• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Yellowstone/Tetons Campgrounds in September without reservations

river-runner

We are going to do a Yellowstone/Tetons run from Portland, OR in September. Does anyone have experience with campgrounds in the parks after Labor Day? Will we need reservations or are sites usually available with kids back in school - we'd be looking for tent spots only.

We have three camp reservations in the Park, but will be looking for a home a couple days ahead and behind of our reservations.

Thanks.

I don't think you'll have any issue. I've camped there several times in the September time frame (a great time to go, BTW) and never had any issues with finding a tent spot. Trailers can sometime be a challenge, but tent spots are usually no problem.

That's Great! I'd like to kind of poke around and stop early in the day versus all reservations and be stuck to a timetable.

We took a long trip in late April and May only to find almost all the federal campgrounds were closed across the whole of the western US.........Don't go on a trip and expect campgrounds until May 15th and after......

There is a KOA just a couple of miles west of West Yellowstone - very comfortable with a large pool & jacuzzi! Of course it costs a little more than a more primitive site, and buy your food in town.
Also, in West Yellowstone, if the weather is not cooperating, the Madison Hotel (roadhouse) is quite decent.
There used to be another campground a little east of Moran Junction, but I don't know if it's still there.

The Madison Hotel looks kind of cool - the rooms look like they are "lost in time" but neat and clean. Thanks for the referral. Will keep the KOA in mind as well, just have had bad Ju-Ju from other KOA's........

The Ponderosa campground in Cody Wy is quite nice too. There is a “lower” are that shields you from traffic noise and is a tent area only. I have stayed there a few times and had a great experience. The Cody museum is absolutely worth a day to visit as well. YMMV

Yes I enjoyed the Madison. re the Ponderosa - I don't know if this was the one, but I've also stayed in a campground a block or two due south of the Remington museum - perfect stays, easy walking distance to anything in town (including the nightly cowboy "shoot-out"!).

Yes I enjoyed the Madison. re the Ponderosa - I don't know if this was the one, but I've also stayed in a campground a block or two due south of the Remington museum - perfect stays, easy walking distance to anything in town (including the nightly cowboy "shoot-out"!).

Yes that would be the Ponderosa. There is a Sierra trading post across the street iirc...

Well, I just did a Google Maps check... and no, I wasn't at the Ponderosa :banghead, I was at a smaller place just north of that. Seems that one isn't there anymore, unless the pics on the Google Maps site aren't accurate (may be the Best Western now). I do recall seeing the Ponderosa, though, and decided the other placed looked more thrifty, so that's where I stayed.

Ther's also a KOA in Cody (by the airport), the first one in the country if memory serves...

Just came through Yellowstone 2 weeks ago. RV trip pulling a Jeep. No motorcycle this time.

Stayed at the Grizzly RV Park in west Yellowstone. I bring it up because they have small cabins to stay in. The facilities are pretty nice. Bathrooms, showers etc. I took note of this place for future rides.

Cody has a nice KOA that we’ve stayed in a couple of times. One time in the cabins (nice) and one time tent. Go to The Chop House for a great steak!

Jeff

Following this thread as I have the first two weeks off in Sept. and heading to Yellowstone and hopefully Many Glacier Lodge.

A few years ago I rode in, in Sept, to Yellowstone. I went to the campground office and had no issue getting a camping spot. I did have to drive the wrong way on the one way street to be able to park the bike! LOL.

You'll be fine. Enjoy the park!

OP here:

Just to circle back for anyone going to Yellowstone after Labor Day. We were there the week after Labor Day.

All camps taking reservations in Yellowstone were totally full. All first come, first serve camps were full by 8:00 AM. If you are planning on camping, I'd get reservations.

Beartooth Pass was great! Wyoming is very pretty with some beautiful country and great roads for bikes. I wish we would have had more time.

Back