• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A day in the Great Basin Desert

GSteve

Took a little ride (380 miles) Friday and spent some time in the Great Basin Desert.

On the way to the visitor center for the Golden Spike National Historic site at Promontory Summit I passed by this site for ATK Aerospace Systems near Corrine, UT. ATK builds launch vehicles.

i-cdSKsL8-X3.jpg

https://www.orbitalatk.com/about/company-overview/

i-3xT4tBz-X3.jpg

It's a pretty big complex very near nowhere!

i-dwDWzXs-X3.jpg

A quick stop at the visitor center for a few photos before I headed off to my primary goal for the day. This is where East met West and a golden spike was driven to commemorate the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad.

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/promontory/

i-ksQkRQG-X3.jpg

i-xwq5qnh-X3.jpg

i-fgKPZ6g-X3.jpg

My primary mission was to ride the original railroad bed of the Transcontinental Railroad Route west to the area of Wendover, UT (near the Bonneville Salt Flats raceway) before slogging back to SLC on I-80.

i-rtsXwTt-X3.jpg

i-V6DMmzr-X3.jpg

Riding the original railroad bed from Promontory Summit westward. That's the shoreline of the Great Salt Lake to the south.

i-96jfjp5-X3.jpg

i-Df8SxRk-X2.jpg

i-9Pt9pgK-X2.jpg

i-JXgWBxV-X2.jpg

i-v8DvDMC-X2.jpg

i-kCBH7rJ-X2.jpg

The cemetery at the Kelton site.

i-x6VPMN9-X2.jpg

i-2cKgv6s-X2.jpg

Very sad events for the Forbes family.

i-zzbrhQx-X2.jpg

i-kBrrCqf-X2.jpg

I continued west and south to Wendover, UT and took the fast paved route home on I-80.

i-dRH6ncx-X2.jpg

There isn't much out there in that country today and I suspect there was even less in the 1860's. I only saw three other vehicles in 100 miles of gravel travel, two ranchers and one other tourist in a car.

Wow!

Looks like an awesome trip! As a photographer, I'm always interested in discovering new destinations for photo shoots... And your trip definitely provided that, so I'll have to add it to my "to do" list.
I'm envious!! LOL

Nice report Steve. :thumb

When I was at the National last year, I wanted to get to Promontory but it wasn't all that convenient to get to in the time I had. As your photos show, it's in the middle of nowhere! At least now I know what it looks like.

Back