Thread: Left the Facebook page

Angry Left the Facebook page

I would assume most of you aren't a part of the MOA Facebook group anyways, but I was and I had to leave it. That page got way too out of hand. Grown men acting like children. The least welcoming Facebook page I have ever experienced. I'm going to stick to the forums.

Anyone else had a similar experience with the Facebook group? I was hoping to use it to get in touch with some people in the midwest who wanted to do long haul and day rides, but that just seems impossible to do there now. Maybe it's because I am a fair bit younger than most members, I don't know, but it kept getting way out of hand really quickly.

Side note: if anyone is in the midwest (Chicagoland area) and wants to meet up for single or multi day rides (I like to camp) let me know!

- J

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    I left the Facebook group six months ago and then Facebook altogether last month. FB just didn't provide the lasting value for me that our website and forum does. Social media apps continue to evolve and change - for better or for worse with little control offered to users. I like the control we have over our environment. It is a precious thing.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Welcome to the REAL discussion area, J! We've had a few FB threads on here and speaking for myself, we like it here where things are easy to find and things "usually" stack on track! FB is a free resource, nothing ventured to join, so you tend to get things like that. Glad you've invested in the forum. Let us know if there's anything you need to find.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by jayskerdoo View Post
    I would assume most of you aren't a part of the MOA Facebook group anyways, but I was and I had to leave it. That page got way too out of hand. Grown men acting like children. The least welcoming Facebook page I have ever experienced. I'm going to stick to the forums.

Anyone else had a similar experience with the Facebook group? I was hoping to use it to get in touch with some people in the midwest who wanted to do long haul and day rides, but that just seems impossible to do there now. Maybe it's because I am a fair bit younger than most members, I don't know, but it kept getting way out of hand really quickly.

Side note: if anyone is in the midwest (Chicagoland area) and wants to meet up for single or multi day rides (I like to camp) let me know!

- J
    Had similar experience on Facebook, and also here in the forums. Kurt and the team have worked hard to clean up the forums... our moderators on the Facebook page have their work cut out for them, there is only so much they can do and rely on the members to report to admin (which no one ever does - they try to fix it themselves by wading in guns a blazing, which as you can imagine, doesnít work too often, as in never.)

I seem to remember your initial post requesting riding buddies in the Chicago area. As I recal I welcomed you and would have joined you had I didnít live in lower Alabama, (if I didnít, weíll, now I did). Iím assuming the snarky crowd caused your thread to devolve. With social media the best advice I can give here, Facebook, or otherwise: take the good, ignore the bad, let the admins and mods deal with the prepubescent pusillanimous lickspittle.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Had similar experience on Facebook, and also here in the forums. Kurt and the team have worked hard to clean up the forums... our moderators on the Facebook page have their work cut out for them, there is only so much they can do and rely on the members to report to admin (which no one ever does - they try to fix it themselves by wading in guns a blazing, which as you can imagine, doesnít work too often, as in never.)

I seem to remember your initial post requesting riding buddies in the Chicago area. As I recal I welcomed you and would have joined you had I didnít live in lower Alabama, (if I didnít, weíll, now I did). Iím assuming the snarky crowd caused your thread to devolve. With social media the best advice I can give here, Facebook, or otherwise: take the good, ignore the bad, let the admins and mods deal with the prepubescent pusillanimous lickspittle.
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Yeah, I'm really glad I invested in the full membership. I've used good forum sites for all my hobbies over the years so this kind of feels like home already.

Funny you should mention that post actually, because when I created my account for the forums it allows you to add a little welcome message and such. But, I have never been able to find my way back to that thread! In my archives, this is the only post that exists. Do they automatically remove those welcome posts after a certain time frame? I would love to go back and see if anyone was in the Chicagoland area...

- J

The best way I’ve been able to pull up previous threads buried deep in the page is by using key words, usually my name, in the search feature within the group. There’s a lot of buried stuff you can pull with that technique.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Glad to see you are enjoying the value of the forum
    Your posts are visible when you click on your profile. You are at post count of 3, they are all visible at this time.
    If you need help, just ask.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Glad to see you are enjoying the value of the forum
    Your posts are visible when you click on your profile. You are at post count of 3, they are all visible at this time.
    If you need help, just ask.
    Gary
    Yeah, I was able to see that. Still no sign of my welcome post. I guess it just disappeared or was never there in the first place..? I've tried using my name in the search function as well, and only see these 3 posts from my profile).

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    I ditched FB a few months ago and Iím just on 4 forums. One for Mountainbiking and three for motorcycles incl this one. Itís enlightening to ditch all the nonsense in what has become Ďanti social mediaí. Noticed how many discussions become toxic so quickly? Lifeís too short for that..
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2017 R1200RT White
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA

I never registered on Facebook, and I'm stunned about how much information people put up about themselves.
    Last edited by Rinty; 06-03-2018 at 03:36 AM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."