• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fairing side panel removal

Okay. The dealer where I bought the bike has performed all major services.

600, 6,000, 12,000, and the most recent 18,000.

Twice they have broken the tabs off the right side fairing panel. Both times they have replaced them, no problem. I understand. **** happens.

But with my warranty nearing it's end, and my desire to do more of my own maintenance, I have to ask:

Is there some definitive video out there regarding the removal of these panels? I know that they're close to $500 IIRC, and if the trained techs can't get them off without wrecking them..

Just looking for a little help.

Thanks in advance.

I've done my own maintenance from the get go and have had those panels off several times without one issue. You do need to be aware of the tabs and not to put unnecessary stress on them (either taking the panels off or putting them back on) but short of that, you should be just fine. How the dealer's broken yours twice, I just don't understand. I think it comes down to the people that get assigned to do general maintenance stuff in the shop. Lets face it, it's probably not going to be the guy(s) with the most experience ... they're busy doing more complicated jobs. That's one of the reasons I'd just rather do the routine stuff (or as much as humanly possible) myself.

I agree with Lirider. I have done a service or 2 on both a 2015 RT and a 2017 GS. You just have to be careful and not put too much stress on the panels. What has been the conversation with the service manager after each of the panel incidences?

JVB video

What has been the conversation with the service manager after each of the panel incidences?

Me: “You guys broke this.”

S.M.: “Yep. So sorry, sir. I’ll get a replacement here as soon as I can. We’ll take care of it.”

Which they did. And couldn’t have been nicer. So I have no beef with that. Those panels are close to $500 IIRC, so after about $1,000 of their money, you’d think they’d pay a little more attention to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back