Thread: Breaks up above 1/3 throttle, No fault codes

Breaks up above 1/3 throttle, No fault codes

2007 R1200RT Just returned from a 1,500 mile trip. Road through heavy rains. Bike ran perfect. Went on a 200 miler today and about 20 miles out bike would act up above 1/3 throttle, lose power, hesitate, back off throttle a bit and it would accelerate as normal. At times problem seemed to disappear. First impression was water in fuel. Stopped and dumped some Startron in tank, ran tank down below quarter tank and filled with fresh fuel. There were times when the rpms were up I could go full throttle and it would respond and other times more than 1/3 throttle and would crap out. Came home and put the GS-911 on it and no fault codes. Any suggestions? Think I'll install a new set of plugs and see if that helps but I doubt it.

Those are symptoms that could point to worn plugs. Experience - about 40 years ago - taught me that.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

The plugs have only been in there for around 11 thousand miles, but since I have a set I'll try that first.

OK put the top 2 plugs in, did not have time to remove the plastic to do the bottom 2. Plugs looked fine. Started bike, seemed to idle a little rough. When I pulled out on the road gave it some throttle and it crapped out a bit. Went down the road till the temp came up and grabbed a hand full. It stuttered, farted, popped and took off. Ran perfect after that. About 15 miles came home idle is smooth now. WTF I don't have an explanation but all is back to normal now. Just hope it lasts.

I once had similar symptoms that occurred after a fill-up at rundown station, so I blamed bad gas. Ran OK at lower rpm, but lost power under load. I could get up to speed but power dropped around 3500-4000 rpm. Replaced gas, tried various miracle fuel treatments, no joy, but once in a while it would accelerate normally. Actually turned out to be a loose wire to an upper coil.

The bike runs on all four coils at low rpm, but at higher rpm and load, the timing on the lower coils shifts until they fire well after TDC. For better emissions, I think. With one upper coil not working, and no contribution from the lower coils, I was essentially running on a single spark plug. If your connections are good, you may have a bad coil. Unfortunately, there is no way to test a coil other than swapping with a known good coil.

From a press release announcing the R1200 engine: Featured in all BMW Boxers since 2003 (with the exception of the 850cc power units), dual ignition has been further modified and improved on the R1200GS. The auxiliary spark plug is now arranged at the outer edge of the cylinder, the ignition timing of both plugs being freely programmable as a function of load and engine speed in order to further optimise running smoothness, emission management, and fuel economy. Referred to as "phase shift", this adjustment process is maintained consistently all the way from part load to full load.
    In practice, this means different ignition timing points on both spark plugs in defined control map areas. When approaching full load, where dual ignition no longer provides any benefits, the phase shift effect is so large that the spark crosses over on the auxiliary plug in the expansion cycle (60 degrees at TDC). For all practical purposes this corresponds to single ignition on the central spark plug under full load.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT