Thread: Hi-vis color change on new Schuberth helmet

Hi-vis color change on new Schuberth helmet

I bought a new Schuberth C3 Pro in "Echo Yellow" (Hi-viz) from the local BMW dealership 61 days ago. I've worn it for about 1800 miles of riding, but otherwise store it in my top case when not in use. I thought it looked kinda dingy, but when I popped off the air vent cover to clean, the color difference was dramatic as you can see. The paint exposed to the sun was significantly darker.

I cleaned the helmet using soap and water per Schuberth instructions, but the photo was taken after the cleaning.

The dealer tells me this is normal for all hi-viz equipment from all manufacturers. I accept that almost any color will fade after long-term sun exposure, but that usually means it gets lighter, not darker, and usually takes a lot more than two months of intermittent use.

Is this really normal with hi-viz colors, or is the dealer just feeding me a line?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I can't answer the question but do ponder how in the world some guy in a motorcycle shop became an expert in fabrics and plastics.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Any helmet manufacturer using hi-viz colors will tell you they will fade over time when exposed to UV rays. Thats why I keep my helmet in a bag when not in use; particularly when I'm riding and stop for lunch; it either comes in with me or gets covered.
    Along those lines, hi-viz colors on fabric will do the same.
    My Klim Induction jacket in hi-viz came with that advisement.

The attached was included with my C3 pro:
    Name:  Schuberth Fade.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  66.4 KB

Joe
    ďFate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

Yep, my hi viz Bmw jacket faded in a matter of months also. I donít think in the OPís comment that itís getting darker, just fading...and the underlying color may be darker

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Brian Hinton
    2007 R1200R
    2007 K1200GT
    1987 K75T