• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hi-vis color change on new Schuberth helmet

javadave

I bought a new Schuberth C3 Pro in "Echo Yellow" (Hi-viz) from the local BMW dealership 61 days ago. I've worn it for about 1800 miles of riding, but otherwise store it in my top case when not in use. I thought it looked kinda dingy, but when I popped off the air vent cover to clean, the color difference was dramatic as you can see. The paint exposed to the sun was significantly darker.

I cleaned the helmet using soap and water per Schuberth instructions, but the photo was taken after the cleaning.

The dealer tells me this is normal for all hi-viz equipment from all manufacturers. I accept that almost any color will fade after long-term sun exposure, but that usually means it gets lighter, not darker, and usually takes a lot more than two months of intermittent use.

Is this really normal with hi-viz colors, or is the dealer just feeding me a line?

Attachments

• IMG_0988.jpg
    IMG_0988.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 449
I can't answer the question but do ponder how in the world some guy in a motorcycle shop became an expert in fabrics and plastics.

Any helmet manufacturer using hi-viz colors will tell you they will fade over time when exposed to UV rays. Thats why I keep my helmet in a bag when not in use; particularly when I'm riding and stop for lunch; it either comes in with me or gets covered.
Along those lines, hi-viz colors on fabric will do the same.
My Klim Induction jacket in hi-viz came with that advisement.

The attached was included with my C3 pro:
Schuberth Fade.jpg

Joe

Yep, my hi viz Bmw jacket faded in a matter of months also. I don’t think in the OP’s comment that it’s getting darker, just fading...and the underlying color may be darker

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back