• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin's POI Loader - same POI's as Map updates?

sailorlite

I update the maps in my Nav V when updated CNNA's are available, and I do depend on the Nav V for fuel, lodging, food, attractions and other touring related POI's. But I've never tried to compare the Loader POI's with the map POI's.

My question is, is one version of those POI's more complete or up to date than the other? For gas stations, for example, am I missing anything by not using the POI Loader?

In my case I have used the POI loader to install custom POIs in addition to the included ones with the latest maps. I think of the POI loader as a tool, not a source for POIs

An example of custom POIs that can be loaded into your GPS is the POI Factory web site. This is a source of an incredible array of submitted POI collections that should satisfy most anybody's interest. My favorite lists are auto, motorcycle, airplane and locomotive museums. These are separate lists that you can call up when on the road to display in order of your proximity to them. I also have a complete list of federal, state, local and private campgrounds. Very handy. I suggest going to the POI factory site and look around. Everything from airplanes to zoos. The hardest thing is to bore down to the areas of interest useful to you within the memory constraints of your GPS.

Back