Thread: Dash pod repair-help me fix my k1200gt instrument pod

Grandpa Jim

Dash pod repair-help me fix my k1200gt instrument pod

I tried to clean my 2003 K1200gt instrument pod using mineral spirits. Bad idea. Appears to have removed the finish. Any thoughts as to a fix? Also, how hard to remove the entire pod and possibly repaint the face? Please don't remind me what a bad idea this was. Thanks, Grandpa Jim, Chicago

Without a photo for us to see how bad the damage (and to rub it in a bit more!) it's hard to suggest the best approach for repairs.
    I do know there are a lot of nice paint styles available in rattle cans these days. I've had luck dressing up beat saddlebags with wrinkle-finish black. There are also a variety of satins, and hammered finishes. Check them out and see what strikes your fancy.
    If you put the mineral spirits on the Plexiglas gauge covers, you're simply screwed. Time to start shopping for someone parting out a wrecked bike.

Grandpa Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDiCarlo View Post
    Without a photo for us to see how bad the damage (and to rub it in a bit more!) it's hard to suggest the best approach for repairs.
    I do know there are a lot of nice paint styles available in rattle cans these days. I've had luck dressing up beat saddlebags with wrinkle-finish black. There are also a variety of satins, and hammered finishes. Check them out and see what strikes your fancy.
    If you put the mineral spirits on the Plexiglas gauge covers, you're simply screwed. Time to start shopping for someone parting out a wrecked bike.
    Jeff, Thanks for responding...

I'm not reluctant to try to repaint it, but have you ever removed a dash pod for easier access? Spraying it while still installed is probably not workable, and may worsen my problems. I did price a replacement pod face on the BMW OEM site, about $170.00. OUCH. So, a refinishing of some sort is the way to go. Any experience taking the pod out?

Thanks again - life is still pretty good! Happy Memorial Day! Jim