• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ignition cuts out 91 R100

theDamun

Symptom: Ignition cuts out when the engine heats up. When this happens the dash lights go out. Bean can and coil are new from EME. Fresh plugs.

Here's a list of what I suspected and fixed. She's still cutting out so I'm at my wits end. What have I missed?
I installed a new rebuild Bean Can. So I eliminate that as a cause. The fact that the ignition recovers quickly also seems to rule out the HES, which typically would stay shut off once heated up.
Suspect the green circuit.
Rewire the green circuit. Bypass the grody white right perch connector and the kill switch. The dash lights now stay on when the ignition cuts out.
Rewire the black circuit. Eliminate the branch out to the PCV solinoids. Assure good ground to the ICU. No change.
Swap out the ICU for a known good ICU. The engine, bean can, coil are at the temp where she cuts out. The bike makes it almost all the way home before the ignition cuts out.
Pull the tank. Put the LED tester on the coil green. Start the bike. Light stays on when ignition cuts out, so it is not the power supply.
I did notice a dip at the voltmeter when the engine stumbled while running. I’ll have to do some more theoretical work. I have ordered a new battery, because sometimes we go all the way around the bend then discover its the battery Even though the volt meter is showing 13+ volts – but that could be the alternator, not the battery. So **** howdy, if voltage is going to the ignition circuit, it should not shut down. What have I missed?

What about renewing the heat sink paste on the ignition module mounting? Usually, failing ignition when engine heats up points to that.

What about renewing the heat sink paste on the ignition module mounting? Usually, failing ignition when engine heats up points to that.

Thanks. Did that with the "known good" ICU. The one that I replaced was the newer heavy duty type riveted to a big heat sink.

The symptom sounds like what I had with my 1989 R100GS. 10-20 minutes into the ride it stalled. I had to wait a minute before it fired up again. It was a flaky bean can.

A hint about dash lights and kill switch: the kill switch switches off power to the dash lights

So dash lights off and kill switch on could mean the power into the kill switch failed and hence the dash lights went out.

Did you measure the power on both solenoids at their connectors which are on top of the engine/starter cover?

Btw. what is 'HES'?

/Guenther

To check the ignition I would take a spare spark plug with me. When the motor stalls pull the spark plug wire and insert the spare spark plug and check for a spark.

/Guenther

Back