Thread: Memorial Day 2018

Memorial Day 2018

Before eating the hot dog this week end, hang yer flag, visit the cemetery, bow the head in reverence for the now over million citizens who gave it up for others. Just sayin, two cents. Godspeed.

My thoughts this time of year are made more significant by remembering a soldier in my unit who was KIA in Iraq. I struck up a long lasting coorespondence with his mother who sends me notes throughout the year, but especially at this time. It brings home that the sense of loss never fades for the mom's, dad's, wives and children of the fallen. RIP SSG David Douthit, gunner Cavalry Fighting Vehicle, Scout Platoon, 1-34 Armor, 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    Before eating the hot dog this week end, hang yer flag, visit the cemetery, bow the head in reverence for the now over million citizens who gave it up for others.
    I recently viewed a YouTube link of the 10 Oct 2017 Arlington internment with full military honors of 2nd Lt George Bussa, USMC, KIA at Tarawa 20 Nov 1943. His remains, along with others recently recovered and identified, have been returned home, seventy four years later. Memorial Day is about sacrifice remembered. But I wonder, in a country where today less than 1% serve in uniform, how sacrifice never known will continue to be "remembered." I suppose we may only hope it will be, with pride, respect and reverence.

Bussa Marker.jpg
    Last edited by 1957mpd; 05-27-2018 at 12:44 AM. Reason: typo/facts corrected
    "Soló el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible." Miguel de Unamuno 1905

Mark - Las Cruces, NM - '10 K1300S and '17 R1200 GSA

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

God bless these United States...…………….

For those having family and friends over for a cookout. Set up a card table with chair, table cloth, plate, silver ware, and a cold beer or whatever drink you chose. Put a RESERVED sign on it. When someone asks what it's for.

Tell them "That is in remembrance for those that didn't come back"
    My patience stops where the BS starts.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by smeg View Post
    For those having family and friends over for a cookout. Set up a card table with chair, table cloth, plate, silver ware, and a cold beer or whatever drink you chose. Put a RESERVED sign on it. When someone asks what it's for.

Tell them "That is in remembrance for those that didn't come back"
    Perfect!
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

This is the weekend to reflect and remember everyone that have given everything for our Freedoms. Please remember our fallen but also say Thank You to those that defend it today.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by oly223cal View Post
    This is the weekend to reflect and remember everyone that have given everything for our Freedoms. Please remember our fallen but also say Thank You to those that defend it today.
    Words so true.

This past Thursday, my son (a Staff Sgt. trained in 'Honor Detail') participated in a ceremony at Ft. Carson (CO Springs), adding two more names to the plaques commemorating those who have been lost among troops at that base. Two soldiers assigned to the Special Forces Unit attached to the 4th Inf. Div. there recently made the ultimate sacrifice, bringing Ft. Carson's Honor Roll to 399 since the 1st Gulf War.

Standing at attention while a widow and two young sons stood crying punctuates the meaning of this weekend.

May they rest in a peace that has eluded this world since the dawn of mankind.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

"You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Pittsburgh Steelers Alejandro Villanueva on Memorial Day

Army veteran and now NFL player, he offered this over the weekend past. I do not believe he is among those "taking a knee...."

https://www.steelers.com/video/villa...f-memorial-day
    "Soló el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible." Miguel de Unamuno 1905

Mark - Las Cruces, NM - '10 K1300S and '17 R1200 GSA

My Dad's big wish was that his children would see the end of veterans, unfortunately, that hasn't happened.

I know I'm late for Memorial Day sentiments, however thanks to all who served, and my sympathies to the family and friends of those who never came home.........Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class