• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R60/6 Main Seal Parts Replacement Question

kentuvman

Hi guys,

While doing clutch spline lube noticed a bunch of oil in the case - so planning to replace the main seal & O ring - do I need to block the camshaft before removing the clutch and flywheel?

The manual says to replace the Flywheel bolts (5) and from what I've read it's a good idea to do so.

Manual also says to replace the clutch filter head screws (6) - is this optional or necessary?

My driveshaft bolts have washers - the Max BMW fiche says I need to buy new bolts & washers - have read if I can easily screw in the existing bolts no need to replace them and I can leave out the lock washers and use Blue Loctite.

For the Oil Pump "O" Ring they're showing (4) replacement metric bolts for the cover - p/n 07119904357 / I know Northwoods Airheads had replacement bolts that were Allen head but trying to place the order with one vendor. Should be the same.

Thanks for your thoughts & input!

Yes, you have to block the crankshaft.

No, you should not reuse the driveshaft bolts with washers, and no you can't reuse those longer bolts without the washers. Just buy the new shorter bolts. Don't be the cheapest thing on the bike.

The driveshaft bolts come in two lengths- those with lock washers and those without. Using bolts designed for lock washers and then not using the lock washers will be too long (at least that's how it is on the R75)

And yes the crankshaft needs to be securely blocked from the front to prevent it from moving forward when the flywheel is removed (again, true at least on the R75). Movement of the crankshaft forward will slip a part off its pin and will require complete tear-down of the engine.

Some bolts are engineered to stretch when installed and are "one-use". Others are not. If BMW says to replace the bolts it is likely because of this difference (Porsche experience)

Back