Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Fly and ride logistics

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017

    Fly and ride logistics

    Hi all,
    I think I've found a K1200LT I want in Rhode Island.
    Any MOA forum members familiar with Rhode Island title/plate procedures? I'm in Minnesota and looking to do a fly and ride, so looking for people's experience with logistics in doing that. Plates? Insurance? Other things I'm not thinking of?

  2. #2
    Registered User wkuwiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    NW arkansas
    Quote Originally Posted by bbock View Post
    Hi all,
    I think I've found a K1200LT I want in Rhode Island.
    Any MOA forum members familiar with Rhode Island title/plate procedures? I'm in Minnesota and looking to do a fly and ride, so looking for people's experience with logistics in doing that. Plates? Insurance? Other things I'm not thinking of?
    I've done a few fly and rides armed with the bill of sale, title, proof of insurance, etc and believed it would be enough. However, I've not been pulled over.. You do not have to have plates and won't really be able to get them until you have the title in your possession. Just go pick it up and make sure you have the items described above.

    Don't let 'The Man' keep you down.
    '06 F650GS Dakar, 2016 K1600GT
    See you on down the road!

  3. #3
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    San Antonio, TX
    Welcome to the forum! CW has some good ideas. I've taken possession of several bikes in other states but didn't ride them back. I made sure I had the bill of sale and immediately called my insurance company to get covered.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  4. #4
    Hey Chromehead ! bobs98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Marlton, South Jersey
    If you're buying from a dealer, they might be able to get you a temporary out of state registration so you can ride it. I did that with a purchase in TN. Ins co will need VIN and you should be good to go.

    A private sale might make it more difficult. Hopefully the documents listed previously will cover you.
    Bob Smith
    1998 R1200C
    2005 Rocket III

  5. #5
    Addicted to curves azgman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    The DMV in most states will sell you a temporary registration (and plate) for this purpose. I know it is cheap to do this in AZ, but I am not sure about RI. You can usually get the info you need on the DMV website. If not, bring a plate off another bike?
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

  6. #6
    Old and Tired Gillie Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Southern California
    Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    If not, bring a plate off another bike?
    Police Officers will frown on this if stopped. Big fine and confiscation of vehicle possible............

    (New to me) 2010 R1200RT after HD Electra Glides for 35 years

  7. #7
    Registered User crucian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    St. Croix, Virgin Islands
    I'd go with good paperwork and no plate rather than a bogus plate. That said I ride all over N.A. with a Virgin Island plate that belongs on a broken down Italian scooter lying in the bush, just East of Smuggler's Cove?

  8. #8
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Hmmmm, no plate.......that seems to be an invitation to a proctological you probably wonít enjoy.
    Itís all a fudge running what is commonly referred to as ďunregistered/uninsured- at least in the north east.
    If you have made the deal, FedEx the papers to you and drop the paperwork to your insurance agent and the agent can FedEx to the bikes location to meet you.
    If the current owner really likes you, he may lend you his plate while you ride home and you can send the plate back.
    Iím pretty sure the plate/insurance you would get at home has ďprincipal place of garagingĒ as part of the paperwork.
    Itís all about the risk you are willing to take
    Let us know how you make out.
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  9. #9
    Registered User WalterK75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Mississauga, Ontario
    If you have the relevant information on the bike, can't you register it in Minnesota for a plate or temporary/transit plate?

    Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.
    H. L. Mencken

  10. #10

    Drive and Ride

    I bought a bike from a dealer in Connecticut. I live in New York. Much shorter than your ride, but I think the basic principles apply.

    They put a temporary (15 day) Connecticut plate on. It was basically just a paper copy in a ziploc bag to keep it from getting wet.

    No problems riding it home like that, then registered it in NY.

  11. #11
    skibum69 skibum69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    New Melbourne
    I donít know about US but in Canada operating a vehicle without insurance lead to massive fines and consequences, not far from DUI.

    That being said many years ago I rode my bike from storage in Montreal to St. Johnís through the US with no paperwork in place and ended up stopping for tea at a friendís in NB who was an RCMP officer. If she looked at my plate she didnít say anything. All was good when my risk tolerance was higher but in this day and age I will not drive anything with no insurance.
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend

  12. #12
    Registered User AKsuited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Southern Tier of New York
    Buying a vehicle out of state isn't much different from buying one in state.

    When I sold my old '03 RT the buyer asked if I would leave the plate on so he could ride home. I agreed and he dropped the plate off at my house a day or two later. I did make sure I complied with all the requirements of selling a vehicle: bill of sale, properly signed by both parties, signing over of the title, and so on.

    As far as title goes, you always get the plate or plates and a revised title comes after some time, perhaps a month or more.

    It sounds like leaving the previous owner's plate(s) on is the simplest for a private sale.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

  13. #13
    Still Wondering mika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Fly Over Land
    I suggest you go to a MN Deputy Registrar Office. They will be able to answer most of your questions. Next I would contact the Rhode Island DMV

    This is from an Anoka County DPS site on the subject.

    Home Government County Departments Parks & Community Services License & Passport Centers Motor Vehicle Services Titles & Transfers Transfer of Out of State Titles
    Transfer of Out of State Titles

    The information on this page is intended for people who have purchased a vehicle with a title from another state. If you have moved to Minnesota and need to transfer your registration from another state click here.

    If you have purchased a vehicle that has a title from a state other than from the State of Minnesota, please follow the steps outlined here. No two states have the same format of title, however all titles contain the same type of information. Minnesota law requires a title purchased by a Minnesota resident be transferred within 10 business days of the date of sale to avoid a penalty.

    NOTE: The following information is intended to give a general outline of most title transfers and may not be complete or apply to all situations. The only way to know if you have all of the required information is to present it to a representative at a License Center. Please contact us with any questions.

    What Do I Need to Transfer the Title?
    In every case you will need to present the most current title. If you do not have the most current title, the seller will need to obtain a duplicate from the state the title was issued from. Sellers and buyers will need to complete and sign the appropriate section on the title.

    Effective January 1, 2016, per Minnesota Statutes 2014, Section 169.798 ,Subd.4
    Every owner applying for a self-propelled motor vehicle or motorcycle/moped registration, re-registration, or transfer of ownership must provide proof of insurance. Required insurance information includes the insurance companyís name, the policy number and the policy expiration date for the motor vehicle or motorcycle.

    Does the Title have a Lien Listed?
    If the title has a lien holder listed on it, we will need a lien release statement from the lending institution listed. In most states, the lien holder can sign a designated area on the title to release the lien. If the title of the vehicle does not have such an area or it is not completed, the owner must obtain a lien release statement from the lien holder.

    Buyer's Application for Minnesota Title
    The buyer must complete an Application to Title and Register a Motor Vehicle Opens a New Window. . This form will allow the State of Minnesota to transfer the title and registration of the vehicle to Minnesota. It is not necessary for the seller to sign this form. We are willing to assist you with completing this form if you have any questions. If you are unsure of any fields on this form, please leave them blank and we will assist you once you bring the application and title into our office.

    Important! Any alteration or erasure to the title or supporting document will void it. This includes crossing out or using correction fluid/tape on incorrect information once it has been written. We are more than willing to assist you in completing any information to reduce the risk of alterations. If an alteration occurs, both buyers and sellers will need to complete and sign a corrected title form. If the alteration is to remove a persons' name from the buyer's section you must complete this form Opens a New Window. . For all other alterations or corrections (including the date and purchase price), please complete this form Opens a New Window. . Please contact us with any questions.

    A Note on Prices of Taxes and Fees
    Unfortunately, due to the wide variety of transfer types and situations, we cannot offer pricing estimates online or over the phone. The only way to obtain an accurate price estimate is to present the title and all necessary documents to a License Center Representative for review
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

  14. #14
    Don't stick a bogus plate on the bike. In many jurisdictions, you could get cited for a fictitious registration and possibly have the bike impounded.

  15. #15
    got, got, got no time... rguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Rogersville, MO
    In Missouri they say you get 3 free rides when you buy a vehicle:
    1. Home
    2. Inspection station
    3. License bureau
    Neal - '16 R1200GS / '81 R65
    Be the person that your dog thinks you are.

Similar Threads

  1. Logistics Again--Problem with R1200R.
    By lkchris in forum Wetheads
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-03-2015, 11:23 PM
  2. Bay Area Coast Ride (First Real Ride On Bike!)
    By tkdan235 in forum Ride Reports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-19-2008, 02:02 PM
  3. Train ride ride back
    By GSADVENTURE in forum Ride Reports
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-04-2005, 01:11 AM
  4. Replies: 260
    Last Post: 10-24-2005, 07:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts