• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

7 pages of unread threads, Whaaaaat???

WalterK75

I'm getting seven pages of threads and it's because there are unread bits in each. I haven't read them because they are of no interest to me, so why, as of today, May 24th, are they suddenly showing up? This has never happened before and I can't see any way to mark them all read.

I'm seeing it to. I suspect there's been some kind of reset or maybe a server was rebooted. At the top of each forum, say Motorrad, Oilheads, etc., look under Forum Tools...there's a link there to mark the forum as read.

Also on the top banner under marketplace you can click the forum actions drop down arrow and click mark forums read which marks everything read in one shot. I usually click new posts on the far left, browse what I want then click mark forums read to keep just new stuff showing up.

Information I received is that we had a vBulletin version update today...that's likely the cause of this. It should settle down over a little bit of time as you visit the forum each time.

The original issue is still happening. Pages of posts showing after new post because I haven't read any of them.

Me, too, Walter. I've been "messing" with a setting on one of the screens and thought it might take care of things. Basically, what I was hoping to do is clear anything that was say 2 days old. Maybe it's not the right parameter.

One thing that I'm sure you've noticed. I go to Quick Links, and then Today's Posts. There will be a demarcation down the page that you might be able to use as "I don't need to read any of those." They represent posts since your last visit.

I'll continue to look.

I have been messing with this a bit trying to see how the software "compiles" a Member's visit. It seems that if you use what Kurt mentioned- Quick links > Today's posts, after a few days you will be able to go back to "New Posts" and only one page will show.
Information suggests that the "today's posts" is the way that most of the VB platforms (figuring daily visits) uses this software. Of course, if you have been away for a week, using "today's posts" suggests that a visitor will miss many of the previous days postings.
Gary

I have been messing with this a bit trying to see how the software "compiles" a Member's visit. It seems that if you use what Kurt mentioned- Quick links > Today's posts, after a few days you will be able to go back to "New Posts" and only one page will show.
Information suggests that the "today's posts" is the way that most of the VB platforms (figuring daily visits) uses this software. Of course, if you have been away for a week, using "today's posts" suggests that a visitor will miss many of the previous days postings.
Gary

Somehow this still doesn’t seem right or workable. Sunday night I got back from a weekend rally trip, opened the forum and “new posts”, read what I wanted, and marked all forums read. Today I go in and am once again getting the “contains no new posts but posts that are unread” pages. There has to be a way to turn this off, either individually or globally in the system. The system is obviously tracking one’s visits to the forums, knows what posts have been made since that time, and which posts have been read. Perhaps there’s a setting somewhere that can totally ignore unread posts that have been passed over in a previous viewing session? Or are we now stuck with having to mark all forums read every single time we enter the forums?

Best,
DG

DG -

I can't quite see what's happening to you. I've not been having any real issues using the method that I posted about. I probably visit the forum more often than you do. I made one change to the settings which I believe will turn posts to having been read after 1 day. So, if you don't read something or pass over forums that you don't have any interest in, I believe that posts which are 24 hours old or older will be switched to being read. Seems to be working that way for me.

Somehow this still doesn’t seem right or workable. Sunday night I got back from a weekend rally trip, opened the forum and “new posts”, read what I wanted, and marked all forums read. Today I go in and am once again getting the “contains no new posts but posts that are unread” pages. There has to be a way to turn this off, either individually or globally in the system. The system is obviously tracking one’s visits to the forums, knows what posts have been made since that time, and which posts have been read. Perhaps there’s a setting somewhere that can totally ignore unread posts that have been passed over in a previous viewing session? Or are we now stuck with having to mark all forums read every single time we enter the forums?

Best,
DG
Today's posts are today's posts. I'm pretty sure an absence from the forum will only give you "today's posts" when it is selected. If you select "new posts" you will see what you missed for days.
I never mark anything as read......haven't seen the need. :dunno
OM

As OP of this thread I am still getting unread threads showing up. Today I had another page of them. I sometimes use Forum Actions and select Mark Forums Read, but a day or so later it happens again.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but what setting do you have for this:

Settings > General Settings > Default Thread Age Cutoff --- this is found starting in the upper right of the screen.

Mine is set to Use Forum Default.

Today's posts are today's posts. I'm pretty sure an absence from the forum will only give you "today's posts" when it is selected. If you select "new posts" you will see what you missed for days.
I never mark anything as read......haven't seen the need. :dunno
OM

That’s fine, but once I return from a multi-day absence and hit New Posts, read/respond to those I wish to, then exit I would expect that on my next visit and selecting New Posts I should see only those threads that contain posts added since my last visit to the forums. That’s the way it used to work before the “upgrade”.

Best,
DG

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but what setting do you have for this:

Settings > General Settings > Default Thread Age Cutoff --- this is found starting in the upper right of the screen.

Mine is set to Use Forum Default.

Exactly how mine is set. What I need is a setting to “ignore/not display unread threads that have not changed since my last visit to the forums”

Best,
DG

DG -

Yeah, the "upgrade" was a sideways or non-upgrade in certain aspects. We were provided with this explanation by the vBulletin programmers for the recent upgrade:

4.2.5 has removed the obsolete thread marking option to mark read by cookies. It now marks threads read the correct way, which is database marking.

"New Posts" is ONLY supposed to show you threads with unread posts - otherwise they are not "New". Once read, they disappear from the list.

If you want to see all updated threads from the past 24 hours, use Today's Posts, which lists unread in bold and read in normal text.New Posts is supposed to show you threads with unread posts since last visit.

It is split into two parts...the top part is actual unread posts since last visit. Below that is a bar that states:
"The content below has not been updated since your last visit but may still contain unread items."
These will go back the seven days.

The old cookie based system was inaccurate and obsolete. It doesn't recognise read posts across devices. Back in 2003 when everyone used a single computer and there were no smartphones, that was fine. In the modern era, its behaviour is almost considered a bug. Removing it IS a good move because it didn't work as people expected and was the source of many tickets and complaints believing it to be broken.

Once a thread has been "read" then it will no longer appear in the New Posts list. If anyone wants a list of all threads that day, read or otherwise, use "Today's Posts", which shows unread in bold and read in standard type.

Those are the features that we have to operate within at this point. :dunno As I said, I think I changed a feature to turn unread threads to read threads after 24 hours. I haven't concluded that's really happening, but it seems to work for me. I use the Quick Links feature and only have a few threads that might need reviewing each time I visit.

That explains the problem with the old cookie method and multiple devices well which is why I much prefer the new method. I browse the forum multiple times a day on 4 different devices and now have no problems keeping up with new content. I click New Posts and it accurately shows me anything posted since my last visit regardless of device. I browse the list and read and respond to anything that catches my eye. Then I mark Forums read. If I immediately click New Posts it accurately shows me there is nothing new. A few hours later even on a different device New Posts shows me only content posted since I last marked Forums read. Rinse and repeat seems to work just fine for my needs.

Back