• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fly and ride logistics

bbock

Hi all,
I think I've found a K1200LT I want in Rhode Island.
Any MOA forum members familiar with Rhode Island title/plate procedures? I'm in Minnesota and looking to do a fly and ride, so looking for people's experience with logistics in doing that. Plates? Insurance? Other things I'm not thinking of?

Hi all,
I think I've found a K1200LT I want in Rhode Island.
Any MOA forum members familiar with Rhode Island title/plate procedures? I'm in Minnesota and looking to do a fly and ride, so looking for people's experience with logistics in doing that. Plates? Insurance? Other things I'm not thinking of?

I've done a few fly and rides armed with the bill of sale, title, proof of insurance, etc and believed it would be enough. However, I've not been pulled over.. You do not have to have plates and won't really be able to get them until you have the title in your possession. Just go pick it up and make sure you have the items described above.

Don't let 'The Man' keep you down.

Welcome to the forum! CW has some good ideas. I've taken possession of several bikes in other states but didn't ride them back. I made sure I had the bill of sale and immediately called my insurance company to get covered.

If you're buying from a dealer, they might be able to get you a temporary out of state registration so you can ride it. I did that with a purchase in TN. Ins co will need VIN and you should be good to go.

A private sale might make it more difficult. Hopefully the documents listed previously will cover you.

The DMV in most states will sell you a temporary registration (and plate) for this purpose. I know it is cheap to do this in AZ, but I am not sure about RI. You can usually get the info you need on the DMV website. If not, bring a plate off another bike?

I'd go with good paperwork and no plate rather than a bogus plate. That said I ride all over N.A. with a Virgin Island plate that belongs on a broken down Italian scooter lying in the bush, just East of Smuggler's Cove?

Hmmmm, no plate.......that seems to be an invitation to a proctological you probably won’t enjoy. :eek
It’s all a fudge running what is commonly referred to as “unregistered/uninsured- at least in the north east.
If you have made the deal, FedEx the papers to you and drop the paperwork to your insurance agent and the agent can FedEx to the bikes location to meet you.
If the current owner really likes you, he may lend you his plate while you ride home and you can send the plate back.
I’m pretty sure the plate/insurance you would get at home has “principal place of garaging” as part of the paperwork.
It’s all about the risk you are willing to take :)
Let us know how you make out.
OM

If you have the relevant information on the bike, can't you register it in Minnesota for a plate or temporary/transit plate?

Drive and Ride

I bought a bike from a dealer in Connecticut. I live in New York. Much shorter than your ride, but I think the basic principles apply.

They put a temporary (15 day) Connecticut plate on. It was basically just a paper copy in a ziploc bag to keep it from getting wet.

No problems riding it home like that, then registered it in NY.

I don’t know about US but in Canada operating a vehicle without insurance lead to massive fines and consequences, not far from DUI.

That being said many years ago I rode my bike from storage in Montreal to St. John’s through the US with no paperwork in place and ended up stopping for tea at a friend’s in NB who was an RCMP officer. If she looked at my plate she didn’t say anything. All was good when my risk tolerance was higher but in this day and age I will not drive anything with no insurance.

Buying a vehicle out of state isn't much different from buying one in state.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/how-do-i-fly-somewhere-buy-car-and-drive-it-home-259139

When I sold my old '03 RT the buyer asked if I would leave the plate on so he could ride home. I agreed and he dropped the plate off at my house a day or two later. I did make sure I complied with all the requirements of selling a vehicle: bill of sale, properly signed by both parties, signing over of the title, and so on.

As far as title goes, you always get the plate or plates and a revised title comes after some time, perhaps a month or more.

It sounds like leaving the previous owner's plate(s) on is the simplest for a private sale.

I suggest you go to a MN Deputy Registrar Office. They will be able to answer most of your questions. Next I would contact the Rhode Island DMV
http://www.dmv.ri.gov/registrations/

This is from an Anoka County DPS site on the subject.

Home Government County Departments Parks & Community Services License & Passport Centers Motor Vehicle Services Titles & Transfers Transfer of Out of State Titles
Transfer of Out of State Titles

The information on this page is intended for people who have purchased a vehicle with a title from another state. If you have moved to Minnesota and need to transfer your registration from another state click here.

If you have purchased a vehicle that has a title from a state other than from the State of Minnesota, please follow the steps outlined here. No two states have the same format of title, however all titles contain the same type of information. Minnesota law requires a title purchased by a Minnesota resident be transferred within 10 business days of the date of sale to avoid a penalty.

NOTE: The following information is intended to give a general outline of most title transfers and may not be complete or apply to all situations. The only way to know if you have all of the required information is to present it to a representative at a License Center. Please contact us with any questions.

What Do I Need to Transfer the Title?
In every case you will need to present the most current title. If you do not have the most current title, the seller will need to obtain a duplicate from the state the title was issued from. Sellers and buyers will need to complete and sign the appropriate section on the title.

Effective January 1, 2016, per Minnesota Statutes 2014, Section 169.798 ,Subd.4
Every owner applying for a self-propelled motor vehicle or motorcycle/moped registration, re-registration, or transfer of ownership must provide proof of insurance. Required insurance information includes the insurance company’s name, the policy number and the policy expiration date for the motor vehicle or motorcycle.

Does the Title have a Lien Listed?
If the title has a lien holder listed on it, we will need a lien release statement from the lending institution listed. In most states, the lien holder can sign a designated area on the title to release the lien. If the title of the vehicle does not have such an area or it is not completed, the owner must obtain a lien release statement from the lien holder.

Buyer's Application for Minnesota Title
The buyer must complete an Application to Title and Register a Motor Vehicle Opens a New Window. . This form will allow the State of Minnesota to transfer the title and registration of the vehicle to Minnesota. It is not necessary for the seller to sign this form. We are willing to assist you with completing this form if you have any questions. If you are unsure of any fields on this form, please leave them blank and we will assist you once you bring the application and title into our office.

Important! Any alteration or erasure to the title or supporting document will void it. This includes crossing out or using correction fluid/tape on incorrect information once it has been written. We are more than willing to assist you in completing any information to reduce the risk of alterations. If an alteration occurs, both buyers and sellers will need to complete and sign a corrected title form. If the alteration is to remove a persons' name from the buyer's section you must complete this form Opens a New Window. . For all other alterations or corrections (including the date and purchase price), please complete this form Opens a New Window. . Please contact us with any questions.

A Note on Prices of Taxes and Fees
Unfortunately, due to the wide variety of transfer types and situations, we cannot offer pricing estimates online or over the phone. The only way to obtain an accurate price estimate is to present the title and all necessary documents to a License Center Representative for review

Don't stick a bogus plate on the bike. In many jurisdictions, you could get cited for a fictitious registration and possibly have the bike impounded.

In Missouri they say you get 3 free rides when you buy a vehicle:
1. Home
2. Inspection station
3. License bureau

Back