• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where/when did balance go away or did it?

motodan

Can remember some older BMW models being designed to allow either rear or front wheel to be removed while maintaining an upright centerstand posture. Think my R100RS did that. When did they get away from that? Seems like my '08 RT would do a forward pitch with front removed...or am I wrong?

My 2001 R1100RT is balanced. I can remove either wheel for a new tire and the bike will rest on the other wheel. I’d be surprised if your R12 won’t rest on the back tire when you remove the front- bags still mounted. But, you could always place something heavy on the rear rack.

My R100GS would balance. K75s, K100, K1100, R1150R, R1100RS and all 3 F650s were font heavy. I needed a jack or stand to remove the front wheel on all of these.

My R100GS would balance. K75s, K100, K1100, R1150R, R1100RS and all 3 F650s were font heavy. I needed a jack or stand to remove the front wheel on all of these.

Guess I must have a strange R1100RS because mine sits on its rear wheel when gas tank is at 3 bars and on its front when full. I can remove the front wheel with no problem and don't need a jack. Can also remove rear wheel without any extra support it just is balanced. same was true with my '04RT.

Guess I must have a strange R1100RS because mine sits on its rear wheel when gas tank is at 3 bars and on its front when full. I can remove the front wheel with no problem and don't need a jack. Can also remove rear wheel without any extra support it just is balanced. same was true with my '04RT.

Is this still true with the bags off? What is in the tail cone?

My 2012 R12GS won't do it. But, just today... Trading some worn out Continental Classic Attacks for some Michelin Pilot Activs.

IMG_0762-M.jpg

Is this still true with the bags off? What is in the tail cone?

You know I might have misspoke about balance on the R1150RT. I sold it a couple years ago and it had been awhile sense I installed new tires. Now on the R1100RSL I filled the tank this morning and with it parked in the garage on level concrete I can make it balance on the front or rear tire. If it's outside on level ground with a full tank it will rock back and forth between the front and rear tire in a very slight breeze while on the center stand. Only thing of any weight in the tail section is the tool kit. I don't have bags mounted. In fact the bags went away with the RT. Someday I'm going to have to solve the no bags problem. I never park it outside on the center stand only use the side stand with it in gear.

Come to think about it the bike does have a Sargent's back rest which is fairly heavy for a back rest.

That's a might pretty R100RS there, mighty pretty!

Back