• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Can anyone identify this hose?

nevada72

Vintage User
Pic found online

R100 Airbox.jpg

It's missing from the air box on my 83 R100RT. I was removing the air injection parts, and noticed a fitting towards the front and center of the air box housing. When searching online to see if it's part of the air injection, it appears it is not. So now I'm not sure what it does, but I assume an unplugged fitting needs to either be capped, or the line installed.

As usual, all help is appreciated.

Pic found online

View attachment 68380

It's missing from the air box on my 83 R100RT. I was removing the air injection parts, and noticed a fitting towards the front and center of the air box housing. When searching online to see if it's part of the air injection, it appears it is not. So now I'm not sure what it does, but I assume an unplugged fitting needs to either be capped, or the line installed.

As usual, all help is appreciated.

That hose is coming from the tee fitting going to the vacuum ports to each carb. The hose goes to the tube on the air injector bottom left in your picture.

Don

I'm not that familiar with these later airboxes but ran across this page...maybe some info?

http://gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/r100rt/pulseAir/

That hose is coming from the tee fitting going to the vacuum ports to each carb. The hose goes to the tube on the air injector bottom left in your picture.

Don

Thank you both! Exactly the information I was looking for.

The previous owner had removed the lines from the vacuum ports on the carbs (and didn't plug them - yes, they are now plugged) so I didn't realize that the fitting I was wondering about was in fact the T fitting. So basically I'v e been sucking unfiltered air in through that fitting. I'll remove it and plug the hole.

I'm hoping all this work results in a bike that doesn't have such profound decel popping. Other than that the bike runs fairly well if not a little hot.

Again - thanks!

I'll also add as a sidebar, my biggest concern was removing the fitting from the head. I figured after all this time it would be welded in. And Snowbum's cautionary tales reinforced that. It was with great surprise that I found the left one to be loose and easily unscrewed by hand, and the right one just barely wrench tight. I don't think it would have registered on my inch/pound torque wrench.

Back