Thread: Can anyone identify this hose?

Can anyone identify this hose?

Pic found online

R100 Airbox.jpg

It's missing from the air box on my 83 R100RT. I was removing the air injection parts, and noticed a fitting towards the front and center of the air box housing. When searching online to see if it's part of the air injection, it appears it is not. So now I'm not sure what it does, but I assume an unplugged fitting needs to either be capped, or the line installed.

As usual, all help is appreciated.
    1971 R75/5 - 1983 R100RT

I'm not that familiar with these later airboxes but ran across this page...maybe some info?

http://gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/r100rt/pulseAir/
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by nevada72 View Post
    Pic found online

R100 Airbox.jpg

It's missing from the air box on my 83 R100RT. I was removing the air injection parts, and noticed a fitting towards the front and center of the air box housing. When searching online to see if it's part of the air injection, it appears it is not. So now I'm not sure what it does, but I assume an unplugged fitting needs to either be capped, or the line installed.

As usual, all help is appreciated.
    That hose is coming from the tee fitting going to the vacuum ports to each carb. The hose goes to the tube on the air injector bottom left in your picture.

Don
    1975 R90/6, 1980 and 1982 R65, 2015 Ural Patrol, 1959 TR3A Triumph Car

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I'm not that familiar with these later airboxes but ran across this page...maybe some info?

http://gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/r100rt/pulseAir/
    Quote Originally Posted by donbmw View Post
    That hose is coming from the tee fitting going to the vacuum ports to each carb. The hose goes to the tube on the air injector bottom left in your picture.

Don
    Thank you both! Exactly the information I was looking for.

The previous owner had removed the lines from the vacuum ports on the carbs (and didn't plug them - yes, they are now plugged) so I didn't realize that the fitting I was wondering about was in fact the T fitting. So basically I'v e been sucking unfiltered air in through that fitting. I'll remove it and plug the hole.

I'm hoping all this work results in a bike that doesn't have such profound decel popping. Other than that the bike runs fairly well if not a little hot.

Again - thanks!
    1971 R75/5 - 1983 R100RT

I'll also add as a sidebar, my biggest concern was removing the fitting from the head. I figured after all this time it would be welded in. And Snowbum's cautionary tales reinforced that. It was with great surprise that I found the left one to be loose and easily unscrewed by hand, and the right one just barely wrench tight. I don't think it would have registered on my inch/pound torque wrench.
    1971 R75/5 - 1983 R100RT