Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1994 environmentally responsible

Are you proud of the fact that bike's one of the first BMW produced following new Euro regulations and that all your wiring harnesses are designed to be biodegradable and are probably falling apart by now?
    The Euro standards were not designed to be biodegradable. Starting in the 1990's Europe and Asia moved towards the reduction of hazardous substances in electronic products. It became law in 2003. It is called RoHS (Reduction of Hazardous Substances). While it is not the law in North America, all mfg around the world adopted the standard. This is because if you are a mfg in the United States you would not be able to sell your products in Europe if they were not RoHS. So, all wires anywhere in the world are RoHS, and have been that way for a very long time.

As for Oilheads, the wires to the HES were not rated properly. That is why they dry out and fall apart. Using a higher temperature grade RoHS wire solves the problem. The rest of the wire harnesses on the bike are not going to biodegrade.

If you want to learn more about the hazardous chemicals that were removed from electronics and metal plating, you can see them here: http://www.rohsguide.com/rohs-substances.htm

Quote Originally Posted by 23217 View Post
    The Euro standards were not designed to be biodegradable. Starting in the 1990's Europe and Asia moved towards the reduction of hazardous substances in electronic products. It became law in 2003. It is called RoHS (Reduction of Hazardous Substances). While it is not the law in North America, all mfg around the world adopted the standard. This is because if you are a mfg in the United States you would not be able to sell your products in Europe if they were not RoHS. So, all wires anywhere in the world are RoHS, and have been that way for a very long time.

As for Oilheads, the wires to the HES were not rated properly. That is why they dry out and fall apart. Using a higher temperature grade RoHS wire solves the problem. The rest of the wire harnesses on the bike are not going to biodegrade.

If you want to learn more about the hazardous chemicals that were removed from electronics and metal plating, you can see them here: http://www.rohsguide.com/rohs-substances.htm
    Finally someone makes sense. You are absolutely correct. The HES wiring was simply another BMW screw up nothing more and does not reflect on the integrity of the wiring harness nor is the harness designed to biodegrade. That is not to say that BMW is the only vehicle manufacturer on the planet with a history of screwing up and when you consider the complexity of the modern vehicle it's really pretty understandable and even forgivable. The FJR has a kind of weird system of ground circuitry in the wiring harness that is, imo, not well designed from an engineering standpoint and is prone to failure often times doing rather severe damage to the harness itself. Pretty easy to prevent if you're adept at good wiring practices but if not you could be in for an expensive surprise. Lucky for me I do know my way around a soldering iron and good wiring practices. Not bragging just true because of my background.
    Jammess

'93 R1100RSL, '10 FJR1300A
    MOA # 50714

The rest of the wire harnesses on the bike are not going to biodegrade.
    I think you're engaging in wishful thinking and denial and ignoring reality. Perhaps I'll find the switch wiring harness I removed and provide photos. It was degraded as I reported.

While you're at it check the forums regarding all the brake hose failures on Oilheads. I rode my R100RS for 25+ years with the same hoses, but that's not the story for Oilheads. I imagine a majority of Airheads still have their original hoses.

The car parts regulations in Europe date back to the 1990s and complying components were installed then, nothing waiting until 2003. The Oilheads appearing in 1994 were compliant. It was Mercedes M104 engines of 94-95 that had failed $1K wiring harnesses ... they lasted past warranty and owners were up in arms. Yes, the regulations cover quantity as well and of course reducing quantity of wiring reduces weight which helps fuel economy, so even more reasons for CAN bus. I purchased a complete under dash wiring harness for an early 2000s Porsche 911--not CAN bus--I can barely lift it and there is certainly opportunity for weight reduction.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Walked out to the garage to check on my '94 R1100RS. I'm in a state of shock. The bike has disenigrated into a pile of dust on the garage floor. It was a nice bike and will be sorely missed. I swept the remains up into a urn and gave it a proper burial to be properly environmentally correct. If I'd of just known, I would have bought a Honda. I do have the owners manual just like in the original post to remember the bike. Pretty sad affair really..
    Sorry for your loss.

I think you're engaging in wishful thinking and denial and ignoring reality
    Gee wiz Kent...you got me there. I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I do know a tiny bit about the subject. I own a company that mfg and distributes cables and connectors. I also have a degree in Chemistry, and spent some time studying under a world-famous polymer chemist.

If you were to do some research, I think you should be able to answer your own questions in your previous post. But, to get you started, the RoHS movement started in the early 1990's, and became law in 2003. Raw plastics are rigid, and to make them flexible, you need to add compounds so that they can flex without breaking. When you change from proven formulations to new formulations it takes time to perfect the process. Most mfg didn't get it perfect right away. So, wires during that time period were not the best that polymer chemistry had to offer. Here is another tip: Flexible plastics can become brittle when they are overheated past their continuous service temperature. The Oilhead HES wiring is a perfect example of this.

Left Coast Rider
    Gee wiz Kent...you got me there. I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I do know a tiny bit about the subject. I own a company that mfg and distributes cables and connectors. I also have a degree in Chemistry, and spent some time studying under a world-famous polymer chemist.

If you were to do some research, I think you should be able to answer your own questions in your previous post. But, to get you started, the RoHS movement started in the early 1990's, and became law in 2003. Raw plastics are rigid, and to make them flexible, you need to add compounds so that they can flex without breaking. When you change from proven formulations to new formulations it takes time to perfect the process. Most mfg didn't get it perfect right away. So, wires during that time period were not the best that polymer chemistry had to offer. Here is another tip: Flexible plastics can become brittle when they are overheated past their continuous service temperature. The Oilhead HES wiring is a perfect example of this.
    Oh great, some guy who knows what he's talking about.

My 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid's wiring attracts rats and all four injectors were chewed on when I made the mistake of parking it outside for about a month in front of my garage so I could host my new '16 RT in its stable. Other wires were chewed on as well and the entire episode became a $1300 insurance claim. Ford said soy in the wiring insulation was what was attracting rats.

About soy wiring, my '81 Volvo 245 hot wiring went first, crumbly, sparky like. Fixed it, but eventually gave up, donation. That was the third brick for me, first two were fine, a '68 and a '72. Last one, an '88 240 was super good, drove it 16 years and then unexplainably the Dana rear end gave it up. To much hassle/expense to fix. Two scents, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    ...wiring attracts rats..
    I do not know anything about modern wire insulation, but had the pleasure of giving BMW $600 to identify and then splice the harness back behind the fuel tank of a 2009 BMW 3-series wagon. Mice in the garage. (Mice "gone," now.) In the desert SW, if parked outside, you'll often see p/u trucks and cars with their hoods open at night and sometimes, a light hanging in the engine bay. Pack rats don't like light. One neighbor also leaves a trap on the air cleaner in his venerable old truck; says he's dispatched 22 rodents with that technique. It's a bigger problem in cooler seasons; in summer, rattlesnakes do their job.
    Last edited by 1957mpd; 06-14-2018 at 05:46 PM. Reason: typo
    "Soló el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible." Miguel de Unamuno 1905

Mark - Las Cruces, NM - '10 K1300S and '17 R1200 GSA