Thread: Breakdown Procedures

Breakdown Procedures

How does one go about obtaining roadside assistance?
    Bike will not start, stored safely for the night, and obtained a lift home. Need to get the bike to a dealership, not under warranty.

Bad day at black rock. Or in my case Deepcreek road.BC, Stopped for a cold drink, bike (f700gs) would not start, quite a few bikes passed, without stopping, even though helmet was on the road behind the bike along with tools and tank bag.
    Fortunately, a guy on a KTM stopped, we tried a bump start no luck, we were right outside a farm, and a couple rode up on 700s who lived at the farm , someluck at last.
    So now its parked up until Tuesday. Let see what the dealership says it is, everything lights up, however when you press the button it just clks like a stuck starter or faulty solenoid on a car

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Age of bike? Age of battery? It sounds to me like "sudden battery death syndrome". I'm not sure what you mean by "everything lights up", as it's possible when the battery craps out suddenly.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...died-yesterday

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Battery

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Age of bike? Age of battery? It sounds to me like "sudden battery death syndrome". I'm not sure what you mean by "everything lights up", as it's possible when the battery craps out suddenly.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...died-yesterday

OM

I think you hit the nail on the head, took the battery out of one of my triumphs, (not the correct size but!) Started on the button, as it did in the thread you sent me. As they say in that thread, never had a battery behave like that before, nor have I, certainly fooled me, just in Salmon Arm BC, NAPA is charging a new battery. Thank you for posting the thread, as their symptoms were exactly the same.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Nice that you worked it out
    Happy to help.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

3 Red Bricks
    My wife's 2014 F70GS battery died in 10 months. The factory replacement died in 8 months. The third battery is still hanging in there with more judicious battery tender use. I very seldom use a tender on my other bikes Kbikes with PC680s going on around 10 years each.

The battery size is just a fraction of an inch in each dimension too small to put a decent size battery in there (like a PC680, 18ah vs only 12ah for stock). The PC680 is a very common dimension makeing aftermarket replacement easy and allows a choice in quality. The factory F700GS battery seems to not offer many good choices for replacement.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

My 7gs battery went south after 3 years. I went to a local battery store, not moto related and bought a replacement and all is well.
    Last edited by martyhill; 05-30-2018 at 04:08 PM.
    Marty Hill
    7 GS white

Ride till you can't