• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Valve Service Time

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
Any idea how long a valve check / adjustment should take, from roll-in to fairing back on, for a K1200S? I understand that the more valves which need adjustment the longer it will take.

Thanks in advance for your input. :thumb

On our K1300Ss we were charged 2.7 hours to check the valves, replace the plugs and change the coolant.
No adjustment was needed at 30,000 miles.
How many miles on your S ?

I understand that the more valves which need adjustment the longer it will take.

The cams need to be removed if you need an adjustment.
Once the cams are out, it may not be a big difference if one or three valves need adjustment.

40,000 miles. Valves were last checked / adjusted at 25,000. Might I be wasting time and money to have them checked now?

I'm surprised they needed adjustment at 25,000 miles.
Since they were out of spec at 25,000 miles it would be good to check them at 40,000 to 43,000 miles.

There were two valves needing to be brought into spec. I thought that was pretty good. :dunno

Not always, but in most cases, K bikes go a long time before a valve adjustment is needed.

I don't know how much time is added if any shims need replacement.
I'm going to guess another hour.
henzilla can probably tell you.

On our K1300Ss we were charged 2.7 hours to check the valves, replace the plugs and change the coolant.
No adjustment was needed at 30,000 miles.
How many miles on your S ?

Lee, was that at a BMW dealer (flat rate for the work or actual time charged)???

Lee, was that at a BMW dealer (flat rate for the work or actual time charged)???

The work was done at a BMW shop, Engle Motors in Kansas City.
I think it was flat rate. Seems like the bill was pretty close to the estimate they gave me.

I go to my dealer every Saturday to BS with friends. I will check what the estimate for valve check, coolant flush & plug change. I would gladly pay for 3 hours for this service plus parts. Valves on modern motorcycles seldom need adjustment at 30,000 miles, a far cry from the 1970's & 1980's when valve seats seemed to be made of peanut butter.

I go to my dealer every Saturday to BS with friends. I will check what the estimate for valve check, coolant flush & plug change.

Had valves checked. I brought the bike in sans fairing. Nothing needed adjusting. One and a half hours labour including plug change. Seems about right considering they didn't have to deal with any bodywork. :thumb

5hrs was what my local dealer estimated for labor. That's to check valves, change plugs, change coolant. $440.00 includes Tupperware removal & reinstall.

Had valves checked. I brought the bike in sans fairing. Nothing needed adjusting. One and a half hours labour including plug change. Seems about right considering they didn't have to deal with any bodywork. :thumb

Good idea to take the plastic off. I'll remember that.

Back