Thread: 2012 RT engine symbol in dashboard multi function display

2012 RT engine symbol in dashboard multi function display

My bike has some 76K plus miles now and I have been noticing recently that the little engine with an exclamation point symbol appears to linger longer than a second or two when I start my bike. Sometimes it’s there for 4 or 5 seconds before going off. The yellow triangle is not present. The bike got a full tune-up 4000 miles ago so it doesn't need that.

The riders manual says this engine symbol plus the yellow triangle means the engine is in emergency operating mode, something I have never experienced. That’s the only thing I see that this symbol is used to indicate, unless I missed something. Otherwise the engine runs as it always did, maybe with and tad more clatter than it did in its earlier age. No fault codes are present according to my GS-911 diagnostics. However, I am wondering if this new behavior is a precursor to some component failure that I’d rather not experience on a road trip. Anybody seeing/experienced something like this?
    Bill in Highlands Ranch, CO
    2012 R1200RT

Have a dealer or someone nearby with a GS-911 scan for codes?

Oops. I missed that you already scanned it.
    Last edited by pappy35; 05-19-2018 at 09:01 PM.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

My personal opinion... I'm not a BMW tech.

I don't think you're letting the bike complete it self-diagnosis before hitting the starter button.

Try turning the key on, let the "Check" symbol come on and then wait till it goes out before hitting the starter button

I never get the Engine/Exclamation symbol when doing this.

The only time I get the Engine symbol is when I hit the starter button before the bike has completed it's self check.

I just went out to verify this before I posted this note to make sure I knew what I was telling you.

May not be your case, but it's my best guess. Specially since you didn't have any 911 fault codes showing.
    Yeeha! Stephen
    R1200RS, R1200RT, R1200R, (R1150RT = Donated To Charity)
    "Why eat a Burger when you can have Pie?!" Miss Vicki @ Lost Maples Cafe - Utopia Texas

It worked!

Thanks Stephen, just went out and tried this and it worked. I just gave it 30 seconds before hitting the starter and voila, no engine symbol.

Two RT's and 150K miles and I never picked up on this. Thanks!
    Bill in Highlands Ranch, CO
    2012 R1200RT

Not related. But I have an 07 rt. And my odometer flashs all the time drives nut so I leave on trip meter. Any suggestions on that ???????? JD
    R2007 R1200RT
    3 More years to freedom Retirement LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxthegreater View Post
    Thanks Stephen, just went out and tried this and it worked. I just gave it 30 seconds before hitting the starter and voila, no engine symbol.

Two RT's and 150K miles and I never picked up on this. Thanks!
    I read somewhere this also allows the idle stepper motors zero point to be calibrated by the controller. So at each start up they reset to known zero.

Does anyone know if this is true? I have done the GS 911 procedure but wondered if it was done at each start up automatically also.

Thanks

Eric
    (New to me) 2010 R1200RT after HD Electra Glides for 35 years

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie Dog View Post
    I read somewhere this also allows the idle stepper motors zero point to be calibrated by the controller. So at each start up they reset to known zero.

Does anyone know if this is true? I have done the GS 911 procedure but wondered if it was done at each start up automatically also.

Thanks

Eric
    Yes - it's true. Put a finger on one of the steppers then turn the ignition on - you'll feel it doing this. It goes to zero then opens to where the ECU thinks it should be to start the bike. The GS-911 zero function simply triggers this. You can monitor the stepper motor(s) position using the GS-911 - how many steps open from zero it is.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Yes - it's true. Put a finger on one of the steppers then turn the ignition on - you'll feel it doing this. It goes to zero then opens to where the ECU thinks it should be to start the bike. The GS-911 zero function simply triggers this. You can monitor the stepper motor(s) position using the GS-911 - how many steps open from zero it is.

Good deal.

Thank you.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by YeehaStephen View Post
    I don't think you're letting the bike complete it self-diagnosis before hitting the starter button.
    This is correct I'm sure, but here is some "more to the story."

If you're riding somewhere and manage somehow to kill your motor, you may be embarrassed or disgusted or whatever and attempt an immediate restart. Probably won't happen. Turn ignition off and back on and go through the wait
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    This is correct I'm sure, but here is some "more to the story."

If you're riding somewhere and manage somehow to kill your motor, you may be embarrassed or disgusted or whatever and attempt an immediate restart. Probably won't happen. Turn ignition off and back on and go through the wait
    Nope, starts right up after killing the engine inadvertently. Pull clutch in and hit the start button and it starts right up, no problem.

At least on 2010 RT I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie Dog View Post
    Nope, starts right up after killing the engine inadvertently. Pull clutch in and hit the start button and it starts right up, no problem.

At least on 2010 RT I have.
    +1
    Same on my 07
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    2007 R1200RT - IBA # 56396

Gas gauge always reads full.

Two weeks I purchased a 2009 R1200GS adventure with 33,000 k on it. Today the info panel began acting up. For a short while the only thing visible was the word PANEL With a yellow triangle, Then panel would then switch back and forth from acting normally to no information. The one constant was the fuel gauge read full. I let the bike go through it start up check.