big foot on the kick stand. this add length to it. I like to leave it on the pavement and if in a rural area the side of the road. the problem is the added length stand the bike taller and with the road camber often cannot be done. getting on from the right makes sense but would tip it over on you in many cases.

I have been mounting all my BMWs including R12RT and R12R since 2004 from the left stepping on the left peg and swinging my right leg over to the right side. I have NEVER had a problem with the sidestands

Mounting an R1200RT

I have flexibility issues and getting on the bike is a challenge. I just throw dignity to the wind and do a little "yoga" to make it happen.
I stand about 1 foot from the left side of the bike, bring my right foot up until I can grab it with my right hand, and then lift the leg over the seat, straightening out my leg once the foot is on/over the seat. Then I hop, as dignified as I can, to get the right leg on over to the ground.
No stress on the kickstand.
The back is, sometimes, a different matter but it's not too bad.
I have my earplugs in and helmet on at this time so I cannot hear if anyone is laughing.

My question to the group ..... is the side stand (and its attachment point on the frame) up to the task of supporting the weight of the parked bike as well as the weight of a 200 lb man standing on the left footpeg?

Thanks for your comments...

John McKee
Riding with Run For The Wall (rftw.us)

When on a level surface if you can put the bike on the center stand it becomes easy and risk-free to mount the bike from the left side and step on the left foot peg w/ zero concerns about stressing the side stand. This approach gives you the most room to hoist your right foot over everything to avoid scraping side cases, etc.

When on a level surface if you can put the bike on the center stand it becomes easy and risk-free to mount the bike from the left side and step on the left foot peg w/ zero concerns about stressing the side stand. This approach gives you the most room to hoist your right foot over everything to avoid scraping side cases, etc.

And with some models it is even possible to get the bike off the center stand while sitting on the seat. And, on the other hand, with some models you will need to reverse yourself and get back off the bike to get it off the center stand. Unless of course you just enjoy sitting on the bike on the center stand making vroom vroom noises. :)

And with some models it is even possible to get the bike off the center stand while sitting on the seat ...

F=ma² or, as a Navy Chief once told me, "If force doesn't work you're not using enough."

Astride the GSA on its centerstand, I'm on the balls of my feet and even with all of my 150 lbs lunging forward, it usually takes a few tries to collapse the stand. At home in the garage it's even worse; the floor is so smooth it's hard to gain traction and the stand just "scoots". The dog is too embarrassed to watch this show and usually leaves. :) But I think I have a solution - a piece of that black cushion mat they sell at home improvement stores under the bike. That oughta' provide better traction.

Edit: Yes, I know this is a R1200RT thread, but physics is model agnostic.

Last edited:
I ride my 2016 GS in the "1 helmet and 1 suitcase" preload setting. Always mount on the sidestand by "shooting" my right leg over the saddle (90 degree angle to front of bike), then "scooching" my body onto the seat.
However, if my fiance is going to ride with me, I'll get on first, drop the suspension down to "1 helmet", have her climb aboard, then bring suspension up to desired ride height. You could do the same thing... just drop ride height to minimum before mounting, then back up once aboard.
Same thing, but in reverse, for those complaining about bike sitting "too upright" due to longer sidestands. Once off the bike, raise ride height to maximum, effectively giving more lean angle. Repeat in opposite direction before mounting. I'll often do that when parking conditions (extra low street/curb interface) dictate that more lean would be beneficial.

Back