• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R90S barn find update

ruzneb

I've begun to disassemble the R90S. Started with the master cylinder. It's clean and ready to be sleeved and rebuilt. I planned to rebuild the disc brakes but ran into a problem. The bolts holding the units will not budge and it appears that someone put a wrench to one of them and damaged the bolt head. I was told by a Harley friend to use lots of heat from a torch but dont want to make the problem worse. Any ideas on how to safely remove the bolts? Many thanks in advance.

R90s bolts

I've begun to disassemble the R90S. Started with the master cylinder. It's clean and ready to be sleeved and rebuilt. I planned to rebuild the disc brakes but ran into a problem. The bolts holding the units will not budge and it appears that someone put a wrench to one of them and damaged the bolt head. I was told by a Harley friend to use lots of heat from a torch but dont want to make the problem worse. Any ideas on how to safely remove the bolts? Many thanks in advance.

The "bolts" that hold the calipers in place are actually pins or spindles. There are no threads on these pins. They're held in place by two sealing o-rings and the cap nut with spring.

You'll see a slot with a threaded center. Take one of the front axle pinch bolts off and thread it into the caliper bolt. Clamp something onto it and drive it out. Clean it up, check the two bushings that it rides in, and apply grease with new o-rings.

R90S caliper removal

The "bolts" that hold the calipers in place are actually pins or spindles. There are no threads on these pins. They're held in place by two sealing o-rings and the cap nut with spring.

You'll see a slot with a threaded center. Take one of the front axle pinch bolts off and thread it into the caliper bolt. Clamp something onto it and drive it out. Clean it up, check the two bushings that it rides in, and apply grease with new o-rings.

On pg 191 of the shop manual is a pix of what you've described. So the problem is trying to remove the cap nut-- that's what's locked up. Think heat will do the trick?

That large cap nut can be a problem. I would try a good penetrant like Aero Kroil. Get a good fitting wrench...19mm I believe...and a closed end if possible. While holding the wrench, then hit the other end of the wrench with a hammer or dead blow hammer. The shock helps to break it loose. You could heat the cap and let it cool, and hit it with the penetrant so it can wick in as it cools. Remember that it's lefty-loosey! You're looking at it from the top and be sure you're going in the loosening direction.

R90S cap nut

That large cap nut can be a problem. I would try a good penetrant like Aero Kroil. Get a good fitting wrench...19mm I believe...and a closed end if possible. While holding the wrench, then hit the other end of the wrench with a hammer or dead blow hammer. The shock helps to break it loose. You could heat the cap and let it cool, and hit it with the penetrant so it can wick in as it cools. Remember that it's lefty-loosey! You're looking at it from the top and be sure you're going in the loosening direction.

At least one of them(left side) has been chewed up a bit may have to use vice grip on it. Got plenty of Kroil so I'll try to remove them with a little heat. Got my fingers crossed.

Back