• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Left the Facebook page

jayskerdoo

I would assume most of you aren't a part of the MOA Facebook group anyways, but I was and I had to leave it. That page got way too out of hand. Grown men acting like children. The least welcoming Facebook page I have ever experienced. I'm going to stick to the forums.

Anyone else had a similar experience with the Facebook group? I was hoping to use it to get in touch with some people in the midwest who wanted to do long haul and day rides, but that just seems impossible to do there now. Maybe it's because I am a fair bit younger than most members, I don't know, but it kept getting way out of hand really quickly.

Side note: if anyone is in the midwest (Chicagoland area) and wants to meet up for single or multi day rides (I like to camp) let me know!

- J

I left the Facebook group six months ago and then Facebook altogether last month. FB just didn't provide the lasting value for me that our website and forum does. Social media apps continue to evolve and change - for better or for worse with little control offered to users. I like the control we have over our environment. It is a precious thing.

Welcome to the REAL discussion area, J! We've had a few FB threads on here and speaking for myself, we like it here where things are easy to find and things "usually" stack on track! :thumb FB is a free resource, nothing ventured to join, so you tend to get things like that. Glad you've invested in the forum. Let us know if there's anything you need to find.

I would assume most of you aren't a part of the MOA Facebook group anyways, but I was and I had to leave it. That page got way too out of hand. Grown men acting like children. The least welcoming Facebook page I have ever experienced. I'm going to stick to the forums.

Anyone else had a similar experience with the Facebook group? I was hoping to use it to get in touch with some people in the midwest who wanted to do long haul and day rides, but that just seems impossible to do there now. Maybe it's because I am a fair bit younger than most members, I don't know, but it kept getting way out of hand really quickly.

Side note: if anyone is in the midwest (Chicagoland area) and wants to meet up for single or multi day rides (I like to camp) let me know!

- J

Had similar experience on Facebook, and also here in the forums. Kurt and the team have worked hard to clean up the forums... our moderators on the Facebook page have their work cut out for them, there is only so much they can do and rely on the members to report to admin (which no one ever does - they try to fix it themselves by wading in guns a blazing, which as you can imagine, doesn’t work too often, as in never.)

I seem to remember your initial post requesting riding buddies in the Chicago area. As I recal I welcomed you and would have joined you had I didn’t live in lower Alabama, (if I didn’t, we’ll, now I did). I’m assuming the snarky crowd caused your thread to devolve. With social media the best advice I can give here, Facebook, or otherwise: take the good, ignore the bad, let the admins and mods deal with the prepubescent pusillanimous lickspittle.

Had similar experience on Facebook, and also here in the forums. Kurt and the team have worked hard to clean up the forums... our moderators on the Facebook page have their work cut out for them, there is only so much they can do and rely on the members to report to admin (which no one ever does - they try to fix it themselves by wading in guns a blazing, which as you can imagine, doesn’t work too often, as in never.)

I seem to remember your initial post requesting riding buddies in the Chicago area. As I recal I welcomed you and would have joined you had I didn’t live in lower Alabama, (if I didn’t, we’ll, now I did). I’m assuming the snarky crowd caused your thread to devolve. With social media the best advice I can give here, Facebook, or otherwise: take the good, ignore the bad, let the admins and mods deal with the prepubescent pusillanimous lickspittle.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Yeah, I'm really glad I invested in the full membership. I've used good forum sites for all my hobbies over the years so this kind of feels like home already.

Funny you should mention that post actually, because when I created my account for the forums it allows you to add a little welcome message and such. But, I have never been able to find my way back to that thread! In my archives, this is the only post that exists. Do they automatically remove those welcome posts after a certain time frame? I would love to go back and see if anyone was in the Chicagoland area...

- J

The best way I’ve been able to pull up previous threads buried deep in the page is by using key words, usually my name, in the search feature within the group. There’s a lot of buried stuff you can pull with that technique.

Glad to see you are enjoying the value of the forum :thumb
Your posts are visible when you click on your profile. You are at post count of 3, they are all visible at this time.
If you need help, just ask.
Gary

Glad to see you are enjoying the value of the forum :thumb
Your posts are visible when you click on your profile. You are at post count of 3, they are all visible at this time.
If you need help, just ask.
Gary

Yeah, I was able to see that. Still no sign of my welcome post. I guess it just disappeared or was never there in the first place..? I've tried using my name in the search function as well, and only see these 3 posts from my profile).

I ditched FB a few months ago and I’m just on 4 forums. One for Mountainbiking and three for motorcycles incl this one. It’s enlightening to ditch all the nonsense in what has become ‘anti social media’. Noticed how many discussions become toxic so quickly? Life’s too short for that..

I never registered on Facebook, and I'm surprised as to how much information people put up about themselves.

Last edited:
Today....FaceBook lost 119 Billion in market value. This is the largest single day loss for any company in history. Zuckerbeg lost around 16 Billion himself although i think he will still be fine :whistle

I only mention this so as users of FB have an idea what their information is worth- in cyberspace. :eek :eek

OM

Today....FaceBook lost 119 Billion in market value. This is the largest single day loss for any company in history. Zuckerbeg lost around 16 Billion himself although i think he will still be fine...
OM

But as Ky Rysdall of APM Marketplace reminded this 'eve, that Facebook share price loss means it will open in the morning worth what it was just three months ago. Geez...

But as Ky Rysdall of APM Marketplace reminded this 'eve, that Facebook share price loss means it will open in the morning worth what it was just three months ago. Geez...

I was really trying to show users of FB the value of the information that joining, using and marketing creates.
OM

I heard that at least 3 million Europeans ditched FB because of privacy issues.... Personally I only had family and friends on there I know personally.
In this day and age of WhatsApp and other Apps, FB isn't really needed to keep in touch with your real friends and not the hundreds or so creepy followers trying to get in your life...

I long ago warned my friends and associates and other that FB is IMO something to avoid.

There is a real and specific reason why privacy is defined by the US constitution as a protected right under the 4th amendment.
(I am aware of the wording and various interpretations.)

I am a strong privacy type and have learned the hard way what happens when you let that go.

I have had my ID stolen (officially) and recognized by various entities 10 times.

Most of which was the result of the carelessness of banks and the US Gov.

The FB world is fueling the erosion of societal cohesion due to the openness and now literal tribalism taking place. Sitting around a circle of friends and chatting is better overall for obvious reasons. Social media allows you to remain (mostly) safely anonymous unless you blather out everything.

There is an old saying: Kept fences keep good neighbors. FB (IMO) is ripping the fences out and saying everything is open.

It will be sad if Zuckerberg gets down to his last 100 million and all the billionaires mock and bully him.

From CNBC

Facebook security breach allowed hackers to control the accounts of up to 50 million users

"Facebook discovered a security issue that allowed hackers to access information that could have let them take over around 50 million accounts, the company announced on Friday.

"This is a very serious security issue, and we're taking it very seriously," said CEO Mark Zuckerberg said on a call with reporters".

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/28/fac...n-accounts-investigation-in-early-stages.html

"The company said in a blog post its engineering team found that attackers identified a weakness in Facebook's code regarding its "View As" feature on Tuesday. Facebook became aware of a potential attack after it noticed a spike in user activity on Sept. 16.

"View As" lets users see what their profile looks like to other users on the platform. This vulnerability, which consisted of three separate bugs, also allowed the hackers to get access tokens — digital keys which let people stay logged into the service without having to re-enter their password — which could be used to control other people's accounts".

If Facebook goes down, how will we know what people had for breakfast.....or lunch? :hungover
om

Back