• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shoei Neotec 2 vs. Schuberth C3 Pro vs. Schuberth C4

bobcatbiker

Looking for a new helmet to replace my aging Shoei Multitec's (I have two). Since I'm hearing-impaired, noise attenuation is a big consideration, as well as the helmet's ability to accommodate hearing aids - full-face helmets tend to tear hearing aids off my ears when putting on / taking off a helmet. In looking online and chatting with a Revzilla rep, it appears that the Neotec 2 might be the way to go, but I'd like to give the Schuberth helmets due consideration, especially the C3 Pro, since the built-in accommodation for a comm system in the Neotec 2 and C4 isn't a priority. Unfortunately, I live in a small town in South Florida USA that's at least two hours away from a big city, so in-person comparison of all of these helmets isn't feasible. Feedback from those who have had first-person experience with any / all of these helmets would be appreciated.

You HAVE to try them on

I have a C3 Pro. It is OK, but not perfect. Yesterday I tried on the Neotec 2, just because I was in a shop]. It fit comfortably but strangely different. Small differences. Just depends on your head shape. Don't mail-order a helmet.

As for sound (quietness) I eventually went to wired earbuds (Splugs/Packtalk). There was more room in C3 for ear projections than the the Shoei that I tried, if that is important.

Last edited:
I have a C3 Pro. It is OK, but not perfect. Yesterday I tried on the Neotec 2, just because I was in a shop]. It fit comfortably but strangely different. Small differences. Just depends on your head shape. Don't mail-order a helmet.

As for sound (quietness) I eventually went to wired earbuds (Splugs/Packtalk). There was more room in C3 for ear projections than the the Shoei that I tried, if that is important.

Good description for what I felt when I tried on neotec 2, I am trying to replace my 5+ year old neotec ( best fitting helmet I ever put on) neotec 2 might be a little bit tighter around neck I felt a bit claustrophobic, again hard to replace a perfect fitting helmet.

I think it's worth adding the AGV Sport Modular to the list of eligible lids in your search. I recently received mine and (as a serial AGV user/wearer/buyer) am really pleased with it. 100% carbon fiber, very easy to install communications systems, exceptionally quiet, extremely light (CF, after all), and very comfortable. Unfortunately, made in China (unlike the other AGVs I have which were made in Italy) but still remarkable workmanship.

I buy helmets online after I have established fit for a certain brand/model. Normally, this has meant that I have purchased one in a retail environment and am simply purchasing additional units of the same type (I keep three helmets in the rotation). We have a Dainese store here in San Francisco, where I purchased my "first" units of the models I have then gone on to buy from online retailers. I would absolutely recommend buying helmets online, especially with sellers who have permissive return policies. At least one of the huge online motorcycle gear sellers allow helmet returns as long as it hasn't been used outdoors. It can be a little goofy wearing a helmet around the house for a couple of hours, but that's at least as effective as standing on a retail showroom floor and putting a helmet on for 80 seconds and making a decision that way. This is all to mention nothing of the obnoxious sales tax that retailers are typically compelled to retain on behalf of the government. And with helmets ranging from $800-$1500, that's no small cake.

... - full-face helmets tend to tear hearing aids off my ears when putting on / taking off a helmet. In looking online and chatting with a Revzilla rep, it appears that the Neotec 2 might be the way to go, but ...
I used to have that issue with my ear-plugs and fixed it by always using a helmet/skull cap. I tried a few and settled on two, the BMW one and the Long Distance Comfort one. They both helped a great deal in that area for me.

... I'd like to give the Schuberth helmets due consideration, especially the C3 Pro, since the built-in accommodation for a comm system in the Neotec 2 and C4 isn't a priority ...
I used a Sena comms system, but don't want to go to the "built-in" route because I don't want to have to change comm system units if I change helmet manufacturer or model. I've got a few helmets and simply switch the external Sena to the helmet I wnat to use that day.

I really like the features of the Neotec-2, and it would likely be my next helmet if you could mount an external comm system to it, but due to it's design, you have to use the proprietary system which is a no-go for me. I want a reasonable amount of freedom of choice for the future and not be tied into one unit.

The Schuberth and Shoei are totally different head shapes. How can they both fit you?
Bruce, I'm not sure where you got that from? Have you seen any concrete head-shape info on the Neotec-2?

Every thing I've seen on the Neotec-2 (sketchy on shape) seems to place it either in the same or next to the ajoining shape category for the C3-Pro in fitment categories. Revzilla suggest they're the same shape (Revzilla should be commended for coming into the 21st century and including helemt shape in it's selection criteria, but they use only 3 categories that far too broad to be as helpful as one would like. Webbike use 6 categories which is more helpful and they seem to place it in the neutral to slightly narrow area. Given that proximity, there are head shape out there that could be comfortable with either of the two. Not all head shapes that will be comfortable with the C3-Pro will be comfortable with the Neotec-2, but if they are indeed next to each other in shape then there will be a group that overlaps and may be fine (comfortable) with either.
bell-curve.jpg

Hi guys,

For what it’s worth, I was also in the market for a new modular helmet that I could put on and remove without ripping my ears off while wearing a pair of custom moulded earphones.

I’ve been wearing Shoei’s almost exclusively for the last few years as they just fit my head shape (RF-1000, RF-1100 and hornet X2), but was very interested in the Schuberth C3 pro, E1 or touratech version the Aventuro Mod (heard the C4 wasn’t as suitable to an upright seating position (I ride a GSA) and not as quiet as the C3 derivatives) As a few have mentioned, yeah the Shuberths and Shoei fit different heads, plus I found the chin bar on the Schuberth too close to my jaw, to the point that I didn’t think it would accommodate my SENA microphone unless it was right against my mouth (it was better if I sized up to an XL, but then the fit sucked so, Shoei it was.

Rather than grab the original Neotech (which fit me well like other Shoei’s), I decided to wait for the Neotec 2 to come out, and I’m glad I did. I love this helmet.

It fits me the same as all my other shoei’s, is well made and feels solid, pretty decent wind and ambient noise proofing for a full face, actually quite a bit quieter than the other full face and ADV helmets I own and while it is set up for the proprietary SENA SRL, I too like to move my com unit from helmet to helmet and was able to attach my existing 20S to the outside of the neotec 2 using the SENA sticky mount and the shorter wired boom mic inside the cheek pads. It sits a little further back due to the position of the SRL mounting spaces but still works great actually and still allows me the ability to plug the custom earphones directly into the SENA so as to control my music by using the jog dial.

Long story short, I found the neotech 2 fits like other Shoei’s (actually a bit better to tell the truth as I don’t have any pressure points on the top of my forehead as opposed to the Hornet X2, and I can still use the regular SENA 20S using the sticky mount instead of the clamp mount.

Hope that helps,

Scott

... was able to attach my existing 20S to the outside of the neotec 2 using the SENA sticky mount...
Scott, can you post a picture of the 20S mounted on your Neotec-2? Are you fine with using it in that position?

I haven't tried a Shoei yet, so I don't know if it will fit but plan on being able to check that out in the next few weeks. I like everything I've read about it as far as the testing goes, etc., and really like the looks, especially the Matte Metallic Blue.

Just got back from a 6,600 mile, 30 day trip with a NEOTECH 2's my wife and I picked up the day before we left (late delivery). We both found the helmets to be very comfortable, I had no hot spots, my wife had issues wearing glasses and trying to have hair in a pony tail, but this passed after a few days. Very good, quiet airflow. Quiet, better than our Arai full coverage helmets. The visor locks in very tight, no wind whistle or rain leaks. I really like the new ratchet closure - much faster and comfortable versus double d-rings. Great fit and finish. I can ride with the face piece up without getting wind whipped.

We like the helmets a lot. I ordered the Sena SRL communicator system upon our return. We had UClear pods hanging off the helmets which worked very well most of the trip. UClear to their benefit replaced the units with new ones immediately, without questions.

I'm glad we bought the new Neotach 2, they are worth the bucks based on performance and the build looks like they will give us many years of good service.

Note: We had great service from the BMW dealers in Fort Collins, Co and Grand Junction, CO getting us in for required maintenance. I called four days ahead and they both worked us in. We will give the Boise BMW dealer an F, they knew we were on the road and wouldn't work us in for over 10-days - Bad Business........Too bad as we spend a lot of time in Idaho....maybe we just take the KTM's!

Hi guys,

For what it’s worth, I was also in the market for a new modular helmet that I could put on and remove without ripping my ears off while wearing a pair of custom moulded earphones.

I’ve been wearing Shoei’s almost exclusively for the last few years as they just fit my head shape (RF-1000, RF-1100 and hornet X2), but was very interested in the Schuberth C3 pro, E1 or touratech version the Aventuro Mod (heard the C4 wasn’t as suitable to an upright seating position (I ride a GSA) and not as quiet as the C3 derivatives) As a few have mentioned, yeah the Shuberths and Shoei fit different heads, plus I found the chin bar on the Schuberth too close to my jaw, to the point that I didn’t think it would accommodate my SENA microphone unless it was right against my mouth (it was better if I sized up to an XL, but then the fit sucked so, Shoei it was.

Rather than grab the original Neotech (which fit me well like other Shoei’s), I decided to wait for the Neotec 2 to come out, and I’m glad I did. I love this helmet.

It fits me the same as all my other shoei’s, is well made and feels solid, pretty decent wind and ambient noise proofing for a full face, actually quite a bit quieter than the other full face and ADV helmets I own and while it is set up for the proprietary SENA SRL, I too like to move my com unit from helmet to helmet and was able to attach my existing 20S to the outside of the neotec 2 using the SENA sticky mount and the shorter wired boom mic inside the cheek pads. It sits a little further back due to the position of the SRL mounting spaces but still works great actually and still allows me the ability to plug the custom earphones directly into the SENA so as to control my music by using the jog dial.

Long story short, I found the neotech 2 fits like other Shoei’s (actually a bit better to tell the truth as I don’t have any pressure points on the top of my forehead as opposed to the Hornet X2, and I can still use the regular SENA 20S using the sticky mount instead of the clamp mount.

Hope that helps,

Scott

To emphasize what Alan Coles said, I also used to have the problem when putting on/taking off a helmet, but started using the BMW skull cap. In addition to making it easy for putting on the helmet and taking it off, the added benefit is it's much cooler in hot weather. Putting on a skull cap would seem to be counter to keeping you cool, but it works great (no, not necessary to wet it).

Alan,

Let me know if these are sufficient or if you need more angles. I don’t have any issue with it being back approx. 2-3 inches from where I used to mount the unit, after a couple of rides it was a non issue. Where I have it allows unimpeded access to the visor slider and has enough of the sticky mount on the actual helmet as opposed to being right on the removable piece to keep me reassured it’s not going to fall off. After two weeks it hasn’t budged and I didn’t do anything extra like build up low spots with extra adhesive tape. Pretty much good to go.F42C7B7C-CFA4-4036-B87C-A9AB9D3CA8B9.jpgDA4C1613-83BC-4D65-A329-A34C78CEBDB4.jpg94B6713D-F8CB-405A-9025-878C157E89B7.jpgB0DCBAA7-67CD-492C-B7A0-862912E0AE3C.jpg238FBF2A-CDC4-4FF9-9443-687D0354731A.jpg

Bruce, I'm not sure where you got that from? Have you seen any concrete head-shape info on the Neotec-2?

I actually purchased a C3 and then C4 and had to return them. Since Touratech is in my backyard, I even went to them and purchased an Aventuro Mod, which is a modified C3 helmet. Every single one I had to return because it didn't fit my head shape. I then purchased the Neo 2 Excursion to replace my Neotec Imminant and fits perfectly. I did buy a Touratech Aventuro Carbon, which is based on a Nexx XD1 and it also fits. I tried Schuberth helmets 3 times with no luck!

The other thing I forgot to mention was price. I had seen another thread on here regarding prices for the Neotec 2 stating Helmet Country out of New York was very competitively priced for MOA members. I contacted them and asked for Jeff and mentioned that I heard about their site on this forum. Regular price on the excursion models is listed at $799 USD, Helmet Country shipped for $625 USD. Tough price to beat...

I'm looking to replace my Schuberth C3 sometime this year. I tried on the AGV Sportmodular and it seemed pretty comfortable and very light. AGV has worked with Sena for a custom comm system but doesn't seem to be available quite yet (but the rep showed me how it will install on the helmet which looks very slick).
Likely I'll end up going with either the Shoei Neotech 2 or the AGV Sportmodular.

I have been wearing a Shoei GT-Air for the last four years, but just bought a Neotec II Excusrion from my local BMW dealer here in northern Virginia, paying $599 USD. They discounted the $799 list price by $120, and I also had $80 in points to use from earlier purchases of jacket/pants from them. I don't actually have the helmet yet, as they had to order in the colour I wanted (black/white). I also bought the Sena SRL from a motorcycle shop in Ottawa ON, as I could not find one anywhere in the U.S. (Revzilla kept slipping their expected in-stock date, until they finally just dropped it completely). I was back in Ottawa for a week, and I called around to five dealers, finally finding one with one intercom in stock, though several of the other dealers said they could have one within a few days, as the distributor had stock of the SRL. It doesn't bother me in the least having an intercom that fits only that specific helmet.

I was able to go to the closest BMW dealer, which happened to be 65 miles away (one of the hazards of living in a small Florida town) and do a back to back comparison between a C4 and a Neotec II - the Neotec won out, primarily for fit. The C4 was too round, despite being considered the same shape as the Neotec on the Revzilla site. After about 300 miles on the helmet, it was definitely a good choice. The Neotec is astoundingly quiet - so much so that I no longer need to use the noise attenuation settings in my hearing aids AND turn down the volume. The helmet is also much more aerodynamic, such that it’s not as affected by side-winds as the Multitec was. The only criticism I have is one that i’ve seen in most reviews, which is the lack of a face shield detent that allows the shield to be slightly opened. With the Pinlock, fogging’s not a problem, but being able to crack the shield slightly is good in the South Florida heat.

The other thing I forgot to mention was price. I had seen another thread on here regarding prices for the Neotec 2 stating Helmet Country out of New York was very competitively priced for MOA members. I contacted them and asked for Jeff and mentioned that I heard about their site on this forum. Regular price on the excursion models is listed at $799 USD, Helmet Country shipped for $625 USD. Tough price to beat...

Thanks CA, Ordered an Neotech 2 Excursion TC3 from Jeff today! Amazing deal....ya can't beat it!

Thanks again! :thumb

I've had a weird experience. I bought a C3 Pro and liked it a lot. It was a tad uncomfortable at first but I thought it would break in. It never did. Thousands of miles and after an hour, I had to pull over and rip it off. So I bought a Neotec 3--my first Shoei. It was very comfortable at first but, weirdly, has gotten increasingly uncomfortable as I've worn it. The only thing I can figure is that the foam in the lining has compressed. Now I can barely wear it an hour.

I clearly have an Arai head--I used them for years but really wanted a modular with a sunscreen and something quieter. But now I have a very expensive Schuberth and Shoei that I can't wear all day.

Maybe I'll just buy a Harley so that I can wear half helmet.

I would add the Klim TX 1200 to the mix. I like mine after selling a Neotec and Schuberth nearly new at significant losses. Fit is personal, but it fits me as well as an Arai RX-Q or Quantum. Transitions shield with pinlock capability (gets very dark quickly in bright sun). Great field of view. Super light carbon fiber shell. Seven positive detents for shield. Ingenious chinstrap latch. Secure modular face bar with breakaway feature in the open position. Good venting. Noise level about the same as Schuberth but not as good as Arai.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Noise level about the same as Schuberth but not as good as Arai.

It's interesting how noise level is so dependent on the bike and on the rider's position. On my RT, a Schuberth is significantly quieter than an Arai. But I had my Arai on when I did a demo ride on an R9T and with no windscreen, the Arai was whisper quiet.

Back