• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1994 environmentally responsible

Gee wiz Kent...you got me there. I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I do know a tiny bit about the subject. I own a company that mfg and distributes cables and connectors. I also have a degree in Chemistry, and spent some time studying under a world-famous polymer chemist.

If you were to do some research, I think you should be able to answer your own questions in your previous post. But, to get you started, the RoHS movement started in the early 1990's, and became law in 2003. Raw plastics are rigid, and to make them flexible, you need to add compounds so that they can flex without breaking. When you change from proven formulations to new formulations it takes time to perfect the process. Most mfg didn't get it perfect right away. So, wires during that time period were not the best that polymer chemistry had to offer. Here is another tip: Flexible plastics can become brittle when they are overheated past their continuous service temperature. The Oilhead HES wiring is a perfect example of this.

Oh great, some guy who knows what he's talking about. :laugh

My 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid's wiring attracts rats and all four injectors were chewed on when I made the mistake of parking it outside for about a month in front of my garage so I could host my new '16 RT in its stable. Other wires were chewed on as well and the entire episode became a $1300 insurance claim. Ford said soy in the wiring insulation was what was attracting rats.

About soy wiring, my '81 Volvo 245 hot wiring went first, crumbly, sparky like. Fixed it, but eventually gave up, donation. That was the third brick for me, first two were fine, a '68 and a '72. Last one, an '88 240 was super good, drove it 16 years and then unexplainably the Dana rear end gave it up. To much hassle/expense to fix. Two scents, FWIW.

...wiring attracts rats..
I do not know anything about modern wire insulation, but had the pleasure of giving BMW $600 to identify and then splice the harness back behind the fuel tank of a 2009 BMW 3-series wagon. Mice in the garage. (Mice "gone," now.) In the desert SW, if parked outside, you'll often see p/u trucks and cars with their hoods open at night and sometimes, a light hanging in the engine bay. Pack rats don't like light. One neighbor also leaves a trap on the air cleaner in his venerable old truck; says he's dispatched 22 rodents with that technique. It's a bigger problem in cooler seasons; in summer, rattlesnakes do their job.

Last edited:
Back